Where does the money come from?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4980
A year or two ago, there was a program about Queens Park Rangers and their attempt to win promotion to the Premier League.  QPR achieved this ambition but were relegated a year or two later.  It was stated in the program that getting into the PL meant a guaranteed 90 million pounds (I assume per year).  And I take it that each club in the PL gets that amount of money.  So for 20 clubs that is 1.8 billion pounds.  Give or take a few quid.

Where on earth does this money come from?  Sky contribute a few hundred mils., gate receipts would have very little difference from those received at Championship level.  Anyone any suggestions?

I heard the one on how to amass a small fortune, first start with a large fortune and buy a football club.....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Half that money will be from broadcasting ill bet.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Broadcasting rights in each country
    Team sponsors - kit / stadium etc
    Intellectual property like the logos, the players faces for video games etc
    Massive profit level replica kit sales

And of course if a team gets up to the Prem, then the first thing that happens is that the other teams steal the good players with salary levels and transfer fees the noobs couldn't even imagine before. Then the new team is shit again and go plummeting back down.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    Rocker said:
    Where on earth does this money come from? 
    All the mugs who buy season tickets, Sky subscriptions, replica kits, etc, etc.

Football used to be a sport.  Yes, money was involved, but I used to think (perhaps naively) that the reward for winning the FA Cup, or the League or (etc) was more about having a trophy to display for a year, rather than a financial calculation of how much extra revenue (typically, not a lot) it would be worth.

Today it is purely about money, certainly in the Premier League and Championship.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    True TTony and most sports are heading that way to some extent these days. Spoils it all for me I am afraid.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    TTony said:
    Rocker said:
    mugs
    /thread
    My V key is broken
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    wow, imagine how much money they could make if the sold plates as well.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't find it now but IIRC Alf Garnett said The Social pays for football: The fans are mainly the Unemployed and they spend their dole on footie tickets. I think that must have been in the days when you could get into the stand for a shilling or two.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    The vast majority of the dough comes for the run of the mill sides from the b/casting rights.

(BTW although I loathe BT I hope they pinch the rights of Sky next time round).

The bigger teams have a)rich owners and b) a massive profile guaranteeing decent merch revenue.

All clubs see hospitality, season tix etc as important but in comparison to the TV cash it's a lower percentage.

In a sense the important question is not where's the dough coming from but where the fuck does it all go and the answer dear friends is to the ponces on the pitch and the agents who ponce off them.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    IIRC Alf Garnett said

quite a few things that he'd not stand a chance of saying today ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    IIRC Alf Garnett said

quite a few things that he'd not stand a chance of saying today ...

except he was taking the piss out of people who DID think like that
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 104
    holnrew said:
    TTony said:
    Rocker said:
    mugs
    /thread
    Really? They are mugs? A season ticket for my team is less than £500 a year. I wonder how many of us guitarists are spending more than that on gear every year?? I know I certainly do! I don't really see the problem with spending your own money on something you enjoy. Doesn't make you a mug in my book.....  
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Fair does Gaz you've got a point. Years ago I'd have agreed 100% but now I've got 3 kids a family outing to a match is an expensive day out.

Given the choice of gear or a season ticket I'd have the gear. It's the difference between years of pleasure and a season of fucking misery in my club's case.