Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cheap, but decent sounding small body acoustic recommendations please...

What's Hot
MistergMisterg Frets: 333
Assuming that the title isn't a complete oxymoron...

I've had a 'nothing special' dreadnought sized guitar around the house for decades, but barely played it. I've realised that one of the reasons is that it's too big to fit comfortably under my arm, especially to play when slobbing around on the sofa, (I'm used to electrics which doesn't help, either) so I'm looking for something smaller.

I guess I'm looking at 'Folk' sized guitars, but it would be helpful if someone could explain the way sizing works - is a 'Concert' guitar the same thing?. My daughter has a Fairclough Star 'Parlour' size guitar which plays nicely, but is a little small and the body joins at the 12th fret - I would very much like a cut-away.

It's only for noodling around the house & playing BBQ type stuff, so I would prefer something cheap-ish that I wouldn't feel too bad about taking places & passing round, etc.  and would like it to sound pleasant  to me, at least . Not bothered about volume, etc.

Used or new doesn't matter to me, so what sort of thing should I be looking at? I guess I'd be looking at £200 max
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    This might help re. body shapes (although it doesn't show 'folk', which by my judgement is between parlour and concert sizes): http://holeinthewood.com/body_shape?zenid=moqhvsfuhfm3uguvgt56kk50e4

Yamaha APXs tend to be quite shallow-bodied, if the depth rather than the physical size of the body is the issue with the dread - aside from that, something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/tanglewood-electro-acoustic-guitar-/231032715382?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item35ca9f7876 would probably do you nicely, as would this (I'm pretty sure I've played one of these and found them to be pleasantly small-bodied): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electro-Acoustic-Guitar-Used-/171104061069?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27d698c68d

I'm sure there's more (a lot of folk here swear by Faith for lower-end acoustics, I'm not so well-versed with them) but should any come to mind I'll be back! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72337
    I had a little Brunswick one a couple of years ago that was quite nice - it wasn't a cutaway but I've seen some that are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    I had a cheap Freshman folk sized guitar which punched above its weight price-wise. If you really want a cutaway maybe try this-http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/acoustic_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13060312102032.
    If you can do without the cutaway have a look at the Sigma range
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 333
    Thanks - I've been keeping an eye on evil-bay, but was probably being too specific in my searches (and in any case, I'd like to try before I buy)... but I nearly pressed the button on that Tangelwood TW130 @-)

I'll have to do the rounds of the LGS.
  • barry2tonebarry2tone Frets: 212
    edited August 2013
    These have  a discount on this week, reasonably well spoken of, no cutaway. Recording King.

Having an acoustic wing to this forum may get expensive. 
    :-\"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    For the money, I would be all over the Sogma's, the ones ve played in stores have been fab. http://www.gak.co.uk/en/sigma-000m-1st/57622
    Ta - I don't think I'd get one without a cutaway. Seems to mean that I'm looking at electro-acoustics though...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited August 2013
    Really loving my Breedlove, all mahogany, OM/MMe

EDIT: £250 IIRC s/h
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    I have a folk sized Alvarez I picked up on here for £80 and its great, easily better than the Martin dx1 I had before, I'd take a look at them if I were you.
    OK - headed East this morning, and can report the following:

Staff in Back Alley Music, Mold very helpful and knowledgable. Dorks in Dawsons less so. (I cornered one - he was edging away along one wall of the shop with his back to me; I turned as if to go. He dropped his guard and turned back towards the shop whereupon I made to approach him again so he span on his heel and went back to staring at the wall - the only trouble was, he'd reached the end of the display so walked straight into the corner and stood there staring at nothing like a naughty boy. I stood behind him for must be 30 seconds waiting for him to turn around, but he just stared intently at the blank corner. F**k 'em - they had nothing on display that I wanted to look at, anyway...)

Yamaha APX 400 - decent size, actually and nice to play, but 'dead' sound. APX700 better in that respect, but over budget and still sounded 'meh' for the price IMHO.

I tried a Sigma which seemed well put together, but man! that neck should have a farm gate hung from it. No way for me.

Seagull - also seemed to have a large-ish neck (and over budget). Sounded OK

I found a small mahognay looking Ibanez with a cutaway which looked and felt great (a really, really thin neck), but had the acoustics of an elastic band over a shoe box.

The current favourite is a LAG Tramontane T66A - Plays and sounds really nice, well put together, but the body (auditorium) feels bulkier than it looks. I feels bigger than the Yamaha APX. I could be tempted, though.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

Fretwired said:
    This might be useful...
    Thanks - very interesting. The trouble is that everything gets such glowing reviews! :-/
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    Misterg said:

Fretwired said:
    This might be useful...
    Thanks - very interesting. The trouble is that everything gets such glowing reviews! :-/

funny that, if you went by the reviews you'd never buy a bad guitar. Which is odd cos when you actually get to play some, you find some real holwers.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    VimFuego said:
    Misterg said:

Fretwired said:
    This might be useful...

funny that, if you went by the reviews you'd never buy a bad guitar. Which is odd cos when you actually get to play some, you find some real holwers.
    Do you really buy a guitar on the strength of a review? It might be a good guitar, but it may not be right for you. I just use reviews as a starting point.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    VimFuego said:
    Misterg said:

Fretwired said:
    This might be useful...

Aye, anyone would think that the manufacturers select the very best examples of each guitar to send out as review samples...:p 
    VimFuego said:
    Misterg said:

Fretwired said:
    This might be useful...

Aye, anyone would think that the manufacturers select the very best examples of each guitar to send out as review samples...:p 
    Fretwired said:

Do you really buy a guitar on the strength of a review? It might be a good guitar, but it may not be right for you. I just use reviews as a starting point.
    Me? No - but I would hope to get some sort of differentiation between guitars to help narrow the field (to use as a starting point if you will), instead of everything being the "Best Thing Ever".

I played several guitars today that were very, very different, yet you'd never know that reading the MR reviews.

Expedition Westwards tomorrow...

:)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5037
    I bought my daughter a Vintage V300 a couple of years ago, cost about £110 including cheap gigbag. It is an astonishingly decent guitar for the money, but they vary a lot as I looked at quite a few in the shops on Denmark Street before I found one I liked. Some of the others had odd-coloured mismatched tops and some were either badly set up or just badly made and not very playable. The guy in Rose Morris disappeared round the back, reappeared with a cardboard box, fished out the guitar and handed it straight to me without looking at it. The setup - or something - was so bad that the strings were flapping against the fingerboard, so I handed it back and went elsewhere.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    I ve tried the vintage parlour and the small alverez one and found them both very good. Also a I tried to trade my Taylor big baby in a shop and they would only offer me £150 for it , I didnt do it but i ll probably only get £200 for it privately.So second hand values bring a lot of guitars into your price range.
  • Try the Gretsch "Jim Dandy" parlour. I got one recently and I'm beginning to like it
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself