Guitar my age

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I'm 1986, which is a bit of a weird one. I'm not an LP guy, more of a superstrat person... Any ideas?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would love a 1973 LP Deluxe...

• Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    1955 so that rules out almost everything without having to sell the house. ;)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited February 2014
    lincolnblue;10621" said:
    I don't know why but recently I've been thinking that I'd love a guitar that was made the year I was born (1983). Not sure why really, just think it'd be a nice idea.

Anyone else like me? I can't afford one but a nice strat perhaps would suit.
    1983 you say... well that rules out Fenders - it was the worst year of the companies entire history :( they were still making lemons in 1984 ...

The problem with the Dan Smiths is people call loads of stuff Dan Smith strat when it's not.

I'd reccommend a Tokai, MIJ or Squier from that time as they were really at the top of their game then.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?

• Lexie1 said:
    so that's the house plus my soul.
    I do have a 69 Custom,its as close as I'll get.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    1954 here. Would have to be a banjo or a kazoo for me I think.
  • frankus;161600" said:
    1983 you say... well that rules out Fenders - it was the worst year of the companies entire history :( they were still making lemons in 1984 ...

The problem with the Dan Smiths is people call loads of stuff Dan Smith strat when it's not.
    Agree that two control/top mount trem guitars (which were produced into 1984) are often 'passed off' as Dan Smiths. As I said in my previous post, a 'proper' Dan Smith is a good guitar.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I was born in '82, so similar boat. I do tend to look at Dan Smith Strats and think "ooh" but never pull the trigger. I had an '82 Yamaha acoustic that was ace, but I swapped it for a few pedals a couple of years ago. I also briefly had an '82 LP Std in a rank sunburst that was dreadful and I sold it after about a week. Rest I've played of my birth year (the odd tele, a couple of acoustics) have all been crap. Given up now, tbh.
    richardhomer;161614" said:
    Agree that two control/top mount trem guitars (which were produced into 1984) are often 'passed off' as Dan Smiths. As I said in my previous post, a 'proper' Dan Smith is a good guitar.
    Interestingly the "84" strat was also made in 83. I've got one - I foolishly passed over a '72 hardtail strat (year of my birth) for it... ho hum - it's my only regret. I was young... it being 1990 back then.

I sometimes have dreams where I customise the saddles on the freeflyte and it suddenly becomes an awesome guitar. The knife-edge is an amazing surface for tone transfer and really hard steel - so it has potential. I was wondering about some kind of Floyd style string locking..

Dan Smith strats are awesome, though.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited February 2014
    Bidley said:
    I'm 1986, which is a bit of a weird one. I'm not an LP guy, more of a superstrat person... Any ideas?
    There were various Ibanez superstrat types in the 80s.  At the higher end of the market, didn't the Pensa-Suhrs that Knopfler used to play date from around this era.

FOr a more traditional Strat, I think Fender might have started to get their act together by then.   I think the management buyout from CBS was 1985?

I don't know if they'd restarted US production by 86, but there could be some nice Japanese ones from this era.

1986 was also the 2nd year of PRS production.  Their quantities were quite small at that stage and you'd pay a lot as these are collectable but you'd probably do well on resale if you ever sold it on.

Edit: Scratch the PRS - you're getting into stupid money for an 86.  I found one with an advertised price of $9,995.
  • Can't say I'm fussed about getting a 1973 instrument... I am happy to settle for the fact that several cracking, all-time classic albums were released that year :)

• hmmm...  Ive been looking for a left handed 1967 telecaster or SG for quite some time...

No joy to date..
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    @Bidley Kramer? Were they around then? Maybe a Charvel?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I'm not interested in that at all. If I was given one (1963) I'd sell it and use the money for something else. It would be too much to insure if nothing else!

I think that far more interesting is to build your own unique guitar - and I don't mean throw a partsacaster together, I'm thinking more of a carve your own neck level of involvement.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Bidley;161583" said:
    Jackson Soloist was THE one. And then came the JEM...
    86 - continuing the Knopfler vibe Schecter Strats!
  • Misty said:
    ......or in some cases don't exist! I do have two guitars from '64 though, the year I started playing. It's the best I'm ever going to do:-(

Thanks for that - all these youngsters were starting to make me feel old :)

I'm another '69. Nearest I have at the moment is a Hondo 12 string acoustic... it was made in the 80s, but it's trying to look like a Martin, so has the "Hondo Guitar Co, Est. 1969" on the headstock - half way there!

Actually if I was going to put huge money into a guitar (which I almost certainly never will) I'd be more likely to go for something from the late 50s than the late 60s - probably something like a Gretsch 6120. A '69 ES335 or even a LP would be nice, but I suspect still more money than I'm prepared to spend (my most expensive guitar is about £500-worth - I'm a bit of a miser! - plus it's good enough for my playing IMO).

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Bidley said:
    What bidley sezs is correct re PRS apart from the Pre Standards which can still be found at a reasonable price
    1986 is a good year for PRS, the low serial numbered ones are going up in value but the slump in the guitar market means there are bargains still to be had.
    A pre standard ( it was confusingly just called the PRS Guitar which got renamed to standard in 87,  most people refer to the early ones as pre standards) player like mine will still cost a few grand but the prices have dropped considerably.
    Mine is all mahogany, brazillian rosewood fingerboard, one piece milcom trem with the birds upgrade (pretty rare on this model) and the infamous winged tuners which were something of a revelation back in 80's a tremmed guitar that could be dive bombed and still stay in tune without a pile of allen keys and a degree in physics just to keep the guitar in tune.  
    I've owned this one since 1986 and it was my main gigging guitar right up until last year.
    Every ding is story and its just a lovely tactile guitar that i can guarantee will be in tune when i take it out of its case.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Lexie1 said:

My 1955 (my dad's birthyear) Framus archtop cost less than £50.     The framus isn't the most exciting guitar I own but its nice enough to get regular play and be worth keeping

I have a regal resonator from 1937, it cost less than £400.  its age alone does not make it a valuable example, but its a nice little guitar I am happy to own

Your all getting greedy by expecting a classic design from your birth year.

My birth year is 1980.  I don't particularly want a classic design from 1980, there are a few more unusual and rare things i wouldn't mind though and rarity and age don't always equate to value ...  so if I ever do get a birth year guitar it will more likely be something very much of its time thats not too expensive 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    1986 was also the 2nd year of PRS production.  Their quantities were quite small at that stage and you'd pay a lot as these are collectable but you'd probably do well on resale if you ever sold it on.

Prs started production halfway through the year so there's not that many 85 prs out there hence their high value to a collector.
    Mine was started in 85 and finished in january 86 so i have two serial numbers :)
    in the pick up cavity there's a 5 0*** and  on the headstock its got a 6 0*** number 
    It'll never be worth the big bucks as its a proper road warrior, the collectors prefer the blingy custom 24's in mint condition.
    If i ever sell it i would want it to go to a player not someone who'll just hang it on a wall like a trophy