Home Air Con

What's Hot
ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
Anybody use anything and any recommendations?
I'm on the verge of moving into the car.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    ennspek said:
    Anybody use anything and any recommendations?
    On a night like this........
    Pink Floyd, maybe a bit of Alan Parsons ?
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Dont waste your money, domestic systems are crap and the heat wont last long anyhow.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    I got a portable one about twelve years ago. Bloody noisy but it works. Can't use it now because Sprocket wants to roam the house at night.

I spent a grand and a half on a proper split unit for the workshop which is ace. Very quiet, massive cooling power and it also heats more efficiently than a heater so it's not just for hot days. £75 a year in servicing. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited June 2017
    Oops. Double post.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Can I stay in your workshop @Sporky ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    No. There's already three of us sleeping in there.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    My sleeping pattern has shifted to between 3-6am... 

Any earlier than that I just dont bother atm. 

Fully bollocks aint it. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    spark240 said:
    Dont waste your money, domestic systems are crap and the heat wont last long anyhow.
    Sorry mate but you're wrong. My bedroom is air conditioned and at this time of year I love being cool. And the unit is 20 years old.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    the portable ones are great…
    play every note as if it were your first
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited June 2017
    Got one of these last year. I works really well by simply hanging the extraction pipe out of the bedroom window. And it's reasonably portable, unlike the previous one we had which was insanely heavy.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/8000-btu-air-conditioner---white-254815

It's not a competition.
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    edited June 2017
    If you can bear up for another day or two, room temperatures should return to normal for this time of the year.

You can check the AMCOR range of portable home AC units.

B&Q sold some AMCOR models  a year ago, and you can check Amazon for the venting kits..

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/sf8000e/amcor-sf8000e

Read the Customer Reviews, especially for the noise levels.

These AC units have an "exhaust" vent hose which pushes warm air out through a window, or a hole in a wall (you will have to create an opening hole in a window for the hose).

Be advised that some other models require a tray to be filled with ice.

At work, the company hired some portable AC units made by DiET, after the chiller broke down. I'm not sure if they are the same models as this:-

http://cpc.farnell.com/airconditioningcentre/diet-22i/evaporative-cooler-22i/dp/HG00729?mckv=saMynMYZi_dc|pcrid|72935622857|kword||match||plid||pid|HG00729|&CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-SHOPPING-AIRCONDITIONINGCENTRE-Air_Management-HG00729

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    ennspek said:
    I had my car's AC charged up this morning -- meant to do it last year.  Wow, what a difference!  Lovely.
    Had to do London-Bournemouth-London a bit later -- super cool as a cucumber.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824
    Not really air conditioners, but has anyone tried the various Dyson fans/heaters/air purifiers?

I've spent a while looking at their website but I really can't understand the differences between them.  And I'm not sure if any of them actually lower the air temperature or if they're basically just glorified fans.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Not really air conditioners, but has anyone tried the various Dyson fans/heaters/air purifiers?

I've spent a while looking at their website but I really can't understand the differences between them.  And I'm not sure if any of them actually lower the air temperature or if they're basically just glorified fans.

My parents got a couple. They're glorified fans that can be heaters (which is why we got them). They are not air conditioning. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I bought a cheap thing years ago when the kids were young and whingy. Its a glorified fan that blows through a belt of cloth that revolves onto an iced water tray. It is quite effective for an hour or three but of course increases humidity in the room over time. It is used probably every third year for a couple of nights, other than that it's a lump to store. I has the ability to be just a fan and an electric fan heater too so it might have uses should the boiler die.

Not this but similar.
    https://www.rapidonline.com/Sealey-SAC41-Air-Cooler-Heater-Air-Purifier-Humidifier-89-5202?IncVat=1&pdg=kwd-285936623217:cmp-757438067:adg-42338105440:crv-178952908744:pid-89-5202&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5Zfv24nR1AIVkKntCh25PQDSEAQYBSABEgKQYvD_BwE

The advantage is no hoses and you can leave the windows open for any movement of air.

• RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Why is the air quality so lousy in air conditioned shopping centres? Do the add something to the air to make people feel half asleep within three minutes of entering?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22824
    Philly_Q said:

My parents got a couple. They're glorified fans that can be heaters (which is why we got them). They are not air conditioning. 
    Thanks!  I was reading some of the customer reviews after I posted and it became clear they don't really cool anything.  That's saved me a few hundred quid....
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    Rocker said:
    Why is the air quality so lousy in air conditioned shopping centres?
    The air con units probably have really cheap kettle leads.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Dyson AM06 out for delivery today, it's only a fan but meant to be good and important for me, quiet. 

Will report back back when I have tested it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4632
    I have an air on unit from B&Q I get years ago.
    I know it's been Humid but it needs emptying of water every couple of hours