Dorje' gear nicked in Berlin

What's Hot

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Someone posted this on the Andertons link...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2014/08/27/3-entrepreneurs-who-changed-their-lives-with-youtube/amp/

The final paragraph is worth reading. IF that's true, then I'm quite shocked about how successful it's possible to get via you tube.

And of course it sounds like he has the bank balance to pay whatever insurance would have cost or even replace the bands loss without an issue at all, instead fans are finding it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    Fretwired said:. That's not too far removed from us when we set this place up; we went into it knowing it was going to cost us money, and set up the PayPal account after many of you guys practically hounded us to do so.
    Yes, but the FB is not a money making commodity, asking for handouts.
    Equally, while Dorje is a money-making entity, they're not asking for handouts per se. The sequence of events was:

1 - Rob/Bea/Dave posted on Facebook
    2 - People asked how they can donate (repeatedly and often)
    3 - Dan set up the GFM account

Aside from the profit-making issue (and, let's face it, Dorje isn't going to make any of them rich - even Bea admitted that it was a for-fun thing in one of his recent videos, although it probably has more of a profit than most original bands), the sequence of events is the same.
    <space for hire>
    underdog said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karstenstrauss/2014/08/27/3-entrepreneurs-who-changed-their-lives-with-youtube/amp/

The final paragraph is worth reading. IF that's true, then I'm quite shocked about how successful it's possible to get via you tube.

And of course it sounds like he has the bank balance to pay whatever insurance would have cost or even replace the bands loss without an issue at all, instead fans are finding it.
    I hate that I'm coming down on this particular side of it, but...why should he? I make more money than anybody else in my band. Does that mean that if they lose uninsured shit on tour, I should pay for it? Should I pay for their insurance?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    The fundraising thing does make me uncomfortable, particularly in light of other things going on in the world right now but each to their own.
    Leaving stuff like that in a bus, uninsured, is just very, very stupid.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    underdog said:

I hate that I'm coming down on this particular side of it, but...why should he? I make more money than anybody else in my band. Does that mean that if they lose uninsured shit on tour, I should pay for it? Should I pay for their insurance?
    Bang on.
    If it was comunal gear or his fault then sure, stump up. But it doesn't seem to be. 

But I do wish they had said thanks but no thanks to the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    If Dorje want to redeem a shred of credibility they should take the gofundme down immediately as it just looks like they are asking for handouts whilst being more than capable of covering their loss which insurance would have taken care of.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I think Chappers is a pretty cool guy, eh kills aleins and doesn't afraid of anything.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    underdog said:

Of course it doesn't, but getting the public to fund it is cheeky (not saying Rob set that up) and I'd do it for my mates if I could to be honest with you.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Guess most are not donating then?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755

...and good for him!

I hope they will get (some at least) of their gear back and I'm sure no teenager will suddenly send them their 'life' savings.

I am also hoping that what @digitalscream  said - they DID NOT insured their stuff AND trying to raise some money now too.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    skunkwerx said:
    Well, I know my car insurance covers me to ONE place of work.. a fixed place of work. 

So when the store asks me to cover another store for a day... ugh, no can do boss, unless you foot the train ticket costs. 

Regarding Hmrc for addition earnings. 

You can earn up to £2k a year (or there abouts) doing whatever you like (legally). Its called casual income/earnings. Hmrc cannot touch it. I believe you still have to declare it though. 

Theres a gov page on it. 
    How does that roll with your contract?

Every work contract I've ever had includes 
    "The company reserves the right to request you to work at any one of our sites" or some such legal phooey. 
    Do you want a black and white answer or a proper one?
    Black and white please. 

Otherwise i get all itchy. 
    I can answer the car insurance one. I worked in the industry for 16 years.

The standard wording of "Social, Domestic and Pleasure including commuting" usually references a "permanent place of work". The deeper wording then clarifies that all this means, is you must be driving from home (or wherever) to work or from work to home. Class one business use then adds the cover for you to use your vehicle to drive to different places of work whilst working. Sometime, your job dictates that Class 1 insurance is not appropriate. It will make references to exclusions such as sales/commercial travelling or "transporting passengers or goods for hire or reward". In those cases you would need a higher rate of insurance.

