CITES Violation Penalties?

What's Hot
kswilson89kswilson89 Frets: 222
I've been looking for a while now for the penalties for violating CITES regulations and can't find them anywhere. I ordered a custom Martin earlier this year before I knew about the change in regulations and I'm a bit apprehensive about the whole situation as the guitar has a big fat slab of Guatemalan rosewood for the back and sides. Can anyone shed any light on what the penalties are for a violation?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited May 2017
    Losing your guitar permanently. If customs aren't happy, they'll take your guitar away until they get happy. It's not a question of "here's your guitar, just pay this £50 fine."

From the document linked below:

"Q: What can I do if Border Force seizes an object from me?
    Border Force will sometimes forgive an ‘honest mistake’, but not more than once. If Border Force decides to confiscate an item, you have options:
    1. Accept Border Force’s decision and loss of item.
    2. Make an application to contest the decision, which will be heard in a magistrate’s court. Both sides can plead their case and a decision will be made based on whether the item was liable to seizure because it is subject to CITES restrictions and if Border Force has followed the correct processes.
    3. If the confiscation was legitimate but the trader would still like their goods returned, an application for ‘restoration of ownership’ of the goods can be made. Download a form from the gov.uk website* and when filled in, send it back to Border Force.
    A decision will be made on returning the object, with possibly a penalty payment to pay."

https://www.antiquestradegazette.com/media/9870/cites-delegate-report-march-2017.pdf

Also, see:

https://www.gov.uk/customs-seizures

Good luck!

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    They will send you a video clip of them burning the guitar for no extra charge.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• LewyLewy Frets: 4205
    Is it the case that you've got the guitar and are worried about travelling with it, or you're worried about it getting seized on its way from Martin to you? If the latter, don't Martin just have to provide documentation to the effect that it's kosher rosewood?
    Lewy said:
     don't Martin just have to provide documentation to the effect that it's kosher rosewood?
    I believe the only kosher wood is Juniper - as used in circumcisions :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom