High end acoustics used as workhorses...

LewyLewy Frets: 4238
edited May 2017 in Acoustics
@Castro 's Bourgeois OM ad in the classifieds has got me thinking how much I love seeing high end and boutique guitars that have obviously been ridden hard and occasionally put away wet. Current favourite is Robert Ear Keen's 1996 Collings OM2H:

https://www.facebook.com/CollingsGuitars/photos/a.10152384941730289.1073741918.138990815288/10152384941885289/?type=3&theater

Anyone got any others?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    I do find 'owners' amusing keeping their investments pristine  - to maximize resale value when the next must have possession come along - check out AGF 'Custom Shop' sub forum to get an insight into this world.
    Guitars that will never fulfill they're potential -  so sad :/

In saying that, I tend to treat my guitars like a violin player would - they're fine musical instruments and I don't do the r&r thrash stylee as part of my performance.
    almost 30 yrs ware on a cedar topped guitar treated with respect + the usual dings -

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4190
    You had better not check out Jon Gomm's Lowden,it's a little relic'd to say the least 
    , poor old Wilma 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    Richard Thompson's main Lowden is looking pretty battle-scarred these days.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Ex Richie Havens guitars look like they've led hard lives.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72513
    I don't mind seeing a well-used and cared-for old guitar with plenty of wear, but some of the high-end acoustics (especially Lowdens, which mark easily) I've seen that have been thrashed to death by folkies are quite baffling… why buy a nice guitar and do that? If you're abusing it that heavily it won't even sound that good after a while, especially as a lot of these guys are belting it out in unplugged jam sessions where volume is most of what counts anyway.

Jon Gomm's one is a special case because the damage was caused by his unique playing approach rather than simply smashing into it with a heavy pick… or leaving it lying around in a bar so they get body cracks and headstock breaks.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• woodywoody Frets: 74
    Don't huss&dalton have a range of road worn acoustics? Don't see it catching on mind you.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    This guy plays a guitar which would have cost $40,000 (maybe even more due to the high level of customisation) and it looks a bit worse for wear