Ampfest

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
Last night myself and a couple of friends finally did what we'd threatened to do for too long and got all our amps together in one place at the same time, plugged in and rejoiced.

The amps are (from left to right):
Vox AC15C1
Orange AD30 with Zilla Fatboy cab
1971 Fender Silverface Pro Reverb
1968 Laney Supergroup 60
1974 Marshall Superbass with 1968 4x12
Matchless DC30 clone with Marshall JCM800 4x12 (G1265's)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FezFez Frets: 522
    One guitar into all of them at once?
    Don't touch that dial.
  • danodano Frets: 1593
    edited August 2013
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 104
    That would have been something to experience, unfortunately we didn't have the means.

I imagine it would have been like being strapped to the bottom of jumbo jet during take off.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2357
    nice :D
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Sounds like a great evening - who made the Matchless clone?
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    citizen68 said:
    who made the Matchless clone?
    and how close/good is it?
    The clone was made by a friend of mine, Simon Kets from Origin Effects http://www.origineffects.com.

I've no idea how sounds in comparison to a Matchless as i've never heard one in the flesh, but what I hear from the clone I like a lot.
    Cool, do you have any clips?

I heard a Matchless Chieftain years ago and it was frankly beautiful sounding.
    I'll try and get a couple of clips at my next band practice. Never heard a Chieften, going to look them up now.
    Just been looking at their line up of amps, I really like what they do. Never really paid them much attention before as i've always been a little sceptical about the whole boutique thing. But I get it, especially these Matchless amps. I really like the look of the Independence. But the price of them!!! God damit, that's as much as I paid for my car!
  • I played through a Matchless DC30 a few years ago. Without question the best amp I have ever tried. Outstanding touch-sensitivity, made me sound better than any other amp I've used or owned....
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Have always heard that Matchless amps are something else sound wise - the way they are wired looks pretty scary but must have something to do with the tone? Seriously thinking of a DC30 clone at some stage - the real deal is way out of my price bracket.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Matchless are in another league sound wise. An almost 3D quality to the sound and built like tanks! The hand wiring is something to behold too.

I've had a couple (DC30 & HC30 Stack).

If you are looking for a 'slightly' cheaper alternative, try a Bad Cat. They were set up by the same guy who designed the classic Matchless' (Mark Sampson) after Matchless went bust in the late 90's and his aim was to improve(!) on the original design. Allegedly slightly quieter signal to noise ratio and higher spec transformers. I sold my last Matchless to move to the Bad Cat Black Cat (DC30) design and I think it has the slight edge on the Matchless.

Due to Bad Cat not being as we'll known as Matchless, they can be had for reasonable money. And if you find an early Bad Cat, chances are it'll be full of Matchess branded caps & resistors anyway, like mine is! :)

Either way they are the ultimate class A amp IMHO :)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited August 2013
    Never tried a matchless, but had a go on a bad cat lil 15 in mansons a couple of years ago whilst on holiday and it was stunning. Especially with the 56 reissue gold top I used.
    It was only the lack of reverb that stopped me reaching for the credit card.
    It was tiny too.

I still dream about it now. :-\"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Miserneil, hello mate. It's Matt from The 13 Club, Paul Connops mate. I believe he showed you pics of this very clone a while back and I was enquiring about you building a head shell for it. We i've finally got it and love it to bits. Have you ever tried a Chieften?
  • Maybe the East Anglian GearFest will look as impressive. I hope so!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    @Duppy03 Hey Matt! Good to hear from you! Ah, the insides of this beast looked very impressive, I bet it sounds awesome?!

I one tried a Chieftan when I was buying a HC30 Stack, it was BEAUTIFUL! The main thing I remember is how gorgeously rich the clean sound was with the reverb simmering, it really filled the room! I was very tempted to sell another kidney and get one! ;)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @miserneil how many kidneys have you got ?! I'd never considered that as an option to finance the GAS ... but mine aren't in particularly good nick so I doubt if I'd get much for them :(
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I had a Matchless Independence 35w reverb head and cab. It was OK but I really didn't like the C30 reverb head I had- I didn't have that for long! I wouldn't have another matchless again. I did like a Bat Cat Hot Cat I tried in Mansons one Saturday ages ago though......