Bridge saddle-fit question

What's Hot
Greetings community, happy bank holiday weekend.

I've got a Japanese-made limited run OM-type Vox 'V2000' acoustic with a standard 72mm x 3mm saddle slot, but I've noticed that  the stock bone saddle is not a snug fit due to it not being wide enough (measures about 2.5mm), and as a result it has a slight but noticeable lean towards the direction of the sound hole due to the tension of the strings. Have a slight hunch that this is also the cause of a lack of lower-end response.

As an acoustic 'novice' of sort, is it a general rule of thumb that the saddle needs to fit snug and flat in the bridge slot? Do find it odd that the factory would ship it out with the wrong size saddle. 

Many thanks in advance,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4195
    edited May 2017
    Saddles should be a snug fit - you shouldn't have to force them in or out but neither should they fall out easily when you turn the guitar over.

A forward lean is generally bad news, not least of all because over time it can cause your bridge to crack.

Sounds like you need a new saddle!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Greetings community, happy bank holiday weekend.

I've got a Japanese-made limited run OM-type Vox 'V2000' acoustic with a standard 72mm x 3mm saddle slot, but I've noticed that  the stock bone saddle is not a snug fit due to it not being wide enough (measures about 2.5mm), and as a result it has a slight but noticeable lean towards the direction of the sound hole due to the tension of the strings. Have a slight hunch that this is also the cause of a lack of lower-end response.

As an acoustic 'novice' of sort, is it a general rule of thumb that the saddle needs to fit snug and flat in the bridge slot? Do find it odd that the factory would ship it out with the wrong size saddle. 

Many thanks in advance,
    what ?

yeah as lewy said - snug (push) fit + dead flat bottom = max contact and 90 degs to the guitar top.
    I'm concerned u think .5 to 1mm forward tilt on the saddle would cause a lack of lower frequencies !!!?.
    Response is a different thing.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    As already said the saddle should not be a tight fit in the sense of needing to be forced into the slot, but it should be snug enough that there is no detectable movement, and it doesn't easily fall out. You should still be able to pull it out with your fingers - if it needs pliers or other tools it's too tight really.

A forward lean can sometimes crack the bridge, or more often the saddle, because the force is concentrated on too small an area of both - and will usually put the intonation a bit out too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom