Incoming NAD Laney

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12318
Laney vc30 with an Eminence red fang. Its the 112 version. Never had one before and just took a last second punt on eBay and got it for a shade under £ 175 which I think is ok.

Any opinions on these?
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615

Great snag....for some reason these VCs slip under the 'popularity' radar but Laney make solid, reliable great sounding stuff. I have the VC15 & it sings for a small baby. Built in reverb too. I'm not familiar with the red fang but have an eminence speaker in a 1x12 Blackheart and it performs admirably. A VC30 will take the tiles off your roof so enjoy it LOL

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12318
    Cheers it ha a private jack speaker in it not a red fang though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Brilliant. My favourite "low end" gigging amps. You have to spend a big chunk more to get something genuinely better.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited June 2017
    Vastly under-rated amps.  I have two Laneys: a VC30-210  with the excellent Jensen C10Q16 speakers, and a Laney Cub 12R in which I've upgraded the speaker to a Celestion Vintage 30 and swapped the stock Chinese Ruby tubes for a full set of hand-tested JJ's.  Both are cracking amps - the VC30 has a proper Accutronics spring reverb, and the cleans on the VC30 are superb - both amps work beautifully with pedals.  I also have a matching Laney GS112VE 8 Ohm cab (Celestion Seventy Eighty) that I can use with both. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I've never had the chance to play a VC amp. I know Laney have their own sound, but if one was to generalise, what would its core/base tone (bass/mids/highs) be closer to, compared to say Marshall and Vox, regarding grunt/chime?
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I really enjoyed my time with my VC30. It does awesome cleans but I  never really got on with the crunch channel. I think it was the shared EQ. The FX loop was a bit odd too. 

If I wanted a loud clean pedal platform it's a great choice. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Nice NAD. Lot of amp for the money.

I own two Laney's, their warehouse is 20 minutes walk from my house and one of their old managers lives by me ( his car reg is AMP 1) so I am a bit biased. I used to rehearse in a place next to the old HH factory and they had a skip full of broken Laney and HH name plates I kept thinking about nicking.

The VCs were roughly their Vox equivalents I guess, the LCs their Marshall's. Trevor at Tipton Amps is the great fountain of knowledge on old Laney's although he never made the move across from Musicradar.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Babones said:
    I've never had the chance to play a VC amp. I know Laney have their own sound, but if one was to generalise, what would its core/base tone (bass/mids/highs) be closer to, compared to say Marshall and Vox, regarding grunt/chime?
    I'd say they sit quite squarely in the middle of Marshall and Vox, tone-wise. They'll chime a bit if you keep the tone and treble controls high, but once overdriven they're probably a bit closer to a Marshall sound than that hairy Vox thing.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited June 2017
    The only Laney I've played is my GH50L but I'd say it's like a Marshall JCM800 with more gain and less balls/snarl. The mids are more lower mid than high mid and the treble can take your head off if youre not careful with it. After years of being love/hate with it, I'll be trying to selling it later on in the year so I can buy a Marshall.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i have the laney vc30 212, lovely amp but sadly im finding it too heavy to lug  around. tempted to get the 112, or the 210 but for now im using a katana.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2951
    They benefit from a speaker change, just watch the clearance between valves and magnet on the 1x12. Otherwise, the term 'bang-for-buck' pretty much sums these up.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    I'm in the process of selling my VC30 112 to the other guitarist in my band as I wasn't using it nearly enough, it'll be his first valve amp. The Laney is a fantastic amp, great bang for the buck as they aren't really that high profile. very loud for such a relatively small amp. No sellers remorse as I've recently acquired an LC15R as a backup amp (£50, thanks Cash Generators!).
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    I recently acquired an LC30 and am utterly blown away with how good it works s for such little money.

Enjoy!!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited June 2017

Had  2 - a 2x12 which I used in a band for a lil while as a great pedal platform and after that I went onto buy a 2x10, but wasn't really using it in a band setting as I was in my band wilderness at that time. Both amps had a lovely chimy clean sound. The 2x12 was much louderer but had this crappy fuzzy sound to the dirt channel which I never liked. But since it was an awesome clean pedal platform I didn't mind....when I eventually got the 2x10 I expected the same dirt channel. Well since it is the same preamp circuit the only difference must be the speakers - the 2x10 never had that fuzz tone to its dirt channel - it was nice n smooth which is what I like. I still look on ebay for a nice 2x10 as I'd happily own another if a good priced one comes up....be perfect for rehearsals as I usually can't be bothered lugging to a rehearsal (when its a real gig I don't mind). The 2x10 is way lighterer just as its way less louderer.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Nice NAD. Lot of amp for the money.

I own two Laney's, their warehouse is 20 minutes walk from my house and one of their old managers lives by me ( his car reg is AMP 1) so I am a bit biased. I used to rehearse in a place next to the old HH factory and they had a skip full of broken Laney and HH name plates I kept thinking about nicking.

The VCs were roughly their Vox equivalents I guess, the LCs their Marshall's. Trevor at Tipton Amps is the great fountain of knowledge on old Laney's although he never made the move across from Musicradar.  
    I see what you did there. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited June 2017
    i have the laney vc30 212, lovely amp but sadly im finding it too heavy to lug  around. tempted to get the 112, or the 210 but for now im using a katana.
    That's why I got the VC30 210 - plus it has a lovely 'vintagy' tone that's slightly toppier and very articulate that cuts easily through the mix - makes a nice change from a 2x12 that can be a bit bottom end heavy.  I have the 1x12 extn cab if I want to add a little more bottom end and a tad more volume.  Shameless gear pic below.

A VC30-112 with a Redfang should sound very good! 

Re distortion, I found that putting a Russian Electroharmonix 12AX7 in (goodness, I've forgotten - V2 I think, but might have been V1) gives a much more articulate 'crunch'.  

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/voxman5/ADVENT-PC/Pictures/Gear/Laney VC30-210 and GS112VE cab/VC30_zpsb3e2ff4f.jpg

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)