Buffer pedal with foot switch for true bypass switch?

What's Hot
guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 376
Hey guys, does anyone know of such a pedal?

I found one from googling by a Swedish company (I think), but I couldn't see anywhere to buy it! I'd like such a pedal to put at the start of my pedals, mostly always left with the buffer on. Then when I want to use my fuzz pedal, I could just press the true bypass switch on and then put my fuzz on! 

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    edited June 2017
    Just put a standard non-switchable buffer after the fuzz pedal, it will work exactly the same. The length of cable from the fuzz to the buffer won't have any detectable effect on the sound.

Or you could modify the fuzz pedal with a miniature buffer kit in the bypass path, so you get either the fuzz or the buffer but not both - that way you only need one footswitch press to select it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for reply!

Oh that pedal mod sounds good! It's a fulltone 69, can it be done to that? 

I have considered just putting it after the fuzz but my pedals would go 

tuner - wah - vibe - fuzz - od - delay 

they're all true bypass so that's why I was thinking I'd like a buffer. 

So the buffer would be after 4 pedals? I guess I could move the tuner to after the buffer! 

Thanks again, appreciate the wisdom. 

• MPHMPH Frets: 56
    Should you still want to go down your original path, Bright Onion Pedals do one.

http://www.brightonion.co.uk/products/072-Buffer-Pedal-with-True-Bypass.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    edited July 2017

Oh that pedal mod sounds good! It's a fulltone 69, can it be done to that?
    Ah - no, that's more difficult because the '69 is a positive-ground pedal and I'm pretty sure the kits are negative-ground - they're designed for old wah pedals. You could still build one, if you wanted - using a positive-ground circuit as well.

I have considered just putting it after the fuzz but my pedals would go 

tuner - wah - vibe - fuzz - od - delay 

they're all true bypass so that's why I was thinking I'd like a buffer. 

So the buffer would be after 4 pedals? I guess I could move the tuner to after the buffer!

That should work fine - the biggest cause of tone suck in an all-true-bypass setup is actually the long cable to the amp, not the short patch cables between the pedals, so even having the buffer right at the end is enough to fix it unless you've got a huge board with loads of patch cables. The usual accepted 'cutoff' where you start to hear a difference is about 5-6 pedals, so after four should be OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys, given me a lot to think about! That bright onion pedal is just what I'm looking for! Thanks for that - great spot.