1967 Marshall JMP 50

What's Hot
jkirk170493jkirk170493 Frets: 27
Hi guys,

Jono from The Music Locker. I have the opportunity to buy this beauty of an amplifier. Just wondering if you Marshall heads could help me with the originality part. It looks like it's original but what do you think?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited June 2017
    Not enough photos, but it would have to be a 67 to have a tube rectifier, I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riscado said:
    Not enough photos, but it would have to be a 67 to have a tube rectifier, I think.
    They're the only photos I've got at the moment... But do the transformers look original? The caps date it to mid 67 which is good!
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    Yes Looks good/original, get more pictures though. what is happening on the pre-amp side, does it sound good?

Needs a clean up and service, I recently cleaned up a 68 where the filter caps had vomited all over the inside as they were well past it. + it will sound better too
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    Are you going to share the profits you make from the sale with the forum?  ;)

Assuming you buy it, that is.

• jkirk170493jkirk170493 Frets: 27
    edited June 2017
    Yes Looks good/original, get more pictures though. what is happening on the pre-amp side, does it sound good?

Needs a clean up and service, I recently cleaned up a 68 where the filter caps had vomited all over the inside as they were well past it. + it will sound better too
    If I manage to buy it, I'll upload some more. Thanks so much for the help! 

@breadfan I'll be sure to donate! Can you let me know how to?
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    I've never owned anything earlier than 69 but all its solder joints had red marker on them if that means anything.
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Valve rectified, steel chassis, 784-139 output tranny with EL34's. A transitional amp and quite rare. There's a good chance it's a black flag JTM.

I want it, lots.

Rob
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Frets: 673
    One changed valve base and indicator light ? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    clarkefan said:
    I've never owned anything earlier than 69 but all its solder joints had red marker on them if that means anything.
    Older ones didn't have.

This one looks pretty original to me, apart from the valve base and light as jacksparrow said.

In fact if you wanted to use it as a reliable working amp it needs to be made quite a bit *less* original, unfortunately!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    IC, and lets not talk about what to do with the Bulgin  :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    What's wrong with the bulgin? Doesn't it work fine if you buy an adaptor and put a power chord on it?
    Without going into too much detail we have had lots of discussions about the legality or otherwise of the Bulgin plug / socket arrangement, and its method of clamping the incoming cable, and whether it could be PAT tested etc. etc.......
    edited July 2017
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    @ICBM did chapter and verse on this already, you can look it up.

Also don't send anything with one to Marshall, they'll replace it as a matter of course. 
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379

@breadfan I'll be sure to donate! Can you let me know how to?
    I'm sure if you message @TTony he could gladly take a donation  :)

riscado, in short, if it is just for home use or you are a collector, don't worry unduly, they are not actually illegal, but you won't get anyone to put a PAT test on your amp as there is a basic flaw in the cable clamping design e.g. there is none! If you were gigging I would strongly recommend you swap it out for a TAD IEC socket, which fits into the same screw hole centres and just needs a minimum of work on the chassis to fit (and doesn't leave any gaps), so you could always fit the Bulgin back if you sold the amp on. 
    edited July 2017
    thanks
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Looks pretty good to me. Mines a 68 and the seriel No. is just over 10000 if that helps.
  • Thanks so much everyone! Hopefully I'll know today whether it can be bought right. I'll post more photos as and when it comes in! Thanks again! 

P.S. @breadfan I've emailed TTony so should hear back soon!
  • HI guys, I ended up getting it and it's a beauty! It's currently going out to the tech today but should have it back tomorrow. I'll post pictures when it's back! Thanks for all your help guys, as always grateful!