Solid State Amp for a 7 Year Old?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7864
    Another vote for the Vox DA5. Great little amp, can be had cheap used.  
    I Love the High Gain settings, with all the gain rolled back. It gives a lovely 'edge of breakup -dig in for dirt' tone, a late night 'sleeping child' volumes.  
    Mine runs on rechargeable batteries. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Roland Mini Cube. Fairly easy controls, plenty loud, runs on batteries or mains, can run a music source through it. I'd have been delighted with something like that when I started learning. I've seen them fairly cheaply second hand too, £30-40. If not the Cube, then a Blackstar Fly3 is a nifty little amp and fantastic value. Again, I'd have loved an amp as good as that when I was first playing. Either of those amps will be used for years to come as he progresses on guitar
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Does it have to be solid state? There's a Blackstar HT1R in the classifieds, they are great practice amps with a surprisingly good sound.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Vox DA-5 - brilliant.  Mine's been gigged, taken to kids' sleepovers, two years at university, and used for recording.  Best £79 I ever spent.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    What about a little Fender Frontman?

Got all the controls he could want and no digital type stuff.

Good basic little amp that can be found for peanuts.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited June 2017
    A Roland Micro Cube GX, which can run on batteries or power supply or a Roland 10GX ... easy to use, great tones and a headphone socket.

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/cube-10gx/

https://www.roland.com/uk/products/micro_cube_gx/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    HT1R as Zepp said earlier.. perfect practice amp. Simple and with great valve sound. I've still got one which i use as a regular practice amp.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Kids are spoilt rotten these days. When I were a little lad I was restricted to using the aux input on an old tape recorder, I would've killed for any one of the above suggestions.
    Kids, they don't know they're born, the little bastards!
     :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Sassafras said:
    Kids are spoilt rotten these days. When I were a little lad I was restricted to using the aux input on an old tape recorder, I would've killed for any one of the above suggestions.
    You were spoilt. Some of us had to unplug the wires from the ceramic cartridge in the record player bit of an old radiogram, snip the plug off one end of a guitar lead and bodge the ends together.

While there's probably a bit of rose tinted memory in play I do remember it as sounding surprisingly good mind, certainly better than the cheap'n'nasty catalog practice amps some of my contemporaries were so proud of...:-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    JayGee said:
    Sassafras said:
    You were spoilt. Some of us had to unplug the wires from the ceramic cartridge in the record player bit of an old radiogram, snip the plug off one end of a guitar lead and bodge the ends together.

While there's probably a bit of rose tinted memory in play I do remember it as sounding surprisingly good mind, certainly better than the cheap'n'nasty catalog practice amps some of my contemporaries were so proud of...:-)
    You were lucky !...........

We used to have to get up half an hour before we went to bed and lick t'road clean before our dad would let us even *Think* about a guitar, THEN..........as we played a shoe box with elastic bands stretched across it, our dad would beat us to DEATH !

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    Lots and lots of options it seems, thanks very much everyone. I've noted them all down, just need to find a chance to look around on eBay / Gumtree etc. and see what's out there. It was my Dad's idea really, he wants to get him one as a wee encouragement for him to stick in and learn. Will pass on all this to my old man and we'll have a look at what's available.

Thanks for all the help. :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Eeeeh, when I were a lad..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited June 2017
    One of my students has one of these and it is a beautifully tuneful and clear little amp. Sounds really nice when we play it in his kitchen with natural reverb  with both my PRS and his electro acoustic- every turn of the dials gives a nice tone... Highly Portable too...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61SuU95mSML._SY450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Laney+LX10+LX+Guitar+Combo+10w

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    You were lucky !...........

We used to have to get up half an hour before we went to bed and lick t'road clean before our dad would let us even *Think* about a guitar, THEN..........as we played a shoe box with elastic bands stretched across it, our dad would beat us to DEATH !

Death?
    You were lucky. Death would've come as a merciful release to us.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    fender mustang 1 - perfectly nice little amp, and cheap as chips
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    ive got a fender frontman 15R  (reverb model) for sale £35 plus postage if any use?
    https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/fender-frontman-15r-guitar-amp-with-reverb-excellent-condition/1246598583