PA newbie, di etc help

What's Hot
1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
We recently lost out PA man/owner so I've decided to get a decent set up so I'm not relying on anyone else....my main question is regarding DI boxes, we have two acoustic guitars and a mandolin which will all be going into the PA, no backline...I've read so many different opinions so I thought I'd ask here as I know I'll get an answer....do I need DI boxes for the acoustic instruments, the last guy used to just plug them straight in but I'm not sure we were getting the best results?

Cheers

Gaz
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    If the instruments have onboard active preamps, you *can* just plug straight in, although you'll still almost certainly get better results with a DI box.

If they don't, you can't really - it will "work" in the sense that you'll get a signal through and it will make sound, but it won't sound at all good. Be especially careful with the mandolin if it's an electro-acoustic one, many I've seen have old-fashioned passive controls masquerading as a preamp. No battery - passive, needs a DI box.

The Behringer DI boxes are actually OK and cost so little it's worth having a set - they actually do a 2-in-1 that's even cheaper than the normal one. A couple of those would cover you and still leave a spare channel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Further to what ICBM says, loading the pickups properly gets the best results. I have had good results with the actine behringers the DI 120 is the twin input and the D100.
    Also look at Orchid electronics for some quality good value DI boxes. If you want to use a passive DI box do not go cheap because it's all about the quality of the audio transformer and they are not cheap and good at the same time.
    If you want the best range of DI boxes then Radial are tough to beat, their website carries some first class technical data on the subject.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    ok...so basically, no battery=di box?

ah cheers ICBM I was gonna ask about stereo ones for 2 instruments......on the ball as usual :)

• As per above Orchids are the way to go (mini cheaper and sonically better than the behringer) . Would suggest that if money stretches to it get their muting ones especially if your running with no sound man. "Stereo" Di's are just two in one box great for one player with two instruments not so for two players with two instruments unless they stand still!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    well......the Behringer DI120 is shit.....I bought 2.....they work great as a single di but when you use them as a 2 channel box the crosstalk makes them worthless

Orchids it is then.....
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The 2 in 1 Behringers have a 'link' switch which needs to be OFF else it functions as a stereo DI suitable for drum machines/keyboards etc.

But as you might have discovered they are disposable and cheap.

yep, the link switch doesn't seem to have much effect, there's almost 100% bleed across the channels....I'll just use em as single channel di's for now until they break
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    edited February 2014
    1nten5e said:
    well......the Behringer DI120 is shit.....I bought 2.....they work great as a single di but when you use them as a 2 channel box the crosstalk makes them worthless

That's disappointing and somewhat embarrassing since I recommended them :(.

I didn't expect that - the sound engineers at a couple of open mics I play at use the normal Behringer ones and they're fine. (Although they did once have one that was dead out of the box, brand new.)

1nten5e said:
    yep, the link switch doesn't seem to have much effect, there's almost 100% bleed across the channels....I'll just use em as single channel di's for now until they break
    Sounds like the switches may actually be faulty - there shouldn't be as much crosstalk as that even in a stereo box - in fact, no reason there should be any more than in a dual mono one really...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein