Sell me a "workshop" amp... (Sell me your old iPhone please)

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
edited June 2017 in Guitar
So, I'm looking for a little workshop amp that can be kept in a "shed", fairly cheap obviously.

It needs two functions, an inbuilt tuner, and output. The quality of the tuner is more important, all I need in terms of output is for checking pickups after wiring etc, so the quality of the tones isn't that important.

Really small footprint would be ideal, like as small as possible.

Ideally if it exists I'd want something like a Boss TU with an inbuilt speaker and amp sim. Like I say, the quality of the tuner is more important, so I don't really want the tuner to be a basic red light/green light type thing or a yes/no, a dial or something that tells you how far you are out is preferred.

Thanks.

I know I could just get a TU and a Blackstar ID battery powered thing - but if I can help it, I'd rather just get the two in one, so I don't have to change cables about etc - I'd just leave a cable plugged into it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    If you have a smart phone just use an app for the tuner and whatever small amp you want.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Get a Petersen pedal and a Roland Micro Cube
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    Jalapeno said:
    This.

But a Sonic Research tuner instead.

;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Peterson for the win on accuracy and display and any toy practice amp from crash converters for £12.37 (no more and no less mind)!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    edited June 2017
    Jalapeno said:
    If you get the Micro Cube GX you don't need the tuner… although admittedly it's just a 3-light one. Any tuner in an amp will be I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Do you get 2nd & 3rd harmonics with the Micro Cube GX ? :/
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:
    Do you get 2nd & 3rd harmonics with the Micro Cube GX ? :/
    Why do you need 2nd and 3rd harmonics?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited June 2017
    The placement of the tuner on the Micro Cube is naff though, I don't want the amp on the ground beneath me, I want it in front of me on my desk/workbench.

I guess I could lay it on it's front...
    Jack_ said:
    The placement of the tuner on the Micro Cube is naff though, I don't want the amp on the ground beneath me, I want it in front of me on my desk/workbench.

I guess I could lay it on it's front…
    Line 6 Spider 15 or Peavey Vypyr 1. These have the tuner on the front, although I can't remember how good a tuner they are...

It's actually getting quite hard to find any small amp with the controls on the front these days now the fashion has gone back to top-mounting.

edited June 2017
    I know it's a bit niche, but I've seen brands attempt to fill smaller niches; I'm surprised that someone out there hasn't come up with an ideal solution for this - ideally I'd want something the size of one of those tiny battery powered Marshall micro amp things, with a small dial on the front somewhere with a tuner.

Those Vox amplug things are tiny, so it's clearly possible to make something the size of a large pedal that does everything I'm asking for.

Vypyr and Spider both look a bit bigger than I was looking for - space is at a premium, and being able to easily move it around is ideal.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Yamaha thr 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Can I stick a Vox Amplug into the output of a Boss TU? Would that work?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Jack_ said:

Yes but there is no speaker in those. 

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The best option is a Sonic Research/Peterson Strobe tuner and a Fly 3
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Jack_ said:

I guess I could lay it on it's front…
    Line 6 Spider 15 or Peavey Vypyr 1. These have the tuner on the front, although I can't remember how good a tuner they are...

It's actually getting quite hard to find any small amp with the controls on the front these days now the fashion has gone back to top-mounting.
    I have a 15 year old Crate 15R - actually sounds okay - controls on front - just run a Korg DT12 in front of it - worked for me all this time
    ICBM said:
    That looks suitably tiny -  I think that might be my best option.
    Jack_ said:

What do you mean? The Vox Amplug's have output right? You just stick them straight into your input jack and they give you a sound? So stuck into a TU...
    guitars4you said:

I have a 15 year old Crate 15R - actually sounds okay - controls on front - just run a Korg DT12 in front of it - worked for me all this time
    Some of the more modern Crates do have built-in tuners, but even though they have front-mounted controls, the tuner is in the top! I'm pretty sure the smallest models don't have it either.

Jack_ said:
    Jack_ said:

What do you mean? The Vox Amplug's have output right? You just stick them straight into your input jack and they give you a sound? So stuck into a TU...
    Nevermind, I see now they are a headphone out.

Is there something equally small that does have a speaker? Or is something the size of the Micro Crush the best I'm going to get with a speaker?