Stereo 4x12 from Mono

professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
Ok, is I've got my Preamp, A natty Stereo Power amp, a lovely stereo Fx unit and a fook off big cab.

but I'm in Mono, which is fine, but I'd like to fully utilise a stereo set up, with double delays and verbs, without the hassle of an extra 4x12 ( cos one is ridiculous enough)

So how would I go about this? 4 Celestion G12-K100's 8ohm

im guessing wired to give two 2x12 @ 4 Ohms? My power amp is a Mesa 50/50 and it's got 4 or 8 ohm options but not 16.
drill an extra socket in the back and bobs your mothers brother?

side by side pattern or X?

i know I'm not going to get much spread, but it's more for splitting delays, running wet/dry or getting a mimic etc

Ta.

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

Does the cab have a recessed plate with a single jack in it? If so yes, you could fit another plate and jack and rewire to 2 x 4R.

Neater would be to replace the plate with a 2 hole jobby and 2 jacks. If the internal wiring uses 'push ons' for the speakers I would remove that as a piece (don't forget to 'spike' the little hole to release the connector!) so that the cab could easily go back to stock if required. Buy new wire (R&B) from a motor spare shop with some 5mm push conns, cheaper than Maplins. You can get connectors with an extra 'tag', makes paralleling neater.

Side by side seems to make the most sense to me.

NB, you should not wire the cab with a conventional '2 mono impedances+stereo plate' because one of the resultants is 2 Ohms and will blow most solid state amps! A valver tapped to 4 R would be ok but not'appy.

Dave.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/982aa3660

^ example only. You need the right size which is 5mm for Celestion speakers and 6mm (1/4") for most other makes.

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    What Dave said.

I would also go for left/right rather than x-pattern. Personally I would solder all the connections, but I'm like that ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    edited June 2017
    Moderators, please close this thread before @ICBM gets going on soldered speaker connections Vs spade connectors.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1261
    If this was me I'd make a spade connector harness with enough length in the wires to be able to run left/right, x-pattern, and (just for the hell of it) top/bottom. I'd try them all, swap them around a few times, see what what works for me with my rig, in my environment, with my material, and with my band, swap them around again a few times just to be sure and then once I was finally sure I was going to be happy with a single configuration think about making a super-neat, minimal loom and soldering.

I really think this sort of stuff is more about what works for you than what's "right' - you may end up doing what everybody else said you should have done ion the first place but at leat you'll know what the alternatives were...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...