Old bloke needs a 50 wat valve combo amp

What's Hot

Comments

• The dude from aerosmith uses a jet city 20 watt HV (which is more vintage voiced) I think. Or maybe that was rumour? 

The id core 40 is an excellent practice amp, but it isn't especially loud - a 20 watt valve amp has much more in the way of dynamics, especially through an efficient speaker. I reckon a jca 20HV with a Creamback or creamback neo loaded 1x12 or 2x12 would be excellent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Also helps if you're using a treble booster.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Traynor Guitar Mate (YGM-3)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    The dude from aerosmith uses a jet city 20 watt HV (which is more vintage voiced) I think. Or maybe that was rumour? 

I think the story was something like they gave Joe Perry an amp to try and he made suggestions as to what would work for him better and the HV is based on that. Looks like he did have (or has) Jet City amps as part of his rig although he's used a wide range of stuff (including Sovtek amps at one point IIRC).

https://imgur.com/a/pysix

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    The dude from aerosmith uses a jet city 20 watt HV (which is more vintage voiced) I think. Or maybe that was rumour? 

I think the story was something like they gave Joe Perry an amp to try and he made suggestions as to what would work for him better and the HV is based on that. Looks like he did have (or has) Jet City amps as part of his rig although he's used a wide range of stuff (including Sovtek amps at one point IIRC).

https://imgur.com/a/pysix

I`m sure I read he uses it for the talk box specifically (maybe I made that up!). 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    ICBM said:
    simonk said:
    Valve watts and solid state watts are generally two different things.
    No - the *watts* are exactly the same. But… (apologies for the long technical post, but bear with me ;).)

Yes, of course a watt is a watt. I was just trying to succinctly point out that there's generally a volume disparity between equally rated valve and solid state amps...

You made a much better job of it though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Sorry, that was just my inner pedant coming out again :).

Just don't get me started on so-called RMS and Music Programme power ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    I have got a peavey classic 50 2x12 50watt combo you could have if you are interested. It's been heavily modified and had all of the capacitors upgraded, a mid range voice switch added to alter the sound and a negative feedback defeat switch added which basically makes it a little louder, more punchy and slightly less overdriven.

speakers have also been upgraded to eminence legend speakers and it includes the footswitch to change from the clean to dirty channels and turn the reverb on and off. Has an FX loop too.

plenty loud, very punchy. Great for blues/classic rock and also works as a great pedal platform if you run it clean.

£300 ono
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    @@ivor-honda ;...what kind of Honda??

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    I know it sounds counter intuitive but Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.
    Loud, not heavy, GREAT tone and affordable. 

I recently leant mine to a mate who had been gigging a Marshall for years - crank it and go. Sadly it needed a transformer rewind due to an errant pint of beer mid gig... don't put pints on amps, kids even if it's just for a moment.

He used mine on the gain channel with the gain low but the volume up to get him closer to those classic blues rock sounds (Cream, Fleetwood Mac, Cream, Free etc) and it sounded wonderful. So much so, he's bought one as a back up and he says he's used it more than the Marshall since getting it. Although he says the Marshall (2x12, 50 watt combo - non MV but not quite a bluesbreaker) is louder.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5853
    It's always fashionable to go a little over budget.

*Cough*

If you're ever up near Sheffield ;)

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91407/fs-mesa-express-5-50-1-x-12-mark-i-600#latest

It even has a channel called "Blues" and is a wonderful amp.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:

I have a 1998 red VFR 800 which i have had from new.
    I also have a Honda petrol lawn mower as well but it only takes me 4 minutes to cut the grass because our garden is so small but i have kept it because its a Honda!
    I know i'm just an old sentimentalist, but thanks for asking.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    57Deluxe said:

I also have a Honda petrol lawn mower as well but it only takes me 4 minutes to cut the grass because our garden is so small but i have kept it because its a Honda!

I dream of being rock n roll enough to have a ride on lawnmower
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Thanks yet again for all your suggestions and explanations, it was also interesting comment about the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe as well, it’s good to have a backup plan if my original selection doesn’t work out.

Thanks again.

Colin (or ivor-honda)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    tony99 said:

When I was a kid my uncle had a ride-on lawnmower… I've always wanted to drive one, but never have!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    ICBM said:
    tony99 said:

When I was a kid my uncle had a ride-on lawnmower… I've always wanted to drive one, but never have!
    Perhaps you should buy one. It sounds like a good solution to GAS!
  • It’s funny because i think the height of luxury is a sit on lawnmower.

I remember when I was a lad and seeing the park keeper going round on sit on lawnmower and thinking that’s the best job it the world.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    57Deluxe said:

Oh - not a Honda Jazz then...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The search starts now ….. (well maybe tomorrow, at least) ………. onwards and upwards……………