Fret buzz?

What's Hot
Sorry if this is a stupid post - I know nothing about guitars. 

The 10th fret on the low E string of my LP special is buzzing. The 'buzz' gets progressively less noticeable as I move away from the 10th fret in either direction and has completely gone within 3/4 frets.

I can't see anything obvious but I am fairly sure I am not imagining it......
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• This is bad isn't it..... I realise I am totally ignorant. (the shame)
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Off to a tech with you!
  • rico said:
    Off to a tech with you!
    really? any idea what it'll be?
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited May 2017
    Have you tried raising the action slightly on the treble side? I mean like a quarter turn.  

Could need a tweak of a truss rod given where the buzz is but as it seems to be just one string it might be worth adjusting the action slightly first.
  • Arktik83 said:
    Have you tried raising the action slightly on the treble side? I mean like a quarter turn.  

Could need a tweak of a truss rod given where the buzz is but as it seems to be just one string it might be worth adjusting the action slightly first.
    I'll bow to your superior knowledge as I am new to this stuff - but if it were the action wouldn't all the frets the 10th upward have the same issue? 

its annoying as this is actually the first guitar I've owned that I've had 'set up'. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    If it's localised to one particular fret, it may be that the next fret along it too high and either needs reseating (i.e. hammering back in place if it's loose) or stoning lower. Neither job is something I'd recommend tackling without experience - probably one for a professional.
  • If it's localised to one particular fret, it may be that the next fret along it too high and either needs reseating (i.e. hammering back in place if it's loose) or stoning lower. Neither job is something I'd recommend tackling without experience - probably one for a professional.
    Thanks - I certainly don't experience so looks like I'll be taking it in. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14237
    tFB Trader
    also look at the string itself - might have a kink in it - to small to see or feel but enough to cause such a problem

otherwise comments as per above
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • also look at the string itself - might have a kink in it - to small to see or feel but enough to cause such a problem

otherwise comments as per above
    Thanks - good idea - definitely worth at least replacing the string to see if that has any effect. I have a million spare low E strings!!! 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    I hate fret buzz, fkn plague on society it is
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Something to check with fret buzz around that area is too much neck relief. I had this on a Strat once. Too much relief causes a 'dip' around the middle of the neck and I found frets 9-11 had a little buzz that went away as you got past 12th fret and higher, it was the lowest point of the relieved neck bow so strings fretted there has less clearance over the higher frets than when fretting from higher up. 

I straightened the neck a bit and raised the action a hair to compensate and it fixed it.

Failing that, change you strings first, I have found buzzes that develop with a set of strings that go away by simply changing the strings. Alternatively you may have a high fret just ahead of where the buzz is and pushing the action up a little until you get that checked out and levelled should get rid of it.