Essentially, if your employer asks you to go to a different branch for the day, provided you are "commuting" there rather than going from your normal place of work to another, you are still commuting. You could conceivably argue that you haven't arrived at work yet, when you get shunted on to another branch, and thus are still commuting. Most insurers would't be dicks about that. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    skunkwerx said:
    Well, I know my car insurance covers me to ONE place of work.. a fixed place of work. 

So when the store asks me to cover another store for a day... ugh, no can do boss, unless you foot the train ticket costs. 

You can earn up to £2k a year (or there abouts) doing whatever you like (legally). Its called casual income/earnings. Hmrc cannot touch it. I believe you still have to declare it though. 

Theres a gov page on it. 

"The company reserves the right to request you to work at any one of our sites" or some such legal phooey. 
    Black and white please. 

I can answer the car insurance bit, worked in that racket for 16 years.

SDP&C is: Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Commuting to and from a permanent place of work. 

The key word is commuting. If you drive from home or wherever, to a place of work, you are commuting. If you drive from one branch / office to another as part of your job, you are not commuting and therefore need at least Class 1 business use. (Higher classes will depend on why you are driving or what your job is. EG commercial travelling / sales, carrying goods or passengers for money etc) 

So, in this example, if you are asked to go to a different store for a day, as long as you commute there, you are fine. If you got a call while driving to your normal branch asking you to go to another one, you are still commuting and this is not a problem.

If you have more than one job, you can only commute to one job at a time, so you are still commuting. 

skunkwerx said:

Theres a gov page on it. 

Black and white please. 

I can answer the car insurance bit, worked in that racket for 16 years.

SDP&C is: Social, Domestic, Pleasure and Commuting to and from a permanent place of work. 

The key word is commuting. If you drive from home or wherever, to a place of work, you are commuting. If you drive from one branch / office to another as part of your job, you are not commuting and therefore need at least Class 1 business use. (Higher classes will depend on why you are driving or what your job is. EG commercial travelling / sales, carrying goods or passengers for money etc) 

So, in this example, if you are asked to go to a different store for a day, as long as you commute there, you are fine. If you got a call while driving to your normal branch asking you to go to another one, you are still commuting and this is not a problem.

If you have more than one job, you can only commute to one job at a time, so you are still commuting. 

Agh! Triple post! Sorry...I got auto modded!

• ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    "If you have more than one job, you can only commute to one job at a time, so you are still commuting. "

That's the opposite of what I was told.

Commuting = Travelling from home to your primary place of work (e.g. Delmonte Head Office)

Business = Travelling from home or work to a secondary place of work (e.g. Juicing factory, orange orchard or customer offices).

I got business insurance after that and it cost about £25.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Elwood said:
    "If you have more than one job, you can only commute to one job at a time, so you are still commuting. "

Commuting = Travelling from home to your primary place of work (e.g. Delmonte Head Office)

Business = Travelling from home or work to a secondary place of work (e.g. Juicing factory, orange orchard or customer offices).

Wow working there must be amazing....

Hey boss can I get a pay rise?
    https://imgur.com/gallery/yL0vU
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Elwood said:

Both of your places of work are permanent. Thus you can commute to them independently. Having two jobs doesn't mean you are using your car for business.

Have a look at this: 

https://www.confused.com/motor-insurance/get-covered/car-insurance-classes-of-use

It's a fairly clear explanation. 

Insurers love to charge extra money, especially when it's for something that doesn't increase their exposure!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited May 2017
    This is the first time I've been motivated into making an online donation based on a thread on here.  I know that it's only £10 but I hope that it helps the Dorje crew get back on their feet. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Except...that's not what actually happened.
    What did actually happen?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:

Except...that's not what actually happened.
    What did actually happen?
    As I said...

Fretwired said:. That's not too far removed from us when we set this place up; we went into it knowing it was going to cost us money, and set up the PayPal account after many of you guys practically hounded us to do so.
    Yes, but the FB is not a money making commodity, asking for handouts.
    Equally, while Dorje is a money-making entity, they're not asking for handouts per se. The sequence of events was:

1 - Rob/Bea/Dave posted on Facebook
    2 - People asked how they can donate (repeatedly and often)
    3 - Dan set up the GFM account

Aside from the profit-making issue (and, let's face it, Dorje isn't going to make any of them rich - even Bea admitted that it was a for-fun thing in one of his recent videos, although it probably has more of a profit than most original bands), the sequence of events is the same.

<space for hire>