68 Custom Princeton Reverb - Speaker choice

What's Hot
fandangofandango Frets: 2204
Having checked out some past Princeton posts, and being in possession of one of these amps, I thought I'd ask about folks' experience with speakers - both OEM and replacement.

I've got an original-spec Celestion Ten-30, and want to overcome the amplifier's natural looseness at low frequencies (without compromising the tone). Tightening it up a little whilst keeping the thickness of tone.

I am aware of some of the characteristics of the amp, and would like to know what works and doesn't work. Any thoughts? Comments? Do's and dont's?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Ragin' Cajun ought to be a consideration.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Celestion Gold has improved my silverface Princeton hugely

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    JohnPerry said:
    Celestion Gold has improved my silverface Princeton hugely
    In what way? Louder? Tonally, and how? Headroom? Breakup? Sorry, trying not to be the spanish inquisition .....
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

'Cos NO ONE expects The Spanish Inquisition!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    a mate of mine put a 12" cannabis rex in his - amazing, sounds just as sweet as my deluxe reverb with a creamback, but a little quieter!
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    yes, sorry. I had a 12-inch Cannabis Rex in mine for a bit and it was great, then a WGS which was OK, but the Gold is just livelier in all departments, tighter and richer bass, nice top end (more chime). Not sure it's any louder, much the same I think.

It's my favourite speaker overall, the Gold. Also tried the Princeton briefly with a ten-inch Gold and that was fantastic too. Something about Celestions really works for me with these old Fender amps

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Celestion Greenback

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited May 2017
    a mate of mine put a 12" cannabis rex in his - amazing, sounds just as sweet as my deluxe reverb with a creamback, but a little quieter!
    Was going to suggest the same based on my experience of this speaker with a deluxe reverb. Beautifully clear and balanced at all volumes, and it doesn't have a huge magnet so shouldn't be too difficult to fit in a Princeton cab
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    Following the other thread, I've just got myself a Princeton 68 as well... really chuffed! I'll leave the factory speaker in there for a little while to break it in properly (it wasn't played much by the previous owner) but I am also going to experiment with a Celestion G10 Vintage since I've already got one that isn't being used.

Are people using alternative baffles to fit 12" speakers in theirs or modifying the existing one?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I like the Celestion G10 Vintage.
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 616
    Morning all, has anyone tried a 12 inch creamback? I have one in my Blues Deluxe that I was thinking of trying in my Princeton 68