Netflix vs amazon vs regular TV vs ??? what do you like best?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
I'm pretty bored with regular TV, to be honest I resent having to pay a license fee just to prop up BBC.  I have no experience of Amazon, but my family seems to be full of Netflix junkies, we mostly watch their own created series, although there's plenty of other good series as well. Films are poor, not that many decent ones.

Netflix for the win in our house, but I'd quite like to sign up to a months trial with Amazon.

Any preference?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    I didn't find a huge amount that I wanted to watch on Amazon when I had a free month last year.
    I am enjoying using NowTV though, just to throw another one into the mix. It's basically most things that are on Sky.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I use Amazon and Netflix pretty much equally, plus BBC iPlayer and Channel 4OD on the very rare occasion. Haven't watched 'normal' TV in about five years.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22116
    I got rid of Amazon and Netflix because I found the content tedious. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Amazon is worth it for the other stuff you get with Prime.  It does have some of the same content as Netflix so I wouldn't get it for the TV alone.

I still watch some BBC stuff, and my girls seem to like the cooking programmes on there, but most of the time they watch Netflix or Youtube.  Netflix is good for kids as there are no adverts.  5 years ago we would keep getting bombarded with requests for whatever they had just seen in an ad on Nick Jr.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Amazon is a bit shit but comes with prime.  Compared to Netflix it is like watching an ITV drama compared to the BBC of Netflix. Other than a few flagship series anything good seems to cost (Westworld for example nearly £25 for ).

Netflix has better content and once you are in there are no extra costs, unlike Amazon.  You can also cancel it for a month anytime.

Then there  is Now TV if you need some Sky stuff not available elsewhere.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3065
    Netflix is far superior to Amazon, IMHO.

I get really fed up when I search for something on Amazon, only to see they have it, but then I have to pay extra to view it or "rent it" - on top of the £7.99 monthly fee.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I have Amazon as part of Prime which in all honesty I use for the Free Postage. The TV content is fine for occasional viewing and as I'm not an avid film watcher I will pay extra for the odd movie when it is not covered under Prime. I think Netflix wins out on content (at least from a younger audience). I'm older and still think that neither replace the BBC or even ITV and C4.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    I use them both, I'd say Netflix is better overall for content, but with Amazon you get free delivery & a streaming service for music.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I started off with Amazon, and still have it as part of Prime.

For my taste Netflix is night and day better, and we only turn to Amazon in extreme circumstances now!

Netflix has some amazing original content - high production values, big names etc. and a reasonable range of films.

Amazon seems to have lost its way over the last year or so, and I find the GUI deeply annoying. You have to scroll through too many layers only to find out something is really expensive to watch.

We barely watch live TV anymore, it's all streamed in some way or another - much happier

• CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I use them both, I'd say Netflix is better overall for content, but with Amazon you get free delivery & a streaming service for music.
    Yup.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26988
    I really like torrenting. 

Allegedly.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    My boss bought this USB stick off eBay for about £50 and it gives him access to all kinds of recent films and stuff. He seems to think the legality is somewhat grey and therefore kind of OK, but clearly someone is getting ripped off big time somewhere. Couldn't do it myself.
  • Now TV for me, I have not paid full price for Movies and Entertainment for 2 years now, after every 2 or 3 month deal I go to cancel and get another deal.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    edited June 2017
    Sky Q.
    It is expensive but there is no messing about.
    I can queue things up weeks in advance and I can get F1 and Moto GP.

If I wasn't able to get Sky and had to choose an online service it would be Netflix.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited June 2017
    In no particular order

Amazon - Mr Robot, Bosch, Vikings, The Preacher, Man in the High Castle, American Gods, Black Sails, Lucifer

Netflix - Narcos, OITNB, Expanse, Sense8 (sadly cancelled), Marco Polo (also sadly cancelled), Luke Cage/ Jessica Jones/ Daredevil/ Punisher/ Defenders, True Blood
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Netflix & Amazon Prime user here.  For TV programmes I much prefer Netflix
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Netflix in my house, and if theres a footie match on I fancy watching, I do the Sky Sports day pass for £6.99 which is still a lot cheaper than actually going.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    We've got Now entertainment package and Amazon.

Now isn't that great except for Walking Dead and GoT. I'd get rid of it if we could watch either one as cheaply elsewhere. Blacklist is ok too, but not worth shelling out a lot for. 

Amazon we get "free" with the Prime deal. We watch pretty much the same as @Jalapeno. The non-pay films are mostly shit, although there's an occasional good one like Legend. 
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    We just use Netflix. I have a 3 month NowTV voucher waiting for GoT and may buy another one when Westworld comes on again.
    Don't miss sky at all. I hardly watch any TV these days, other than a quick binge watch of a series and Mock the week and have I got news for you on iPlayer