Matt finish

Def90Def90 Frets: 0
Hi all, new member here.  Quick question:

I have a new Classical guitar.  It's a Hudson, not that expensive, but bought as a way of getting back into classical style (already have a Takamine steel strung). The Hudson has a matt finish, which looked great in the shop and during the test drive, but in daily playing I am finding it makes a lot of noise when my fingers brush over it, like a hissing sound.  Probably bad technique, but I don't get it on my other guitar, which has a gloss finish.  Is there anything I can use to smooth off the finish? The instrument is a gift from my nearest and dearest, so attacking it with 1200 grit is not an option! Just looking for ideas really.  Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Try a bit of T-Cut on a small unobtrusive area. See what that gives.
  • Def90Def90 Frets: 0
    Hmm. That might work. Thanks :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    A clear pickguard (even though you don't use a pick!) or flamenco-style 'golpe' plates would probably work too, if it's just in the immediate playing area.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Def90Def90 Frets: 0
    Sorry - been away on holiday :) Pickguard or plates might work. It's mainly when my fingers brush the top as I am playing. Like I say, probably bad technique, but I don't get it with any other guitar.  I'm beginning to think that a respray with gloss lacquer is the only permanent cure.  That's a bit drastic, really.  Thank for your thoughts.
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    kinda odd this one DEF, it sounds like u've got WHAT USED TO BE CALLED AN 'EGGSHELL'  finish on that guitar - kinda rough - like an eggshell - very strange.
    I have a 'matt' / satin finish on a guitar and it doesn't 'make a noise' when I rub my hand on it. It is rubbed down with 0000 (or more '0's') to get that non gloss look - by the manufacturer, you could try this.
    If you dont mind me being candid - a respray on a <> 250 quid guitar is - put simply, overkill.
    Sell the guitar and get a guitar that don't 'hiss'.