Wiring help please

What's Hot
Due to an intermittent fault on my neck pickup I decided to completely rewire my PRS SE singlecut.  Nothing complicated just two humbuckers, volume and tone with a push/pull on the tone pot to split the bridge pickup.

Everything works but I've now got a lot of noise and the only thing that reduces it is touching the plate around the jack socket.  I'm assuming it's a grounding issue but I can't see that there are any problems.  Everything that should be grounded has been.  I've even double checked that the ground wire to the bridge is okay by running a wire from the front of the bridge to the back of the volume pot and I've checked that it's the guitar not the amp. 

It may not be related but the usable range on my volume pot has decreased as well.  It use to be fairly smooth across the range but below 6 and it's almost off now.

I'm at a bit of a loss here.  I can solder well enough but I can only follow diagrams - I've no idea what I'm actually doing.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72327
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like you've wired the jack the wrong way round. Does the noise actually get louder when you touch the strings? If so, it's that.

Did you use a Log pot, when the old one was Linear? That would explain a much steeper roll-off. If so you can cheat by adding a resistor to the control, rather than having to replace it again - best done with a cap as well to even out the treble response.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    It's the same pot so no change there. 

I'll have a look at the jack.  I didn't unsolder the jack end of things be it could be that I've mixed up the live and ground leads.  I'll report back...
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    You probably get tired of hearing this but you are a genius!  I had serious doubts about whether anyone would be able to diagnose the problem sight unseen.  Have a wisdom.

All noise gone.  The pot's still playing up but I'm not a huge volume knob tweaker so it's not a huge problem and can be sorted at a later date (probably when I get 'round to swapping out the irongears for some Guitar Weasel's offerings).