2 Amps, 1 Cab...?

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224
Maybe a very silly question but can this be done?

i.e - My Blackstar Series One head and my Marshall DSL50 sharing my Zilla Fatboy 2x12 cab?  I was wondering if there was some kind of ABY type of switch to do so.

My 2x12 only has one speaker jack, so I'm hoping there's a a pedal that'll feed both amps into the speaker and allow me to select which amp I'm using by stomping.

Or is this wishful thinking?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I think the Radial Headbone Switcher does it. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    TBH it's bloody expensive. 

I personally would Rewire the cab to stereo, add a jack socket and run each head as a 1x12 
    giving the option of two amps at once from a simple A/B/Y Switcher. 

Bright onion could knock you one up for buttons comparatively speaking.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224

I personally would Rewire the cab to stereo, add a jack socket and run each head as a 1x12 

Thanks for the feedback!  I know nothing about wiring but I have a friend who could do this for me.

So if I got this done, when only 1 amp is selected will the sound still come from both speakers, or would it only come from one?

delorean said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I know nothing about wiring but I have a friend who could do this for me.

So if I got this done, when only 1 amp is selected will the sound still come from both speakers, or would it only come from one?

Only one. 
    Afaik you can't connect two output transformers to one load as you would end up back feeding into the the unused transformer. 

Bad juju. 

The headbone works by effectively having a loop in which your amps input and output sit, shutting off both at the same time, I think. 

@ICBM ;
    @ecc83 ;
    over to you gents. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    You can't use a simple A/B switcher as the non-selected head will still need a resistive load across the output to avoid damage. This is why a suitable switcher will cost somewhat more than a standard signal-level switcher.

I think Ampete do something for two heads and two cabs in any combination but, again, probably quite pricey.

The alternative would be to use a normal switcher but you MUST make sure both amps are in standby when you switch and the non-active amp MUST remain in standby when not connected to the cab. Remember though, accidental mistakes do happen.
    You can't use a simple A/B switcher as the non-selected head will still need a resistive load across the output to avoid damage. This is why a suitable switcher will cost somewhat more than a standard signal-level switcher.

I think Ampete do something for two heads and two cabs in any combination but, again, probably quite pricey.

The alternative would be to use a normal switcher but you MUST make sure both amps are in standby when you switch and the non-active amp MUST remain in standby when not connected to the cab. Remember though, accidental mistakes do happen.
    Hmmm this is way more complex than I had pictured in my head!  I wanted to use the Marshall for rhythm and flick to the Blackstar for leads, so switching to standby before changing wouldn't be practical sadly.

Oh well, back to the drawing board!  Thanks for your input guys
    Get a stereo 4x12?

Would love to my my car is approaching terminal capacity at the moment with my gear - and that's using a 2x12 :(
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I used to use 2 orange  1x12s
    neo cream backs in them
    small and light
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    @delorean I have a Headbone that I'm not using and would sell for £175. It's boxed and in excellent condition.

PM me if interested.

R.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

"So if I got this done, when only 1 amp is selected will the sound still come from both speakers, or would it only come from one?"

Electrically the sound will only come from one speaker. However, in 2x12 the undriven cone will act as a 'passive radiator' and will add something to the proceedings in terms of tone if not level but since the level drop is only 3dB (assuming two amps together deliver the same power each) I doubt it would be noticed in a band situation unless you are using radically different voicings from the two amps.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Having only one speaker driven can sometimes sound odd - the undriven speaker acting as a passive radiator is usually out of phase with the driven one, so you can get a slightly 'notchy' or 'hollow' sound… although sometimes you don't really notice, it depends on the exact cab and speakers. You also need to be careful with power ratings - each speaker needs to be capable of handling the power of each amp, rather than the cabinet as a whole. If it works OK it's definitely the simplest solution for a compact set-up though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    delorean said:

i.e - My Blackstar Series One head and my Marshall DSL50 sharing my Zilla Fatboy 2x12 cab?  I was wondering if there was some kind of ABY type of switch to do so.

My 2x12 only has one speaker jack, so I'm hoping there's a a pedal that'll feed both amps into the speaker and allow me to select which amp I'm using by stomping.

Seems like an excuse to buy another cab. 

@delorean I have a Headbone that I'm not using and would sell for £175. It's boxed and in excellent condition.

PM me if interested.

R.

Thanks Robin, I think I'll have to hold fire for the moment, I wasn't expecting this daft idea of mine to have much of a price tag!!  Will definitely let you know if anything changes though
    delorean said:

Seems like an excuse to buy another cab. 
    and a bigger car! :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    delorean said:

PM me if interested.

R.

Thanks Robin, I think I'll have to hold fire for the moment, I wasn't expecting this daft idea of mine to have much of a price tag!!  Will definitely let you know if anything changes though

No worries. It's here if you want it, and does exactly what you want. :)

R.