Paint checking

What's Hot
Decided to give this a try when I had my tele apart for shielding. Just stuck it in the freezer then stuck it in front of the window in the sunshine. I'm quite happy with how it ended up. It's hard to photograph as it needs to be seen in particular lighting so looks a bit exaggerated in these photos. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    That's lovely.  Did you paint it too?  If so, how old is the paint?   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    WezV said:
    That's lovely.  Did you paint it too?  If so, how old is the paint?   

No, this is a bitsa I got from Gumtree 3 years old. The body is MJT so I reckon they finished it, it did have light checking but was also strangely matt - I polished it up a while ago because it looked a but weird. There is an old NGD thread where you can see how it used to look - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/13046/heaven-is-a-telecaster-part-2#latest

That makes sense, i reckon the freezer method will always work better with older paint.   But I am fairly sure MJT will check as soon as you look at them.

I have one in the garage  i keep meaning to do something with - it doesn't have the fine lines of yours, but it is heavily checked.   Similarly, its not a gloss finish.   A lot of relics avoid the gloss.   I tend to go shinier.  Most old guitars are still shiny even when worn and heavily crazed.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • flyingvflyingv Frets: 555
    How long in the freezer?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    flyingv said:
    How long in the freezer?

about 4 hours
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
    That looks great! I've used compressed freezer spray and then hair dryer treatment before....good-ish results but it was a bit overboard. With the weather as it is I'll whack one in the freezer and then leave it in the conservatory. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    That look great, it's a cracking shade of green and the relic job/wear is nicely subtle.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • scalino65scalino65 Frets: 261
    Hi. I found that if you keep doing it, you end up having some quite cool flaking too! I  put a little show polish on mine, then polished the body. Shoe polish stays in the cracks and makes them show up even more.
    edited July 2017
    With regards to freezing? anyone tried a les paul before? not sure whether there may be some neck movement or not?
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    flyingv said:
    With regards to freezing? anyone tried a les paul before? not sure whether there may be some neck movement or not?
    I used a can of PCB freeze spray for my Goldtop as I don't have access to a freezer large enough to fit a Les Paul in.  Seemed to work out pretty well.
    flyingv said:
    I used a can of PCB freeze spray for my Goldtop as I don't have access to a freezer large enough to fit a Les Paul in.  Seemed to work out pretty well.
    Cool! ( pardon the pun! ) have you any pics @4114Effects ?
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    flyingv said:
    flyingv said:
    Aye ... in the thread here... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/106702/ngd-goldtop-goodness
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I left a Lp in a case and put it in the boot of a car overnight during those lovely freezing cold night's 

Looks alot more realistic to me
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited July 2017
    flyingv said:
    flyingv said:
    flyingv said:
    Aye ... in the thread here... http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/106702/ngd-goldtop-goodness

flyingv said:
    flyingv said:
    Nice ;)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That looks great! 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    I think a lot depends on the brand of nitro. I've used Rothko & Frost nitro twice and always had great results throwing it in the freezer.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1206
    That looks great! I've used compressed freezer spray and then hair dryer treatment before....good-ish results but it was a bit overboard. With the weather as it is I'll whack one in the freezer and then leave it in the conservatory. 
    I tried that on a nitro strat body (compressed air spray).
    However, I ended up with lots of tiny cracks, like the whole thing had shattered into a million pieces.
    It's ok but seems distinctly different from the much straighter, longer cracks that I see on properly old guitars (or well done relics).

Yeah, that's common with the freezer spray technique.  You can see which areas got a bit more focus.

it can occur like that naturally, but still tends to be more consistent when it is.  Acoustic tops with thick lacquer sometimes go like that.  Almost like crazing on pottery.

you get the long cracks with the grain sometimes too.