Bluesbreaker 'Beano'Album - How influential is it and what can you learn from it ?

What's Hot

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I also love 'From the Cradle' but it's a bit challenging for a beginner, no?
    For my money, he was absolutely at the top of his game on that album. Things like 'Someday After a While' and 'I'm Tore Down' are superb.
    A I completely agree, it's amazing. Tore down is my favourite. But it's a lot more tricky than the earlier stuff 'Someday after a while' for instance. 'Tore Down' less so.  fftc said:

Personally I think that all the way from John Mayall, through Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos (especially the live album) he is great.

Just bought Disraeli Gears recently to see what the fuss was about.

Thought it was shit.

fair enough! some classics on there for me. Some has aged less well, but we can't all like the same stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    I'd go with an early Fleetwood Mac Anthology. Green's touch and finesse is so fine, never gets boring to try and emulate.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559

fair enough! some classics on there for me. Some has aged less well, but we can't all like the same stuff.
    I'd be interested to hear what tracks you mean so I could listen again with a focus. I think it was the last track that was the nail in the coffin for me!
    I love Strange Brew and Sunshine of Your Love. Strange Brew first for the nicked off Albert King solo. I know it's over played but Sunshine of your love is brilliant! I love the sound. (Spanky Wilson's version is also amazing if you like funk) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPL1NwQAY0

I love the wah on 'Tales of Brave Ulysses' and in general his tone and the sound of the record is great.

I know that he ripped off Freddy King a lot, but he's got so much more than that. He also ripped off Albert King, BB and Buddy Guy lol.

I think the genius is how he combined all those elements together and created a really lyrical style. I say that as a bigger fan of the originals than Clapton. The fact that he created so many of those original rock tones can't be overlooked.

I know the cheesy 80s stuff puts a lot of people off, me included (and lets not delve into that infamous drunken rant :( ) but that time developing his voice really came out on 'From The Cradle'. The footage from that tour when he's letting rip with a 335 or Les Paul are awesome.

I'm a fan, what can I say LOL
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Hubert Sumlin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    Hubert Sumlin.
    yeah, true :)
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3319
    fftc said:

Personally I think that all the way from John Mayall, through Cream, Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos (especially the live album) he is great.

Just bought Disraeli Gears recently to see what the fuss was about.

Thought it was shit.
    Absolute shit
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Sassafras said:
    Hubert Sumlin.
    Have yourself a wisdom @Sassafras . I discovered Hubert Sumlin only two/three years ago, and he's become one of my all time favourite guitarists. Sublime. His playing is absolutely sublime.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Never heard it. Might've heard the odd track, but I honestly couldn't say. Some things just pass one by, I suppose.. I should probably check it out..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    For my money, he was absolutely at the top of his game on that album. Things like 'Someday After a While' and 'I'm Tore Down' are superb.
    Theres a bootleg of a rehearsal for the tour called " the last rehearsal" and its on the money, superior to "from the cradle" ( which is great ... not knocking it) . Claptons best playing since bluesbreakers imo. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    ESBlonde said:

For me 'Can't buy a thrill' by Steely Dan with that reelin in the years solo by Skunk Baxter.

Wasn't that one Elliott Randall?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I've never been a big beano fan

I've picked a few things depending on your mood

Peter green is the best for me, from bluesbreakers to Fleetwood mac plus the usual older guys, Freddie king is my favorite from that sort of stuff

If you're into rock n blues I'd say learn the zep stuff and early aerosmith great rhythm work too

Early zz top is all great imo and I'd highly recommend trying to play brown sugar the way Billy does, doesn't get much better than that for me

There's too many great players and bands, shame it's not like that now

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    Granted we all have different abilities and many are far more competent than others - The point or tip I was trying to portray to such a customer was that instead of just noodling around with a few pentatonic licks and a few chords, learn some songs - If you are not in a band then jam along with, learn, copy and digest some info from this album - It might not be the best or your favouite but if you work on it for a couple of months, or so, you'll have progressed and have something to build on and learnt some specific songs - Play the chords, riffs and lead to each or many of the songs - Once more competent then move on to something else - I'm not a teacher and I'm sure I'd be a poor one if I went down that route, but it was just a case of some simple advise as if you can't play along with this, then forget playing along with something more complex
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Highly influential in that it encouraged a generation of youngsters to pick up a guitar.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • MonstronautMonstronaut Frets: 193
    HAL9000 said:
    Highly influential in that it encouraged a generation of youngsters to pick up a guitar.
    This. It sounds dated now and hasn't held up against the US blues artists that Clapton was copying. It all sounds very British and quaint to my ears. I'm a gibson/marshall guy and I've always thought the guitar tone was shit but I understand that this was a generation's first exposure to the blues so had a profound influence. It's unlikely to continue to inspire when so many have refined the genre since.
    stuagu said:
    Theres a bootleg of a rehearsal for the tour called " the last rehearsal" and its on the money, superior to "from the cradle" ( which is great ... not knocking it) . Claptons best playing since bluesbreakers imo. 
    Thanks! I'll try and grab that one for sure
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    My first influential album as a guitar player was "Couldn't Stand The Weather" by Stevie Ray Vaughan, I would argue that it's a better place to start because it combines BOTH major strands of the blues-rock tradition - the Freddie King via Clapton, and the Hendrix (with some Albert King and some Curtis Mayfield thrown in)
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    If you're starting out with the blues, Dylan is the best in my opinion. Easy to play, major / minor, stuff like Outlaw Blues etc.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7002
    impmann said:  Clapton's vibrato/playing is nice, but its not a great example of 'control'. By that I mean most of it was bridge pickup, similar tone, similar attack (flat out) and lots of wigging out - as a piece to learn from, I'd say its not great as its teaching all the cliches in one go.
    Ah, but the reason they're cliches is because just about every blues-rock guitarist since will have (directly or indirectly) been drawing from them.

Putting it into the context of #guitars4you original post, it's a superb place for an 'improving' guitarist to spend some time learning and building up your arsenal of licks and phrases.  Granted, there are later albums with more light and shade, but as a piece with all the essentials you'll need as a rock guitarist it's without peer.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    The thing is with looking back to find a basis for your playing is that there always seems to be someone interesting to study and worth studying from before the musician you originally started from.  Clapton himself did this, looking back at the likes of Robert Johnson & Son House.  So before learning Clapton stuff, is it worth looking at these older guys?  I wonder how far back the lineage goes before you run out of documented evidence?