N(VC)AD

LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
edited June 2017 in Amps
New vintage canadian amp day. 

I recently spotted this Traynor YBA-1A (the 90w version with built in fan) on the Aluminium Axes fb group for 400 quid. These never crop up in the UK and it seemed a great price, so it was hard to say no. It's been recapped, revalved and serviced by Martin Cooper at Coopersonic in Nottingham. I don't know much about him, but apparently he's quite well rated.

I'd say it weighs more than my grandmother. 

The plan is actually to let our bassist use it for the meanwhile through a 4x10. I imagine it sounds great on bass, since that's what it was designed for. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Looks cool, very solid amps. I used to have a YGM-3.
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Nice! 
  • Good looking amp! I've never seen one before, but I've heard a yga-something and it was great. 

Happy nad! 
    Thanks man. Bit under the radar, especially in the UK. 

They are very similar to plexis. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Make sure you have good EL34/6CA7s in it! They are really hard on valves otherwise.

A 6550/KT88 substitution is probably not out of the question if you want to use it for bass - you'll need to rebias, but the transformers should handle it otherwise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ta. I'll bear that in mind. We'll see how it gets on with the tubes in it. The guy who sold it to me claims they are 'matched'. I haven't looked at them, but I doubt they're anything expensive. 

Any idea of which cab I'd want to use for bass with it? I imagine it wouldn't really get a 1x15 moving? 4x10? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Probably the other way round, but either will work. 1x15"s tend to be looser-sounding, which can make a lower-power amp sound louder even if the efficiency is only about the same. 4x10"s are usually punchier but tighter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Interesting. We'll see what we can find. Thanks, as always.