Ground loop hum with El Cap and Alter Ego?!!!

What's Hot
gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
edited June 2017 in FX
I have a massive ground loop hum when these pedals are connected to each other and both turned off. They are both set to true by pass and both have their own isolated power output on a Pedal Power Plus. Turning either or both of he pedals on makes the hum dissapear

Will making one of the pedals buffered bypass help? Or perhaps ganging both pedals into the same isolated power output?

any help most welcome!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

You don't have an earth loop, you have a disconnected earth somehow. I suggest trying a link between each pedal's metalwork.

Dave.

• ecc83 said:

You don't have an earth loop, you have a disconnected earth somehow. I suggest trying a link between each pedal's metalwork.

Dave.

Yup you were right. Somehow managed to solder a patch lead up back to front :') he kids don't drink wine and and solder. Somehow it was still passing signal, probably because the El Cap can take a TRS or something like that. Anyway thanks for the help!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    edited June 2017

Don't drink, eat, smoke ANYTHING and solder! Even with Pbfree the flux crap'll kill ya!

Forgot (only one cup o Joe so far) IF you are making up your own cables people, TEST them with a meter FIRST!

In this case chap just got HUM. In other circumstances there could be a bang, smoke or even shocks!

We ALL get it wrong sometimes. "Measure thrice. Cut once"

Dave.