Tone pros tailpiece and bridge

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 914
Has anybody got any experience of these upgrades for a standard  bridge on a Gibson ? What are the benefits ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    I haven't installed them on a Gibson, but if you've already got a good quality bridge and tailpiece of similar construction you'll probably only gain the locking aspect, which is nice if you take all the strings off but otherwise unnecessary.  I'm not convinced it'll make any difference to the tone just by locking

I installed just the locking studs on my PRS' a while ago and posted a review thread, might be of use http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/45944/so-i-installed-tonepros-locking-studs-for-prs-wraparound-last-month#latest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    The locking aspect is handy for not loosing height adjustment settings for the bridge and tailpiece each time that the strings are changed. I find this especially helpful on a guitar to which I fitted a Roland GK Kit hexaphonic pickup and controls system.  
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14234
    tFB Trader
    I haven't installed them on a Gibson, but if you've already got a good quality bridge and tailpiece of similar construction you'll probably only gain the locking aspect, which is nice if you take all the strings off but otherwise unnecessary.  I'm not convinced it'll make any difference to the tone just by locking

I installed just the locking studs on my PRS' a while ago and posted a review thread, might be of use http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/45944/so-i-installed-tonepros-locking-studs-for-prs-wraparound-last-month#latest
    I tend to agree with that - I don't think they sound any better than a good bridge - the locking feature is the main benefit - Think there is an upgrade in tonal character on a Faber bridge and tailpiece if tht helps
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited May 2017
    The Faber stuff is as good at half the price. TonePros is silly expensive, preying on the uncertainty of punters.

Many actually prefer the standard Gibson stopbar to the lightweight alternatives. The locking studs are handy for string changes as mentioned - as for impact on tone, I've seen people argue it back and forth all day long, there's nothing conclusive.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I have a locking Tone Pros stop bar on my 335 - great when changing strings. Otherwise, I'm not convinced there's any real benefit.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The set on my Morgan works as one would expect. Easier to restring as well. 
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1218
    tFB Trader
    We fit all our Khamsin (LP) models as standard with the Tone Pros TOM & Stoptail, great little unit with a nice sound, not to heavy and the locking feature just helps keep everything more stable.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Faber is as good as any

If you want to lock it just get appropriate size steel screws cut down to length and lock it against the thumbwheel

No need for anything fancy imo
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    edited May 2017
    +1 on the Faber stuff - looks neat, lightweight, sounds IMHO better than stock Gibson (non-RI). I got the locking tailpiece, wish I'd got the locking studs for the bridge but I guess I can always retrofit that later
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    Just get the right thread size pan head bolt in steel then cut to length and screw in to lock it in place

I never bother tbh
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    The Faber are very good . We keep the tonePros in stock and to be fair they are very good 
    I use their version of the large post tunamatic on my custom builds
    What I do like a lot ifs the split locking tailpiece studs that just hold the stop-bar rigid and I tend to favour using an aluminium tailpiece too.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    Will probably go with the Faber because of the cost.