Cable Question

Let me see if I can explain this.

I have a temple audio pedal board with 4 stereo patch bay. Can I use only one of these for a send and return for my amp fx loop? Maybe with a stereo y cable?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Much depends upon the facilities of your chosen amplifier. Since you have omitted to name this, it is impossible to answer your question.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 724
    It's a wizard mc25

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Yes, get 2 Stereo Y Cables, it should work.
    Yes, get 2 Stereo Y Cables, it should work.
    I would still be using two of my jacks on my patch bay that way
    Ah get you!!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I don't see why it wouldn't work if you have a Y-cable between the board and the amp, and another between the patchbay and the pedals. You're just running two signals through the same connector, and the ground is common at both amp and pedal ends anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28197
    Though make sure the cores are individually shielded if you're running lots of gain - you can get crosstalk otherwise.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Sporky said:
    Though make sure the cores are individually shielded if you're running lots of gain - you can get crosstalk otherwise.
    True, but if it's for an amp FX loop there won't be a lot of gain, since you shouldn't be putting overdrive/distortion/fuzz things in the FX loop.

There are still a few amps that use TRS jacks on the amp for the loop...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SporkySporky Frets: 28197
    It is unlikely, I don't deny that.

Worst I have encountered was a headset that had an unbalanced dynamic mic capsule sharing a common shield with the headphones - it was impossible to get it to work without phase reversing one earphone. That is a much, much bigger difference in signal level though.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."