Swapping between Gibson/Fenders

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I've no idea how anyone can play 7.25 radius! Feels so cramped and unnatural, especially when bending the high E. I am a Fender man though, although 9.5 Fender. Whether that actually makes me a true Fender man or not I guess is up for debate! 

Cant get on with Gibsons as the overal body shape/neck feels too substantial. I switch between a couple of CS Fenders and PRS (w/t and w/f) and everything is gravy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited May 2017
    People complaining about the ergonomics of Gibsons, there's more to them than the LP. To me the SG is the comfiest guitar going, way better than a strat.

I just can't get used to the longer scale length of a fender. Makes everything feel harder to play and I dont subscribe to the whole "I like a bit of fight in my guitar" bollocks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I used to struggle a lot - to the point that I sold my first Les Paul because it felt like a ukulele!

Now I don't even notice it, as others have said - play both a lot, and practice changing, so play a couple on a strat and then switch to a Gibson etc.

Very quickly you'll not notice any difference

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    I have the same problem Ronnie, main guitar is an R8 (10's) and swapping to a Fender (fat neck strat with 10's) mid gig takes a lot of concentration and a fair few clams for a couple of song. I haven't found a simple solution other than lots of practice with both guitars.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Typical gigs for me feature a 76 strat, an AVRI52 Tele and a Gibson ES335. At first the Gibson with the flat radius and flat 'c' shaped neck was the problem and took me a long time (many months) to get comfortable with, I'm glad I stuck at it. Nowadays the 7.5" radius of the Tele seems to be the difficult one.
    I do have dedicated straps for each guitar (albeit on detachable locks) and find having the correct length/playing position is important. Live I swap guitars on average every 4 numbers so the struggle is real.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    It seems to be string spacing at the bridge/picking area that I struggle with. When I switch from a guitar with narrower spacing like a TOM to one with wider spacing like a typical Strat tremolo, I find myself missing strings with the pick.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Solution is get 2 PRS customs then you can get any sound you want (virtually) and no hassles with changing around. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited May 2017
    Don't swap?
    Solution 1 - Les Paul, ES335, Fender Cyclone
    Solution 2 - Tele Deluxe, Starcaster, Strat

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    NelsonP said:
    Don't swap?
    Solution 1 - Les Paul, ES335, Fender Cyclone
    Solution 2 - Tele Deluxe, Starcaster, Strat

Solution 2 - Tele Deluxe, Starcaster, Strat and a Gibson Nighthawk.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    I used to be a Gibson guy but switched to Strats, which I found easier than I expected.  Now I dabble a bit in both.  I prefer Gibson scale length but find Strats have a wider range of sounds I like.

My main issue is that while I can play just about any style on a Strat, I struggle to get clean or touch-of-breakup rhythm sounds on a Gibson that I like and will cut through in a live mix.  I know it can be done, I hear other guys doing it, but I can't get happy with it myself.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited May 2017
    Solution is get 2 PRS customs then you can get any sound you want (virtually) and no hassles with changing around. 
    Why 2 PRS'?? One Cu24 will do it - h/b and single-coil tones in one guitar.  However, whilst I like my Cu24, and it's a very versatile guitar, it's a compromise because it has its own tonal character that doesn't sound exactly like a Strat nor exactly like a Les Paul. Sometimes it's fine, but other times only a Les Paul and a Strat will do.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited May 2017
    I used to be a Gibson guy but switched to Strats, which I found easier than I expected.  Now I dabble a bit in both.  I prefer Gibson scale length but find Strats have a wider range of sounds I like.

My main issue is that while I can play just about any style on a Strat, I struggle to get clean or touch-of-breakup rhythm sounds on a Gibson that I like and will cut through in a live mix.  I know it can be done, I hear other guys doing it, but I can't get happy with it myself.
    There are a few ways to help a LP sound a little 'tamer' for cleaner/touch of break-up tones:
    1. Lowering the p/up heights
    2. If your amp has both Hi & Lo input impedance options, plugging into the Lo input
    3. Rolling off the guitar volume a little to help clean your tone.
    4. Using a boutique pedal to 'pseudo' coil-tap your guitar.  I have a Quasi Tap pedal that does this very well.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    In truth they're usually both lovely instruments to play.  At times when I catch myself inwardly complaining about one or the other I try to think about what someone like JJ Cale or Lightnin' Hopkins might say/think.  Not too much I don't think.  I think they'd just get into playing and enjoying whatever the guitar had to offer.  They're different types of guitar for sure but both are highly useable and enjoyable.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Voxman said:

There are a few ways to help a LP sound a little 'tamer' for cleaner/touch of break-up tones:
    2. If your amp has both Hi & Lo input impedance options, plugging into the Lo input
    4. Using a boutique pedal to 'pseudo' coil-tap your guitar.  I have a Quasi Tap pedal that does this very well.

Watching that makes me want to get a LP
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2594
    edited May 2017
    Voxman said:

Yeah interesting.  I have other solutions - I have a DGT and a Les Paul Axcess with Bareknuckes and coil tap features and of course I can bring a Strat.  It still frustrating when I see a guy like that bloke in Jools Holland's band and he plays a 335 and covers everything short of loud rock including funk and swing.  I struggle to get useable funk sounds out of my 339/336 and anything with a bit of hair on threatens to get lost in the mix unless it's at a volume that's not appropriate for some styles.  Sometimes I wonder if it's all in my head though - I really want to hear something Stratty and convince myself that the humbucker sounds wrong when it's actually doing the job perfectly ok.

My current frustration is I'm playing in a retro band where a Gibson semi really looks the part better than a Suhr or DGT but doesn't sound the as good to my ears.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I switch between many Les Pauls, Strat, Schecter, G&L Asat (Tele) and never really have much of an issue with blind position shifts.
    If I neglect the long scale ones for many months I might struggle going from the fat end to the dusty end unsighted for a few minutes.
    Biggest upset was getting the Kobain Jag. I was at sea on that without watching the fretboard!!