Suhr Rufus fuzz - who's played one?

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
I have have two nice fuzzes: a fulltone 70 which is great stacked or for fizzy riffage solo & a lunar module which is beautiful for leads. 
But... I watched the Ian Thorley demo posted on the fuzz thread and it sounds epic.

How does it compare say to the above pedals or a typical fuzz face?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I've had a couple of them and it's probably my favourite ever fuzz pedal. Fussier regarding placement in the signal chain than they'd have you believe though.
    Tonally, its a different flavour to the Lunar Module and FF types. For something similar look to the Magnetic Effects White Atom (which is a lot less fussy about where it is and what's around it).
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Best fuzz pedal ever - and I hate fuzz.  It has two modes a red and a green. The green is a lighter fuzz and the red is more of a heavy fuzz.  Actually I'd say it borders on a fuzzy overdrive.  

it does the grunge sound really well.  

For leads I'd say this tone sums up the pedal perfectly. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    I've had one. 

It was alright and it's a bit more usable and less fussy than a lot of fuzz pedals, but I much prefered the Lunar Module, Velvet and Fallout Cloud.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    I'm intrigued too. It seems like a Fuzz that really divides opinion between epic and awful. 
    I'm a bit of a Suhr fanboy when it comes to pedals - i have a Koji Comp, Jack Rabbit tremolo and Koko Reloaded on my board and think they are brilliant so the chances are I'd like it.
    FWIW,  the bloke I bought my White Atom from had a Rufus (previously) and told me not to waste my time as the White Atom was much better.. 
    I still want to try one though.....

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Beexter said:
    I'm intrigued too. It seems like a Fuzz that really divides opinion between epic and awful. 
    I'm a bit of a Suhr fanboy when it comes to pedals - i have a Koji Comp, Jack Rabbit tremolo and Koko Reloaded on my board and think they are brilliant so the chances are I'd like it.

You say that, but the Jack Rabbit is my favorite Trem, the Koji is my favorite comp the Riot and Koko are also amongst my favorites, but I only found the Rufus to be average.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Not I good sir. Fuzz is the absolute contrary to 'epic'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I'm selling both my Rufus and Rufus Reloaded since I've gone to a Helix and its models are good enough. But I really like both of these and the clever dual-mode switch gives some versatility.

@Winny_Pooh - where are you based?
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4534

@Winny_Pooh - where are you based?
    100 Acre Wood of course
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited May 2017
    @hubobulous ; London SW
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    @hubobulous second dibs on either of these please, also in SW London