How Musical is your Family?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    My mother plays the flute occasionally, and my dad's been gigging since he was in his teens (plays bass, guitar and sings). I play guitar (obviously), and my first gig was with him. The next brother down plays drums in my band, and the brother down from him plays guitar, bass, drums, keyboard and pretty much anything else he can lay his hands on.

In fact, my sister is the only one in my direct family who doesn't play an instrument. My cousin is a drummer...and outside that, pretty much nobody in the extended family does anything musical.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    My parents were musical enough to get me and my brother (drummer) started.

I'm doing my best to pass it on and increase it.  Marrying a fiddle player was a good start.  Constantly beat-boxing and singing at my kids in their formative years was another good decision.  I now have a 6-year old Ringo in the making, and his two-year old sister can throw some serious shapes when I put "Breakdance Party" on Spotify.  
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    My mother plays the flute occasionally.
    Phnaar Phnaar. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited June 2017
    My mum was a music teacher and singer.

My brother is a very talented pianist/keys player. He won Young Daily Telegraph jazz performer, and composer of the year as a kid. Then he did a degree in Jazz. After that he was the musical director of the Blues Brothers show and toured UK and Europe with them for a couple of years. Then went to Berklee to do a masters in jazz composition. 16 or 17 years later, he's still there.

Here's a clip of his band doing a function in Boston. Check out the solo at around 3 minutes, brill. I am a proud older brother for sure. I think he's awesome

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Snap said:
    Then went to Berklee to do a masters in jazz composition. 16 or 17 years later, he's still there.

Awesome! How many times do they let you try and get it?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10693

Snap said:

That is excellent!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    My dad and my uncle/cousins are the reason I picked up the guitar.  My dad used to play in bands/pubs but since he's been sober he doesn't really anymore.  My uncle played in a little duo until he passed away some 15 years ago.  

One of my cousins is the guitarist in a band Art Brut and my other cousin was the lead singer in Stiltskin and had a number 1 with the song "Inside" and did joined Genesis in the late 90's/early 2000's and did an album called "Calling all stations" 

So I guess quite musical?  Nobody on my mums side plays any instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    No-one really musical.  But my grandads brother was a blind piano tuner, so my grandad drove him around and did the repairs. He could play pretty well, but rarely performed.   

The house always smelled of hide glue and he even built a tenor guitar.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
     Arktik83 said:

One of my cousins is the guitarist in a band Art Brut and my other cousin was the lead singer in Stiltskin and had a number 1 with the song "Inside" and did joined Genesis in the late 90's/early 2000's and did an album called "Calling all stations" 
    So your cousin was the man who killed Genesis?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
     Arktik83 said:

So your cousin was the man who killed Genesis?
    Bingo!  

He's a bit of an uppity sod tbh, think the fame has gone to his head even though that album was a shocker.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    None of my immediate family are musical, my aunt/uncle on mum's side play a bit of guitar. It was actually my uncle that gave me his nylon classical one to start with. My cousins on the same side play a bit too but that's about it.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9615
    edited June 2017
    Another "not at all" - my parents didn't even have a decent record collection. Well, not strictly true, but they didn't have the cool stuff from the 60s I thought people their generation would have - my dad liked folk music and my mum likes opera and classical mainly. My sister went through the grades on piano and some harp but I never wanted piano lessons, I just wanted to be outside, playing football and riding my bike. I can't think of anybody in the wider family either, apart from my uncle, who could play guitar very well in his late teens and twenties.

Oh - I forgot, my second cousin plays drums in a reggae band in Brighton!
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2237
    One grandad played piano and the other sang,. Both parents played piano, mum still plays a bit.my brother played guitar and keyboards, I inherited his acoustic guitar.

My wife can play basic guitar chords. My sons and daughter can all play drums and keys but don't. Youngest son has dabbled in bands but nothing serious.

My daughter's boyfriend and my niece's husband can play basic guitar cowboy chords etc said niece is an am dram singer. Their eldest daughter is learning guitar.

Brother in law is a amateur. folk singer does open mic nights.I think he plays the squeezebox, other brother in law can play guitar.a bit,

Nobody has done it for a living but as a hobby.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    Arktik83 said:

my other cousin was the lead singer in Stiltskin and had a number 1 with the song "Inside" and did joined Genesis in the late 90's/early 2000's and did an album called "Calling all stations"
    I would definitely keep very quiet about that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Arktik83 said:

my other cousin was the lead singer in Stiltskin and had a number 1 with the song "Inside" and did joined Genesis in the late 90's/early 2000's and did an album called "Calling all stations"
    I would definitely keep very quiet about that :).
    Yeah, it's not really something you could "dine out on"!  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    Nothing in my parents or grandparents generation.

But both of my kids are. Clarinet and Saxophone. So I suppose I started it.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    ICBM said:
    Arktik83 said:

I would definitely keep very quiet about that .
    Are you kidding? I bloody loved the Stiltskin album! In fact, I think I'll go and dig it out tomorrow...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • maidenfanmaidenfan Frets: 197
    Arktik83 said:
    My dad and my uncle/cousins are the reason I picked up the guitar.  My dad used to play in bands/pubs but since he's been sober he doesn't really anymore.  My uncle played in a little duo until he passed away some 15 years ago.  

So I guess quite musical?  Nobody on my mums side plays any instrument.
    I remember Stiltskin, the singer came from Dumfries
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:
    my dad and brother are both guitarists, and my uncle is a pro baroque flautist and was a lecturer at the Guild Hall, Trinity College and the Royal Academy of Music..
    interestingly, I only met them for the first time a few years ago
    until I'd met them I'd assumed that I was the only musician in the family
    forgot to mention…
    the year before last I went to Queensland, Oz to meet my dad, lil' bro and step-mum for the first time..
    I took and acoustic with me…

my dad loves blues, Latin and jazz..
    spent an evening jamming with him..
    it was absolutely fkn totally awesome..

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMoneyBigMoney Frets: 7
    boogieman said:
    Okay, this has raised my curiosity - the OP has asked the same question ( word for word) on TDPRI ( I thought I'd check TGP as well but can't get that to work for some reason)but on there he originates from Canada and on here England.
    If it's trolling or spamming it's a very mild form and it seems a perfectly valid question for music forums but it also seems a little bit odd. @BigMoney  :grey_question: 
    Does the profile have a default setting to England if you don't change it? 
    Possibly. If you look at his introduce yourself thread, he does says he's in Canada. 
    Okay, I'll call my interest satiated then :smile: 
    haha. A very mild form of spamming/trolling. It's true. I did make this post on TDPRI as well. I don't think of myself as spamming though. I'm involved in a few forums presently and I'm just trying to engage with the members. Why not use the same topics? Unless I'm plagiarizing myself lmao. I'm surprised somebody noticed. @EricTheWeary if you'd like more explanation feel free to message me.

Yes I am from Canada. Maybe I can find a way to remove England. Then again I don't think it's a big deal. Cheers fellas
    The 3 elements of western music are: melody, harmony, and rhythm. In my fingerstyle arrangements, I play them all at once. Check them out here