Santana sound pick-ups ?

What's Hot
Hello, I`m really keen to get the Santana sound on my PRS SE Semi hollow, with appropriate effects and amp settings ( if that`s possible on this ) but am not sure which after-market pick-ups to buy ( SD`s . Di Marzio`s etc. Iron Gear would be good at their price ). Has anyone any experience of finding a good set for the right sound please ? ( the PRS ones are far too expensive for me ). Many thanks for any suggestions,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Bring the rough specs to any winder and they can make you a similar set for a lower price than the PRS ones.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Hi
     that Santana sound is really very much a combination of how he plays what he plays and what he plays through and with.

also which era Santana sound as it has evolved a lot over the years but it still sounds like Santana.

in my mind forget makes most decent PAF style humbuckers will get you in the zone. If you can find PRS Se245 pickups cheap where somebody is upgrading they will do the job.
    just avoid the overwound ceramic magnet stuff you want something in the 7-8k range not 12 or 16k style.

the rest is down to you

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    It's not really to do with the pickup - it's the very compressed midrangy overdrive tone... Boogie Mark Series amp with or without a Tube Screamer in front, and the guitar tone control rolled down. Almost any pickup will work - I even saw a guy nail the 'Smooth' tone using a USA Strat once - with a TS and a Boogie Mk1 reissue. The rest is down to how you play.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    edited June 2017
    I can make a passable stab at that Santana/Hackett/Rothery tone on my PRS SE Semihollow. I installed Duncan SH-PR-1n and SH-PR-2 P-Rails pickups via Triple Shot mounting surrounds. Through an overdriven valve amplifier both the "series" and "P90" modes sing.

You do not have to get the same pickup set and circuitry as I did. I chose it in order to get as many worthwhile tones from one semi solid guitar as possible. There are simpler and cheaper ways to get most of the options I have at my disposal. Much depends upon how confident you are in your soldering skills.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
    ICBM said:
    It's not really to do with the pickup - it's the very compressed midrangy overdrive tone... Boogie Mark Series amp with or without a Tube Screamer in front, and the guitar tone control rolled down. Almost any pickup will work - I even saw a guy nail the 'Smooth' tone using a USA Strat once - with a TS and a Boogie Mk1 reissue. The rest is down to how you play.
    I'd also suggest it's in his magical fingers! 
  • wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
    PS - and the amp settings too 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Hello, I`m really keen to get the Santana sound on my PRS SE Semi hollow, with appropriate effects and amp settings ( if that`s possible on this ) but am not sure which after-market pick-ups to buy ( SD`s . Di Marzio`s etc. Iron Gear would be good at their price ). Has anyone any experience of finding a good set for the right sound please ? ( the PRS ones are far too expensive for me ). Many thanks for any suggestions,
    Seeing this reminded me of the Sound Like (famous guitarist) Without Busting The Bank blogs that Andertons did last year. Lo and behold, they did Santana on a budget:

https://blog.andertons.co.uk/guitars/sound-like-carlos-santana-without-busting-bank

So how close to THE sound do the Andertons guys get to satisfy a Santana devotee? I'm not really familiar enough with his work to be able to judge.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Just turn the mids up and then play too much.
    Done.

;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    impmann said:
    Just turn the mids up and then play too much.
    Done.

;-)
    Harsh but probably should be 

Just turn up the mids and play too much & repeating the same lines for 45 years
    That said most of his stuff over the years does not send me running from the room. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Jez6345789 said:
     most of his stuff over the years does not send me running from the room. 
    Carlos is not noted for avoiding the occasional 'room.  ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • All those comments are extremely helpful, so thanks all of you and  sorry for the delay in replying . I have got somewhere close using 2 OD pedals in series ( Tube Screamer copy + Boss Blues OD both with gain at about 4 ) with tone turned down considerably( through Blackstar HT 5R ). I was specifically asking about any pick-ups that might help in my quest but it`s all useful stuff.  Many thanks. I`ll have a look for those SE 245 p/ups and maybe the SD set mentioned.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
    More to the point, can someone get onto Carlos Santana and show him how to get a different sound. Please.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom