H9 info/users

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
edited June 2017 in FX
I've been talking to people about the H9. It sounds like it could cover all the sounds I use from my Timeline and Mobius. Which means I could probably lose those big pedals off my board or at least one of them (maybe the Timeline) which will give me back some valuable real estate. Although I do love those Strymons Are there any users here that can let me know of the pros and cons for the H9? Apart from it being bloody expensive 'cos I think I'd go for the max'd version

Also, whats this about transferring a Max account if one buys it used? I believe somewhere here got done recently when they thought they were buying a Max and paid accordingly and then found it was a core or something :( How does one avoid that from ever happening – buy a factory Maxed out version instead?
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would definitely go for an H9 Max from the beginning (used or new) rather than Maxing a Standard H9 or Core.

In terms of replacing your Timeline or Mobius, what style of music would you be using it for?

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822

I would definitely go for an H9 Max from the beginning (used or new) rather than Maxing a Standard H9 or Core.

In terms of replacing your Timeline or Mobius, what style of music would you be using it for?

Covers band covering funk , soul r&b and some rock 
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I went in the other direction.

Definitely go for a Max if you do it, the price of the algos is too high if not - certainly if you want to get near Max spec, they're £19.99 each I think now (from memory).

You can edit with the H9, but will end up using the iphone (other devices exist) editor - for me I prefer by a long way the Strymon editing - just works for me.

One thing to remember if you're an IoS user, or buying from one - when you buy on an IoS device, this is linked to your Apple ID and completely non-transferable, if you buy direct from Eventide you can.

Also, preset changing whilst achievable certainly with the H9, is easier with the Strymons unless you use Midi or an add-on switch.

In terms of sounds, for delays I prefer the Timeline, for wah, phaser and whacky mods the H9 for chorus and flanger (and vibe) the Mobius.

They're actually quite different to be honest - and all are great units

The problem I have the Mobius is it has so many sounds that I don't ever see myself using tbh. Timeline similarly . H9 seems to cover most of the sounds I use really and it's Midi enabled so my Disaster Area unit can still select presets. And it's white. I'm quite into white lately LOL
    Realistically would it be over the top to own a timeline, möbius AND an H9?
  • I own a Timeline, Big Sky and H9, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask!

If it's for a covers band playing those styles, I would say that just the H9 would do. A lot of their algorithms have 2 or sometimes more effects in one, so you may be able to get away with just the H9.

I think it's one of the greatest pieces of effects engineering in the past few decades. Considering how much it can do and how little space it takes up, relatively speaking, it's a modern tech miracle.
    I own a Timeline, Big Sky and H9, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask!

If it's for a covers band playing those styles, I would say that just the H9 would do. A lot of their algorithms have 2 or sometimes more effects in one, so you may be able to get away with just the H9.

I think it's one of the greatest pieces of effects engineering in the past few decades. Considering how much it can do and how little space it takes up, relatively speaking, it's a modern tech miracle.
    Oh god that means I just may have to find one now used. No rush though as I am perfectly happy with my strymons but the small footprint is desirable :)
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    I own a Timeline, Big Sky and H9, so I'm probably the wrong person to ask!

I am in a covers band it it does exactly that. I own the standard and I have purchased 3-4 additional algos, mostly for fun. Combined with the other fx on my board the H9 is used mainly for delays and verbs of different types but is on during 80% of the set. The other thing is that some algos have dual fx, delay and modulation or octave and fuzz. You can get pretty much most of what you need out of it for the set and plenty of wacky ones to muck about with in the privacy of your own home
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    Is the Eventide customer support good should I need any help etc?
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    edited June 2017
    I recently bought a core and have purchased a couple of other algorithms. You can trial the unbought ones, and I personally think alot of them cover the same ground.

Other thing to note that I was unaware of when I bought it was that the H9 is designed for guitar level signal only. So if be a little careful if you plan to use it in an FX loop.

In my Jet City 20hv in the loop the red light for input signal being too hot comes on, but in saying that I can`t hear any clipping. If you have a hotter loop you may have issues. Seems like a huge and often unmentioned mistake from Eventide not to give a line level option too.
  • newi123 said:
    I recently bought a core and have purchased a couple of other algorithms. You can trial the unbought ones, and I personally think alot of them cover the same ground.

Other thing to note that I was unaware of when I bought it was that the H9 is designed for guitar level signal only. So if be a little careful if you plan to use it in an FX loop.

In my Jet City 20hv in the loop the red light for input signal being too hot comes on, but in saying that I can`t hear any clipping. If you have a hotter loop you may have issues. Seems like a huge and often unmentioned mistake from Eventide not to give a line level option too.
    Might depends on the loop, but the H9 works fine in the loop of my Mesa.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Depends 100% on the loop - useful to know it works well in the mesa - which model?

Unfortunately most amp makers don`t seem to give much info on the level the loop runs at. Would be useful for someone to compile a list!
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Eventide support very good imho...

However, Im really not a fan of the H9. Ive owned one three times, each time thinking I mustve missed something...

It just sounded digital; always. 

I also owned a Space at the same time, which i really liked, but the H9 never quite sounded or felt the same... i dunno, maybe its me...

If youre looking to simplify with less tweaking, it might not be the pedal for you.
    Eventide support very good imho...

However, Im really not a fan of the H9. Ive owned one three times, each time thinking I mustve missed something...

It just sounded digital; always. 

I also owned a Space at the same time, which i really liked, but the H9 never quite sounded or felt the same... i dunno, maybe its me...

If youre looking to simplify with less tweaking, it might not be the pedal for you.
    Well after viewing TPS today I still think the Möbius wins which I have and love it too. Alright it doesn't have analogue through but it's very subtle difference IMO where an audience would t ever know. Cork sniffers maybe ;) The size of the H9 is appealing though :) The price ain't :(
  • newi123 said:
    Depends 100% on the loop - useful to know it works well in the mesa - which model?

Unfortunately most amp makers don`t seem to give much info on the level the loop runs at. Would be useful for someone to compile a list!
    It's the Rectoverb 25W combo, has a buffered effects loop.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Eventide support is good imho and no issues with it in my loop
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Recently acquired the aforementioned H9 which was sold as near Max but was only a Core with 6 algos. 

I have :
    Vintage Delay
    Tape Delay
    Hall Reverb
    Chorus
    Phaser
    Flanger
    UltraTap

And I bought Spacetime It came with H910/949 harmonisers

Might get a Trem soon but tbh I've got every base I need covered so far. 

I use it pre/post but thinking of going Stereo or Wet/Dry. 

Its absolutely my rigs heart and and soul for fx, I have only a little donner flanger and a Wah in addition, I'm using a midi loop switcher to control it and have it set up with trails for smooth changeover. 

I use the internal output control to boost my levels for solos or pushing the input of my amp, it's replaced pretty much every pedal or multi fx I had and was totally worth the money, the app control is awesome ( which is good as the pedal interface is a bit awkward)

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Recently acquired the aforementioned H9 which was sold as near Max but was only a Core with 6 algos. 

I have :
    Vintage Delay
    Tape Delay
    Hall Reverb
    Chorus
    Phaser
    Flanger
    UltraTap

Its absolutely my rigs heart and and soul for fx, I have only a little donner flanger and a Wah in addition, I'm using a midi loop switcher to control it and have it set up with trails for smooth changeover. 

I use the internal output control to boost my levels for solos or pushing the input of my amp, it's replaced pretty much every pedal or multi fx I had and was totally worth the money, the app control is awesome ( which is good as the pedal interface is a bit awkward)

Yesterday I tried just the H9 in the loop of my Mesa plus a Klone for a boost. I could easily play a gig with just that. It's genius.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Recently acquired the aforementioned H9 which was sold as near Max but was only a Core with 6 algos. 

I have :
    Vintage Delay
    Tape Delay
    Hall Reverb
    Chorus
    Phaser
    Flanger
    UltraTap

Yesterday I tried just the H9 in the loop of my Mesa plus a Klone for a boost. I could easily play a gig with just that. It's genius.
    Yep in a way the limitation of some algos makes my choices easier. 

Chorus delay flanger etc is just that. 
    If I want chorus and verb it's SpaceTime,  making me dick about less with options and make more music. The only thing I'm considering now is it's circa £460 to max out mine, So I can either do it drip feed over the next 2 years an algos a month or just save up a bit and get a 2nd Max. 

I think getting a 2nd Max is the better option but it's tough holding off getting more algos while I wait. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    I took the plunge and bought a max, that way I get all the new algorithms for free too, Worth every penny.
    I was toying with the idea of getting a core as I'd be able to 'max' that too if you own a max and core you can transfer algorithms to the core through the H9 app.
    But then Boss announced the ms3 so I'm going to get that instead and have the H9 in a loop. Doubt I'll need anymore fx for a long time.

I'd definitely recommend getting a midi controller for it to make switching presets easier also get the 3 way aux switch too, that way between those and the app you don't even need to touch the H9!