H/S/S Pickup sets

What's Hot
DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
edited June 2017 in Guitar
Considering getting a new pickguard for my Ibanez RG550 and converting it to HSS. I've never had a guitar with this set up before, what are some good balanced sets? Preferably dimarzio.

I think I want true single coils because I don't see the point in paying to convert to a single coil from a Humbucker and then putting a Humbucker back in.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    It might be worth considering noise-cancelling "singles". How deep are the pickup cavities? 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    edited June 2017
    I'm not sure but I did have a Dimarzio Area pickup years ago and I just thought it sounded really dead. I've never tried a stacked single coil again after that. What are some good ones?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Why more pickup manufacturers don't sell HSS sets is beyond me. I have a whole product page dedicated to them.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited June 2017
    My Ibanez has dimarzio injectors in neck & bridge and an area 67 in the middle. I really like it. (Paul Gilbert set in a fireman). 
    All single coils, but hum cancelling & can really handle gain. 
    They're quite P90ish in their response to the pots too- filthy to clean by dialling back the volume. 

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    I did a hss mojo set, it was a split coil paf and 2 60's singles 
    I also did a seperate vol for the paf to balance it with the singles
    I really liked this set up

I know it's not dimarzio but the principles the same

Well recommended 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    Am I able to take out the neck Humbucker, then move the middle pickup and mount it in the neck Humbucker hole just to see what it sounds like? Or will a single not go on to a Humbucker pickguard route?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    DefaultM said:
    Am I able to take out the neck Humbucker, then move the middle pickup and mount it in the neck Humbucker hole just to see what it sounds like? Or will a single not go on to a Humbucker pickguard route?
    Should do......I think. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I'll be making a strat with the Andy Timmons set in it. Dimarzio AT1 and a few Cruisers.

Outstanding pickups!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I have a HS3 and HS2 in guitars, both are really nice "stratty" single coils. The -3 I've wired so as the second coil can be switched in/out which does alter the sound a bit (more mid, less treble, or vice versa).
    Both work well with a Alnico 5 bridge 'bucker.
    Also both sound good clean and driven.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Do you put the hs3 in the neck and the 2 in the middle? I had that set up before but I only had a Fender twin to play through so didn't really get to hear them under gain.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10386
    edited June 2017 tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    Why more pickup manufacturers don't sell HSS sets is beyond me. I have a whole product page dedicated to them.
    Agreed ... from day one I have done a good trade in HSS and HSH sets ... all of my humbucker range can be mixed and matched with my single coils ... the only issues being that many HSH sets require triangular mounting feet ... and so get baseplates matched to the customer's requirements.

A set under production at the moment
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

I sort of want to put a traditional Humbucker and 2 typical strat single coils in it, but it's a basswood superstrat and I can't decide if it will sound shit.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Nope, it won't. I used to have a RG560 basswood; H/S/S and it was excellent with everything 
    I put in it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Its the RG560 that I really want, but I'd probably pay £350 to £400 whereas the opinion of everyone selling at the minute seems to be at least £600.
  • JiJoeJiJoe Frets: 6
    Dimarzio Transition - I've got a set in a HSS Luke 3. Must surely be available as an after market set now. 
    I can find the humbuckers but not the single coils for sale after market. Do the singles have a different name?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    Alegree said:
    Agreed ... from day one I have done a good trade in HSS and HSH sets ... all of my humbucker range can be mixed and matched with my single coils ... the only issues being that many HSH sets require triangular mounting feet ... and so get baseplates matched to the customer's requirements.

A set under production at the moment
    @TheGuitarWeasel are those HBs white under the wrapping? If so I'd be very interested in a white A2 Nightfighter to go with my Stonetone neck and middle ;) 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    If it was me I'd put a HS2 in the neck and middle with an Air Norton in the bridge. They sounded fantastic in my strat and silo. 
    I've not tried the air norton as a bridge pickup. I had one in the neck of this guitar and it was awesome though. 
    I've heard good things about the Norton as well. 
  • JiJoeJiJoe Frets: 6
    DefaultM said:
    I can find the humbuckers but not the single coils for sale after market. Do the singles have a different name?
    Ah right - yes, makes some sense I guess. There will be a bigger market for the HH I guess. Sorry for the curve ball