Rock bigger than pop in album sales now.

What's Hot
'Rock music' takes the lead.

Mind you the latest number one albums are doing like 20,000 compared to the 200,000 they have done in the past.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26139327
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ah, yes, but the likes of Rod Stewart and Arctic monkeys are classed as "Rock".

So it really depends on the definition of "Rock", "Pop" Etc.

Personally, I'd class both the above as "pop" rather than "Rock"

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • you class the AM as pop? Wow. Loud guitars and louder drums. Yes, real pop.
  • Part of this is probably down to the fact that most rock fans prefer to buy an album over a single, whereas the same isn't always true of people who listen to pop music.  At least historically that was the case IIRC.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited February 2014
    you class the AM as pop? Wow. Loud guitars and louder drums. Yes, real pop.

I class GNR and Love/Hate as Rock.

Iron Maiden as "Heavy Rock"

Edit -  I did say "I class", so the whole thing is subjective.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited February 2014
    He might be considered a massive knob by many people but Bono's quote on rock v pop has an element of interest here. He said "Pop music often tells you everything is OK, while rock music tells you that it's not OK, but you can change it"
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    edited February 2014
    mike_l said:

I'd class most of the "R&B" and some of the "dance" as pop too, so then pop would easily overtake rock again. Although I do think Arctic Monkeys are rock, I don't think Rod Stewart has released anything that counts since the 1980s at the latest. Iron Maiden are metal.

It's all just a BBC reporter in search of something to do, anyway. Music that generally appeals to over 30s 40s selling more albums than music that generally appeals to young people who download individual tracks? Wow… who would have thought!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    edited February 2014
    ICBM said:
    mike_l said:

I'd class most of the "R&B" and some of the "dance" as pop too, so then pop would easily overtake rock again. Although I do think Arctic Monkeys are rock, I don't think Rod Stewart has released anything that counts since the 1980s at the latest. Iron Maiden are metal.

It's all just a BBC reporter in search of something to do, anyway. Music that generally appeals to over 30s 40s selling more albums than music that generally appeals to young people who download individual tracks? Wow… who would have thought!

Exactly. "Album sales have plummeted over the years. The only people left buying albums are 40-something rockers."
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    My daughter laughed at me when she noticed i was ripping my cd collection to the lap top. She said she done that years ago but now you just pick the songs you like and make your own albums. 
    No one buys albums anymore she said just songs.
  • Is that because so few people make an album of songs worth hearing i wonder?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Oh and Iron maiden are classic rock, or maybe dad rock.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Is that because so few people make an album of songs worth hearing i wonder?

Well now you can preview them, so there is no hiding.

Back in't day you heard the singles and bought the album based on the strength of the singles and any reviews, assuming you hadn't already heard the material live.

I think it is a good thing but however it isn't something that applies to other forms of media.  You don't watch a whole film, or parts of every major scene before buying it.  Well, unless you're watching several trailers for a bad comedy - then all the good jokes are usually in the trailers anyway :))
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    JAYJO said:
    My daughter laughed at me when she noticed i was ripping my cd collection to the lap top. She said she done that years ago but now you just pick the songs you like and make your own albums. 
    No one buys albums anymore she said just songs.
    This is probably true if you're 12.

If you're over the age of 24 and have a real interest in music - other than just doing the washing up to it - then albums are still what you look for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Oh and Iron maiden are classic rock, or maybe dad rock.
    Soft rock.
    My V key is broken
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I remember an interview with Angus Young years ago when he said there were two types of music - disco and rock & roll.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694

It's changed the way albums are constructed. Now every song on an album has to be designed to be an individually downloadable track. Before, the songs were more coherent. A "record" was a "record" of an event, that usually took place in a recording studio in Switzerland with real people in a real month. Now it's a random collection of useless 3 minute bits of candyfloss.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l said:

yes, the definitions are arbitrary. Pop is still very much in the 3 minutes single format (even if with downloads that's actually quite nonsensical) which is where the AMs and Rod Stewarts are at even if there are 10 or 12 of them making up an album.

In that sense its only really ROCK when you get into music that doesn't fit typical radio formats such as longer peices of music, largely instrumental music, very short peices of music,sweary words,etc.

Loud guitars and drums is perfectly pop in some circumstances just as samplers and nose flutes could be rock in others.

But, y'know, I think I was having this argument when I was 12.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    viz said:

It's changed the way albums are constructed. Now every song on an album has to be designed to be an individually downloadable track. Before, the songs were more coherent. A "record" was a "record" of an event, that usually took place in a recording studio in Switzerland with real people in a real month. Now it's a random collection of useless 3 minute bits of candyfloss.

Years ago, an album was a snapshot of where a band was at that point in time, musically.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    He might be considered a massive knob by many people but Bono's quote on rock v pop has an element of interest here. He said "Pop music often tells you everything is OK, while rock music tells you that it's not OK, but you can change it"

If he thinks that's true he's clearly never listened to a lot of pop songs! 

And yes, he's a massive knob.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72337

If he thinks that's true he's clearly never listened to a lot of pop songs!

Or a lot of rock songs...

Possibly even some of his own.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein