How many of you use a compressor?

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I have generally come to the conclusion that to sound as clear as I can in a band mix I need to use the minimum amount of gain possible at gig volume. This however leaves me a bit lacking in the sustain of each note leaving my sound a bit lifeless.

so I have been thinking about using a compressor at the start of my chain. Looking at the demos of the Cali 76 it just seems to make everything sound better!!! How many of you use a compressor? Which one? And for what purpose?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I use a compressor, a Ross Comp DIY job. And I use it mostly with my Strat to hold the volume at a particular point in my amps' own compression/distortion curve and give it a bit of extra attack spank. So if the amp's set so that it breaks up slightly if I hit the strings hard, I use the comp to get that mild breakup/ harmonic saturation more consistently.

Sometimes I use it with a pedal OD/Dist/Fuzz to do basically the same job - hold the notes at a particular volume, so the tone of the sustain remains constant. The Ross Comp in particular also does something quite nice to the mids; they get a bit thicker.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Cali 76 cd. Makes everything sound better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    I use a Keeley 2 knob Compressor and leave it on all the time.

I set it so that you notice it's on, especially under fingers,  but the sound can still breathe.

It's pretty integral to my clean and lead sounds.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7862
    The Keeley limited is very popular with some guitar buddies on the USA west coast. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    I use it on clean guitar and bass.
    I don't really see the point on distorted guitar- distortion does a similar thing to compression anyway.

I am partial to the Analogman Comprosser.
    Keeley 4 knob is great too.
    My favourite compressor on bass is the Empirical Labs Distressor.
  • vizviz Frets: 10694
    I always use my Keeley 4 knob on cleans. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Keeley 4k here always for cleans except a humbucker guitar. Input rolled down some, comp up. Clean, transparent and adds a sheen to things, keeps and even adds to touch dynamics.
    Also sometimes run it into a fuzz, takes away the heavy low end/low mids and makes it cut more.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5144
    I have generally come to the conclusion that to sound as clear as I can in a band mix I need to use the minimum amount of gain possible at gig volume. This however leaves me a bit lacking in the sustain of each note leaving my sound a bit lifeless.
    I came to that conclusion too, only I don't really like what happens when I put an "always-on" compressor in the mix on sounds like that. It might just be a matter of tweaking the knobs until I find the spot I like, but I've found that I prefer the compression I get from playing with a little more distortion than I need, but playing with a light touch.

When you dig in you get more sustain, and if you whack a big open chord it sounds distorted, but when you play lightly and/or play partial chords, and/or put the guitar volume down a hair it sounds clean, but sustaining. Amp is a Laney Lionheart L20T BTW, so roughly in the Marshall/Vox tonal ballpark. YMMV with this of course- it worked for the music I was playing in my last band.

What I do like using a compressor for is cleaner arpeggiated parts, or anything that involves U2-y picked parts with rhythmic delays, and with my lap steel. Mine is a BYOC 5-Knob comp, which is a modified Ross with controls for compression, tone, attack and volume, plus a clean blend control.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited June 2017
    octatonic said:

I am partial to the Analogman Comprosser.

The Analogman Bi-Comp is also a good one as it offers you the choice of 2 different flavours of compression (combines a Ross based CompROSSor and a Juicer clone of the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer). However, you can use one of them/one side of it as a boost and it's also available in a mini-pedal version.

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Another vote for the Cali 76 CD. Love mine
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Orange Squeezer type comps are nice for clean, finger-picked arpeggios as well as giving extra sustain on lead runs. 
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3019
    There are a few songs in our set that benefit from having a bit of compression applied to give consistant volume/dynamics.  I wouldn't want to leave it on all the time but my Barber Tone Press does a good job when I need it.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5144
    Sassafras said:
    Orange Squeezer type comps are nice for clean, finger-picked arpeggios as well as giving extra sustain on lead runs. 
    I keep meaning to build one. I must get round to it and compare it to my BYOC/Ross.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    I use a comp almost all the time, sometimes two; love the sound of a dyna comp into another comp. Currently using a Maxon RTC which replaced the Keeley Comp Pro. The Keeley is undoubtedly more flexible but the Maxon gives me exactly the sound I'm after and works fantastically well on bass. It's one of very few comps I've found that improves the core sound of the bass even with heavy compression applied. I don't gig, so no issues of standing out in the mix etc., I'm just focussed on getting a sound I like.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6111
    I recently picked up a used T Rex Comp Nova off​ a forumite  and it is sublime. I've used cheap compressors in the past and never been impressed, but this one is really quite special. In front of my BB clone pedal it is just perfect, adding a touch sensitivity and warmth to the sound. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    Seems there are a lot of compressors in use! I use a Les Paul or a double cut junior into a cornfield roadhouse 50 2x12. I set the amp to a crunch setting so I can get a clean sound through either picking lighter or rolling the volume off a touch. 

The singer in the band plays rhythm guitar but often is just strumming chords so I try to avoid that and add interest by picking the chords, single note riffs or switching between lick and fingers. When I'm hitting chords with a pick I come through the mix fine but then if I switch to a little riff using my fingers or and arpeggiated part I disappear. Would having a compressor on allow these bits to pop out more? 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I use the Dinasaural compressor. Great it is too. Did use it on all the time but experimenting only on clean setting st the moment 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    Love my old CS2 as a clean boost with very little compression on clean to semi-breaking  single coil tones.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Yes, another Cali76 here. Overdrive for your clean sound, to quote That Pedal Show.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7862
    My 'always on' is a Simble Pre Driver.  It adds a touch of compression, reigning in the bass.  Great for a 5E3 which can be bass flubby.