Family member Hanged for being a Witch by Witchfinder General .

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16095
Over the last 5 years before her passing my mother did a massive amount of family tree research.Her family are a very old N.E Essex /Suffolk family that lived predominantly in the Town of Manningtree and Village of Ramsey and their graves/parish records go back centuries .
 It turns out that an antecedant grandmother was "The widow Elizabeth Gooding of Manningtree " .She was the 4th Victim of the evil Witchfinder General ;Mathew Hopkin and was convicted during the Civil War at the specially convened Chelmsford Assizes.
 Although her supposed crime was consorting with the Devil and Suckling an Imp ;trumped -up of course she was also charged with wishing the death of two oxen having made confession to Hopkin under torture and "watching "
 Hopkin was self appointed as Witchfinder General and responsible for the execution of 400 men and women in 3 years -not only did he charge parish councils huge fees but assumed responsibility for the disposal of the Estate of the executed which he swindled.He picked on spinsters,maiden aunts and widows as they were easy prey with no or little family to fight their cause.
 We were Goodings on my mother's side until approx 100 years ago.
This was in the 1640s .......wow ,what a terrible world it must have been.
1reaction image LOL 22reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    Wow.  That's spooky.  Today I was in a doctor's surgery in a village near Cheltenham that is centuries old.  The whole village is straight out of the history books.  Anyway - I had cause to be shown around the building and it's all wattle and daub walls, two feet thick, huge old beams, low ceilings (people were shorter back then apparently), and as I'm ducking my way along one of the internal corridors I spot this....   It's the builder's initials hand-carved into one of the roof beams...

The date is 1637.

I ran my fingers over the letters and wondered who carved them, what they were like, what their life was like when Charles I was on the throne.  Whoever carved out their initials with a chisel on this very beam at this exact spot where I was standing was from another planet almost.  A world so unlike ours that it may as well be.  They are gone now.... long long gone, yet the man's carving is still there - I ran my fingers over it and felt a connection somehow through the centuries.  I doubt he would have thought for a second as he carved out the little serifs on the 'H' that in 380 years time, his work would still be there and a stranger from the future would be looking at it and wondering who he was.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    1reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    Emp_Fab said:
    Wow.  That's spooky.  Today I was in a doctor's surgery in a village near Cheltenham that is centuries old.  The whole village is straight out of the history books.  Anyway - I had cause to be shown around the building and it's all wattle and daub walls, two feet thick, huge old beams, low ceilings (people were shorter back then apparently), and as I'm ducking my way along one of the internal corridors I spot this....   It's the builder's initials hand-carved into one of the roof beams...

The date is 1637.

I ran my fingers over the letters and wondered who carved them, what they were like, what their life was like when Charles I was on the throne.  Whoever carved out their initials with a chisel on this very beam at this exact spot where I was standing was from another planet almost.  A world so unlike ours that it may as well be.  They are gone now.... long long gone, yet the man's carving is still there - I ran my fingers over it and felt a connection somehow through the centuries.  I doubt he would have thought for a second as he carved out the little serifs on the 'H' that in 380 years time, his work would still be there and a stranger from the future would be looking at it and wondering who he was.

J R Hartley by the looks of it. 

@Dominic must be fascinating to know that much about your ancestors. I was actually watching the Witchfinder  General film on the Horror channel the other night. Sure it's a pretty hokey and very dated film but the story behind it is grim stuff when you realise it's all real. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Prob a couple of young immigrant lads leaving drop off instructions for their mates...
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    Could you give the Witch Finder General my mother-in-law's address please?
    21reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Very interesting. Goes to show that charlatans using the cover of justice have always existed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

"Suckling an Imp" ?

She sounds like my kind of gal.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28173
    You should track down the witchfinder's descendants and demand reparations.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    Thread title reads like a Daily Mail headline
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    strtdv said:
    "Witchfinder General found on Moon"
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    It was meant to .........in a tongue in cheek way but at least I didn't tell you how much my Ancestors house was worth or that she had a Lesbian cousin who was actually nothing to do with the story !
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1620

"Suckling an Imp" ?

She sounds like my kind of gal.

Is it still illegal? 

Asking for a friend

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    strtdv said:
    "Witchfinder General found on Moon"
    That is more Sunday Sport together with a photo of a naked witch 
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Dominic said:
    It was meant to .........in a tongue in cheek way but at least I didn't tell you how much my Ancestors house was worth or that she had a Lesbian cousin who was actually nothing to do with the story !
    I took the title to mean it was recent... 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    I listen to Witchfinder General a lot.

Myranda said:
    Dominic said:
    I took the title to mean it was recent... 
    No, we haven't had a witch- burning around these parts for months 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MickMick Frets: 98
    Dominic said:

We were Goodings on my mother's side until approx 100 years ago.
    This was in the 1640s .......wow ,what a terrible world it must have been.
    Used to go to school with a Gooding, at Manningtree High school. 
    Wow, must be some very distant relative ......it's not an especially common name and Manningtree / Mistley is a small area 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    I went to school with a guy called Dave Gooding. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    I used to watch The Goodies.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    What a great opportunity to post this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaUkt59vY1Q

A modern version...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom