Tremolo Pedals

vertigo88vertigo88 Frets: 12
Hi,

Has anyone had experience of tube driven tremolo pedals?

I'm looking to add tremolo/vibrato to my Fender Supersonic like the vibrato channel on a vibrolux

I've come up with the EHX Wiggler http://www.ehx.com/products/wiggler

If anyone has any experience of these pedals or any recommendations on other pedals it would be nice to hear them...

Also can anyone tell me if a tube driven pedal is any advantage over solid state for these kind of sounds?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17605
    tFB Trader
    I don't think it's going to help. Amp trem works (or at least some does) by actually modulating the power amp valves. Nothing you can stick into the front of the amp is going to do that. 

The HT mod is just a digital mod pedal with a bit of mild valve drive added. 

You'd be better off with a Flint, Tremulator, Jackrabbit, etc. 
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    The Catalinbread Harmonic Mesmerizer is the best pedal I've heard at this. If I didn't have a Princeton Reverb, I'd have got one. It's still tempting.
  •   I wouldn't mind giving either of the pedals you mentioned a go, but sadly they just aren't available near me...

As for trem pedals I have tried, the Boss one is actually pretty good.  In addition to the regular speed and depth controls, you get a third that allows you to control the waveform.  You can dial in vintagey sounding ripple,  choppy and mean, or whatever else you like.  Plus it's cheap, easily replaceable, and built like a tank like all Boss pedals.  I'm a big fan of tremolo, and I'm quite happy with this.  ( still won't stop me gassing for another interesting sounding trem pedal, though!)
  • The wiggler is a great sounding pedal, though I've no idea how much to do with the valve that is.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I've had a Demeter tremulator on my board for about a year now (a long time in pedal-years), it's really excellent, sounds just right (unlike any if the other cheaper ones I've tried).
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    The Kingsley Bard is as good as tube trems get. Hear it on the Kingsley site. I've had other high-end trems and it simply sounds fuller and richer

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    EdGrip said:
    The Catalinbread Harmonic Mesmerizer is the best pedal I've heard at this. If I didn't have a Princeton Reverb, I'd have got one. It's still tempting.
    I recently bought one in the classifieds on here, it's a great pedal. If you are unsure about the different types of tremolo check out the demos of the Strymon Flint on their official site - they will help you focus your choice on a particular type of tremolo. If you have already decided that a tube style tremolo is what you're after, the Catalinbread will be a good choice. 

• There's a Suhr Jack Raddit in the classifieds (not mine). I've been really happy with mine since getting it, great choice of wave forms, and a volume control. Solid construction as well.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    The valve ones are a bit gimmicky - they don't really do much to the wave. The guyatone valve unit (Flip, I think it's called) sound great, but then so do the mini guyatones. I tried a Wiggler and it was noisy as shit. Never tried the Blackstar.
    If got a hankering for harmonic brownface tremolo, the Catalinbread is the answer.
    If you want blackface sine, Demeter Tremulator is great. As is the Mr Deluxe Plus.
  • Thanks for all the comments, think I'll need to get to a shop and try some out, cheers
  • Im a trem freak. Tried loads of different pedals. My favourite one for ages was the EH pulsar. Does everything you need it to but as much as I hate to pander to the booteeeeek side of things I purchased a strymon flint and it is unreal. So warm and amplike. Reverb as well if you can afford it it is definately money well spent. If not try the pulsar.
    How very rock and roll
  • It really depends on how much control you need over the trem. I used a tremulus lune and can coax all kinds of amp like tremolo sounds from it a few far out ones as well. On the other half of the spectrum I really liked the fredric effects west German tremolo as a nice sounding basic throb. Also for the cash the danelectro coolcat and tuna melt are pretty darn good.
    If money was no object I would go for the diamond one but sadly money is generally an issue.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Many people, me included, think the Monster Effects Swamp Thang is the king of trem pedals. 

It's a real boutique item; beautifully made, wonderful early 60's Fender brownface tone

Highly sought after, and yet to hear a poor opinion on it. TGP'ers rave over it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620
    Here's what the Bard does.

• I tried a load of trem pedals and the Redwitch Pentavocal won  for me, closest to amp tremelo to my ears and also a good variety of hard/.soft sounds.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    The best trem pedal in my experience is the Effectrode Delta-Trem. Uses a filament lamp, photocell and 2 tubes. Lovely, deep, warm sound.