marshall valvestate head with hum

What's Hot
nickpnickp Frets: 183
what are your thoughts on this?  aviod or go with it.  use: my backup amp but my son is also now going to use it and he do like his metal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191066276890?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

just slightly concerned about the hum.  

cheers

Nick
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    I had a VS100r combo years back, and it certainly didnt noticibly hum 

Was bloody brilliant at picking up radio signals tho.
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I would look for a good one... which you'll get for not a lot more than that.

That one has at least two faults as well as being badly re-covered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    @icbm

ok boss!  I'm doing what I been told and ignoring it

cheers
    very good @bertie :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    Is that the amp that has a wee fan on the power chip that clogs up with ***t and then destroys the IC? 

Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    edited February 2014
    ecc83 said:
    Is that the amp that has a wee fan on the power chip that clogs up with ***t and then destroys the IC? 

No, that's the larger models in the MG-DFX series (especially the MG100DFX) and the AVT series (AVT50 and above). Just avoid those entirely!

The earlier Valvestates (8*** series and VS series) and even the first MG series are much better-designed and more reliable, although they are getting old now and can have a few problems - reverb, failing ICs, filter caps, unsoldered power resistors, broken pots etc. They're so cheap and fairly common that it isn't worth paying too much for one that has known work needed.

The current MG series has gone back to the previous discrete-component power stage design and seems to be almost complete reliable so far - I haven't seen a single dead one and they've been out about five years now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein