Brexit - One year on.

What's Hot
How's that working out for you? I don't think that I've noticed a difference either way; however, I'm sure that there are some that have benefitted and some that have lost out.

What is your take on it?
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Well life has just been reduced to ruin. All the money has gone. The council took away all the swings at the local park, and there isn't a single bottle of wine left on the shelves. It's like something out of 28 Days Later!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You're like something out of 28 Days Later. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    28 days later than what?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Criminal austerity measures have hit us quite hard, the decision to exit the EU hasn't yet. I suspect it'll start to have consequences a few years from now.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    My life hasn't changed and nothing here has changed either.  Thanks for checking up on us Chris mate. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Hard to separate the effects of several years of austerity from Brexit in some circles.  I work at a research institute, and our core funding took a hit in the latest round of grant announcements (which cover the next 3-5 years).  As a result of this, restructuring and a round of redundancies were announced a few months back.  I've taken the option of voluntary redundancy, and will be leaving in about 6 weeks.  Can't lay this at the feet of Brexit per se, but publicly-funded science has generally involved a fair amount of pan-European collaboration, with money coming from multiple sources, including the EU.  There has been a noticeable shift in the attitudes of some European research partners due to Brexit uncertainties, and we're only just starting to see the affects of this at the coalface.  On top of the public sector pay freeze, things don't look too rosy for us.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    28 days later than what?

That's beautiful wallpaper in your avatar. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    28 days later than what?

That's beautiful wallpaper in your avatar. 
    Yeah, butterflies. Appeals to my feminine side.

Or some shit like that, anyway
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The extra expense caused by the fall in the pound is hitting the shelves now but there was some talk of the pound being too strong before so maybe that would have happened anyway to some degree.
    The germans must be realising that they are soon to be the sole debt holders for Europe (although they have sold product to them so have the cash). We for our part should find our share of this bill and be out of that pit withing the next two years. Then the whole thing will grind on with us watching and hoping they don't shoot themselves in the foot and take us down too.
    Interesting times and I still believe in the short term we will regret it, however for the younger generation it will probably be a good thing, i just hope to be alive to see that.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    The biggest thing I've noticed that there are now three people vying for most dumbass Prime minister ever, Blair, Cameron and May.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Working for a company that imports probably 75% of our product from mainland Europe the fall in sterling has affected us big time and not in a good way.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

I don't see anything different to a year ago, really.

Someone will now pedantically give a long list of names and jobs they gained or lost, but as far as I'm concerned life goes on pretty much as it did.  Doesn't yet mean much to me.

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Did I miss something? Like the 2 years it will take to actually Brexit from this Breurope (I understand portmanteau ... don't I?)...

We're not a year on from anything yet... a few more people decided to leave than those who decided to stay about a year ago... but we have to actually do the leaving before you can post about things not changing a year on... Nothing was meant to have changed by now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I ran a Brexit meeting this morning with Peter Lilley the ex-MP for Hitchin and Harpenden this morning - an interesting guy. Ex-City bank director, was a minister in the Thatcher and Major government's and is an ardent Brexiteer. He is an expert on the machinations ahead.

Let me know if you want to hear more .. you might be surprised.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Fretwired said:
    I ran a Brexit meeting this morning with Peter Lilley the ex-MP for Hitchin and Harpenden this morning - an interesting guy. Ex-City bank director, was a minister in the Thatcher and Major government's and is an ardent Brexiteer. He is an expert on the machinations ahead.

Spill the hot goss
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    Fretwired said:

Do tell !
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Oh and as well as losing her job with the council due to the criminal austerity measures (can't have adults learning things on the cheap, after all), it appears she'll have to now register as a foreign and be given ooooh 5 years residency rights despite having been here for 18 years.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    my Blood Pressure has gone up...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    gubble said:

Working for a company that imports probably 75% of our product from mainland Europe the fall in sterling has affected us big time and not in a good way.

Same here. We have manufacturing bases in Germany, Italy and the US.

Still it's lovely to be living in a golden age of sovereignty, and the weather's been rather nice of late.

• HoofHoof Frets: 491
    Our former chairman blamed the closure of our store on Brexit in January. Even though we found out it had been asset-stripped and planned for a few years along with a few others because we were holding down the growth figures and they were looking for foreign investment. They just had to wait until the new stores that replaced us were ready to open. 

It will affect some things but many other negative things will be attributed to it to defect blame from the incompetency or greed of those truly responsible.