Wich amp

What's Hot
mac75mac75 Frets: 0
Wonderd if anyone can point me in right direction. I have a budget of around £600 for an amp as I've only been playing around 6 months I haven't got the confidence to go into guitar shop and try some out would sound terrible anyway ha. I've watched some videos online and a few that get great reviews are Marshall dsl 15/40c and the fender bassbreaker 15/40 combo also the vox ac30 and possibly something from blackstar? Just interested to see what thoughts are on these
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    edited June 2017
    If it's for home use, an AC30 is way over the top....unless you're in the countryside with no neighbours in sight.   It's even too big for many small gigs. 

Maybe go go with a Fender mustang or GDEC, with offer a decent selection of tones at home volume   There are lots of small cheap modelling amps around 

if it has had to be valve, 5w is plenty loud for home use. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    40 watts, even 15 watts is phenomenally loud if you're only using it at home levels.
    Having said that, a Princeton Reverb is a nice amp but probably out of budget.
  • mac75mac75 Frets: 0
    Ha ha yeah I meant box ac15
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Some indication of your musical preferences/aspirations would be helpful.

"Five watts loud enough for a home" ? And then some! Really you need to have the ability to let rip, at least now and again because for all the clever modelling and 'attenuattetin' around these days you need to know the REAL sound.

Test: If loud telly pisses people off, look for an amp with a headphone jack (I really musn't say!) and get a pair of CLOSED back cans. I am getting a pair of AKG K92s for dad's day. Will reeeport!

Dave.

Music taste pop rock blues metal anything really 
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    Mate - we've all been there at one point or another and in my view, you just need to puff your chest out go into somewhere like Guitar Guitar where they have booths that you can try something out and have a thrash on a few.  Play the one string Smoke on the Water if you want to!  

The guys in there couldn't give a monkeys whether you're Brian May or Theresa May: if you've explained that you're a relative beginner and that you have up to £600 to get you through the next few years, they will be MORE THAN happy to help. 

£600 will buy you quite a bit, though I would say 2nd hand is always best if you know what you're looking for.  

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Which. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    The great thing about guitar shops is that they don`t mind if your good. bad or indifferent - they`ll still happily take your cash!

So Go and try!

Besides, one of the best parts about learning to play is also learning what you like. You can read all sorts on the web these days, but there`s no substitute for going and trying it. You may well find that you simply don`t like some things that others love - and vica versa of course.Have fun............ :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    edited June 2017
    TheMarlin said:
    If it's for home use, an AC30 is way over the top....unless you're in the countryside with no neighbours in sight.   It's even too big for many small gigs.
    AC30s sound wonderful at home volume, especially the modern ones with master volumes.

The only problem with them is the size, if you've got a small house - and even then they're not that big. And the weight if you've got to move it anywhere…

In my opinion they also sound better than AC15s, at any volume.

This "too loud" thing really baffles me. Do amps not have volume controls or something?

£600 will be enough for an AC30 second hand, if it's one of the modern models.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    edited June 2017
    Two words... Boss Katana.

The 50s can be had new for £180, sound great, and will let you save you budget for when you know more what you like and want from an amplifier, put it in savings instead and when you KNOW whether you want to go for a DSL, a Bassbreaker, a Bluex Deluxe, an AC30 etc - you will have the cash right there.

If you can't play great yet (I have been playing on and off for about 18 years and I still suck) then you will find something you can play with headphones and at very low volumes (the Katana sounds very good through both) a benefit, will just help keep you in the game.

There is a lot of snobbery in guitar gear circles, and if you haven't auditioned valve amps and found them superior, I assume you are thinking they are cos people have told you, given the models you mention I'd guess (like me and many other guitarists) you find Chappers and the Captain to be required viewing. 

Those models are all regarded as excellent, that applies however to particular use cases you might not deal with, so don't write off cheaper modellers and ss amps without consideration.

Just my 2 cents
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Thanks for the input fellas. Yeah watch a lot of chappers and the captain stuff ha ha but some of the amps have been featured in the sound like vids. TBH a modelling amp had crossed my mind as something to start off with 
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited June 2017

I think either a modelling amp or a lil Blackstar HT-5R or a lil Laney VC30 1x12 or 2x10 and a few pedals. For a decent home sound I don't think you need to spend anything close to 600 squids.

I have an AC30HW2x and a DSL50 and a JVM...and a couple of Roland Cubes - (Micro cube  and 30x) the cubes I can use with just a guitar and a cable. The AC30 needs pedals for dirt (personally not really into the preamp dirt that modern AC30s have...rather have a cheap OD pedal (like an SD-1) for dirt than that) The 2 Marshalls I have sound decent straight in as they have nice rich OD sounds via the preamp...but the valve amps all sound way better at gig levels. In the house they sound alright. The opposite is true of modellers -- at low volumes ie in the house they sound good...turn em up in a band and they sound increasingly more fake and even to the point of being unbearable. By what you say you're after or where you're at I'd say a small home amp is more than enough.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    'Wich' amp? 

FFS - it's 'Witch' amp....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Who's on first?
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Which. 
    Vox 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    OP you are near Richtone in Sheffield, I've only been there once but the old guy was very helpful and friendly. IMHO walk in there and do what Mctoot said. And dont fee forced to buy something straight away. I have a very long relationship with Coda and always explain when I'm trying. They know me and know I will buy something eventually. Also go off peak not Saturday afternoon. 
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Used Princeton or used Cornell Romany, it has different power settings down to about 1/4 watt
    slacker said:
    OP you are near Richtone in Sheffield, I've only been there once but the old guy was very helpful and friendly. IMHO walk in there and do what Mctoot said. And dont fee forced to buy something straight away. I have a very long relationship with Coda and always explain when I'm trying. They know me and know I will buy something eventually. Also go off peak not Saturday afternoon. 
    Richtone isn't far from atall been in there for a nosey at guitars before saturday is the only day I can get tho 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Go early then. :)
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Simple and affordable rock tones

One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.