Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ebay tale of woe.......returned pedal n refund.

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
edited February 2014 in FX

A few weeks ago I sold a mk1  Marshall Guv'nor Pedal on ebay. 10 days after receiving the pedal I got an email about the pedal and a dispute/refund case opened on ebay. Pedal was said to be "not as described" Faulty. Now I had a good play with this pedal to say goodbye to it as I've bought n sold the original Guv'nor 3 or 4 times and always bought one back again after a few months. Hadn't used this for a while so thought get it on ebay on a free listing weekend and if it sells it sells and if not who cares. Anyway as said it sold..but after 10 days buyer wasn't happy and wanted a refund. I agreed for him to send the pedal back having lost my £5 postage to him as he got that back also in the refund. Anyway I knew if the buyer wasn't happy with his "faulty pedal" I was onto a loser with Paypal. So I asked him in an email what was the problem as the pedal worked fine for me before sending it...he said when you move the pots it cuts out and is unuseable unless a tech guy can service it. so I get it back just now plug it in...and after 10mins of playing and fiddling with all the pots everything seems to be working fine.

I was suspicious that it took him 10 days to decide he wasn't happy (yeah its possible he didn't try it when he got it..but unlikely). Starting to wonder if he simply decided he didn't want the pedal and made up the "faulty pedal" thing to get his refund....cos as stated the pedal seems to be working just fine here now. Seems when your a seller on ebay you always get the shit end of the stick. I'm £5 down on postage but I guess I'm half glad I've got the pedal back as it sounds good and it saves me buying another one again. But this is one of those things that is a pain in the ass with ebay...you are at the mercy of the buyer. If they decided they wanted their money back there's sod all you can do about it...unless they paid via cheque or cash. Paypal...good for the buyer. Crap for the seller as its always a lose lose.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10700
    I had that - after a week the guy said it worked fine plugged in but it didn't work with a battery. He sent it back; obviously it worked perfectly but I just had to accept it and lose the postage.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    HE sounds like a cock.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Had a similar thing with a T-Rex Gristle King I sold on ebay. The guy reckoned the voice toggle switch didn't do anything.
  • I tend not to sell on eBay, as transactions across friendly forums are normally smoother!  I can sell stuff a bit cheaper here, too, with no fees.  I'm more than happy to let someone pay the extra few bob to cover paypal fees if they'd rather not gift me :)
  • Name and shame!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72425
    This is one of the reasons I no longer sell on Ebay.

From the buyer's point of view, making a false claim for Not As Described or Faulty is a cast-iron way of getting your money back including postage, rather than accepting that you just don't like it and taking the hit to re-sell it yourself. Dishonest but hardly surprising given that Ebay hands the buyer all the cards now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11457
    This is why the inability to leave negative feedback for buyers is not good.  At least you'd have some redress under the old system.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557
    I tend not to sell on eBay, as transactions across friendly forums are normally smoother!  I can sell stuff a bit cheaper here, too, with no fees.  I'm more than happy to let someone pay the extra few bob to cover paypal fees if they'd rather not gift me :)
    Agreed, don't sell on ebay, I buy stuff from time to time but I don't sell, (yes I have a house full of stuff), but Ebay  it isn't what it once was.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    viz;162692" said:
    I had that - after a week the guy said it worked fine plugged in but it didn't work with a battery. He sent it back; obviously it worked perfectly but I just had to accept it and lose the postage.
    I had exactly this happen to me with a delay pedal last year. Said it didn't work on battery power, got it back, worked fine on battery power.

The pedal went back on my board and I've used it since, I decided it was a sign.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I have had one too recently - sold a body in October to a guy abroad, and heard no more. A week ago he raises a case saying he never received it. I got in touch with the courier, who apparently only keep records for 12 weeks, so stuffed basically.

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    In your case I think your ok as the buyer only has 30 days IIRC to make a claim...and October well past that !!
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited February 2014
    I've had the same problem recently selling on Amazon.

I sold a textbook that is for a specific subject.

Posted it off fine and payment went through OK.

26 days later I got a returns request saying that the buyer purchased the book but thought it was about something different (regardless of the obvious title and the fact you can look inside the book on Amazon).

I challenged the buyer with my suspicions that he’d purchased the book to write a technical paper and now he’d finished he just wanted to return for no reason other than not needing the book any more.

Amazon support got involved and I told them what happened and how I was selling books not running a library, but the crux was that as the buyer requested the return within 28 days I had no choice but to refund even though I knew it was all a load of crap.

Id sold a fair amount of stuff on Amazon successfully before with no problem but after this pain I’ve vowed after this incident that I’ll never sell outside of friends and forum again.

There are way too many people taking sellers for a ride.

Rant Over.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

*Woe.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    ha!

I sold a Badger Schism Parallel looper. I exchanged mails before the sale, explaining how to use it, how good it was for delays and mods, that you needed to set it up in certain ways....

Guy opened a case 'not as described blah blah..."

I corresponded with him- reason? 'Put my distortion pedals in it- made fuck all difference' !!!!!!!!!!

My gast was flabbered.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1594
    I sold a pedal a few years back, in one photo I plugged a PSU into it to show teh LED on.  You could see 3" on 9V cable sticking out the back. Absolutely no mentioned of the power supply being included in the sale. Other 4-5 pictures just unpowered pedal only.

Buyer emailed after a week complaing that teh power supply wasn't included and that's why he had bought it, you can guess the rest.

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    dano said:
    I sold a pedal a few years back, in one photo I plugged a PSU into it to show teh LED on.  You could see 3" on 9V cable sticking out the back. Absolutely no mentioned of the power supply being included in the sale. Other 4-5 pictures just unpowered pedal only.

Buyer emailed after a week complaing that teh power supply wasn't included and that's why he had bought it, you can guess the rest.

Had  this with a Fulltone CS Deja Vibe.

"The PS isn't Fulltone" 
    "No but it's the right one for it"
    "The amps are different"
    "It will only draw what it needs, that's how electronics work. You can underpower, but at 9v 400mA you can't really overpower"
    "I want a fulltone one"
    "What else do you power your pedals with?"
    "Voodoolabs PP2"
    "Perfect!"
    "But it's not Fulltone Custom Shop....!"

FFS!!!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72425
    martinw said:

*Woe.

I thought woh was better. More internetty.

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited February 2014
    I have had loads of these divots to the point where I have burned out all the possible ebay accounts I can use and so can no longer sell on there.

Even if selling stuff off of eBid or eCrater or anything that uses Paypal, then you get issues.

One thing I have found that is great to retaliate with is Google and Google Maps. Is quite useful getting a 'lie of the land'. One guy bought a DVD Tutorial from me for a Roland Synth. I also advertised a Resources Kit as a separate entity but he complained he never got that with his DVD - I said - is cos you didn't buy that... So he launches a case etc etc... of course typically they get their refund but NEVER send the stuff back... So I mentioned I knew where he lived and the school his little girl went to etc etc... how did I know? In the google map shot of his house were two pairs of wellies on front door step and one pair were a younguns in pink... Google Mapped up the road - school... then cross ref'd his FBook page - found also that he ran a bar in town... I also screengrabbed all his FB Friends so they could be contacted... he pulled the claim...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Even if selling stuff off of eBid or eCrater or anything that uses Paypal, then you get issues.

One thing I have found that is great to retaliate with is Google and Google Maps. Is quite useful getting a 'lie of the land'. One guy bought a DVD Tutorial from me for a Roland Synth. I also advertised a Resources Kit as a separate entity but he complained he never got that with his DVD - I said - is cos you didn't buy that... So he launches a case etc etc... of course typically they get their refund but NEVER send the stuff back... So I mentioned I knew where he lived and the school his little girl went to etc etc... how did I know? In the google map shot of his house were two pairs of wellies on front door step and one pair were a younguns in pink... Google Mapped up the road - school... then cross ref'd his FBook page - found also that he ran a bar in town... I also screengrabbed all his FB Friends so they could be contacted... he pulled the claim...
    Wow, I'm never going to hack you off.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    edited February 2014
    JookyChap said:
    I have had one too recently - sold a body in October to a guy abroad, and heard no more. A week ago he raises a case saying he never received it. I got in touch with the courier, who apparently only keep records for 12 weeks, so stuffed basically.
    Jooks,

Surely leaving it for so long disallows him from asking for a refund? 12 weeks is way more than enough time to realise something has gone missing.