The Big Question: How To Make a Living In Music?

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
An insightful video by Rick Beato looking at the realities of earning from the music business.

Duration 37:55

Obviously US-centric, but in today's globalised industry, is there really that much difference here in the UK ?

Please feel free to add your experiences and points of view...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7320
    be a smug arse on Youtube
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

after all it was supposed to be the great democratiser you no longer needed a record company a video MTV like previous generations who were held back by corporate A&R and corporate execs rejecting your notion of making the difficult 3rd album a 3 disc trilogy of your poems with the LSO.

i made get of missed something if those bands or artist exists these days but that's how I thought people would be making music when the Internet go going.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited July 2017
    Yes @57Deluxe ;, but I think he is trying to be a genuinely helpful smug arse.  He just has that sort of smile and demeanour  :o3

It appears from some of his recent video streams that he is looking at growing and monetising his YouTube channel.  That would look like a bit of a career change, either because it is an exciting new frontier, or it is just an easier way to make a living, especially as the industry continues to change.  So I guess he is voting with his "feet" too...

• MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I thought the answer was - be a producer for a lot of artists ... or be a very popular artist... was that not right?
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    The only correct answer is you *won't* earn a penny in music unless you're a watered down, BGT Lite, fun draining novelty act that nobody will have heard of or care about by this evening....

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

I think the thing I wonder is why there are so few completely internet based artists who rise to international superstar 

Some of it is where the industry trawl YouTube and other media to look for the next upcoming "safe bet".  They really don't want to take the risk on new talent, just what is already established, in demand terms.  Think Bieber (or try not to!)

A good example of someone doing it for themselves is Stormzy, so it is happening...

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10342
     Making money from selling original music must be extremely difficult now.  People generally expect music for nothing nowadays ....  The revenue from streaming sites is pathetic 

I do know of some recent success stories but these are from people who had the money to back themselves to begin with.  They are now reaping the rewards and making a lot of money  being effectively their own record company  and having a product which most people prefer to buy  in physical CD format as that's the age range . 

I make a living out of music by playing live ...  playing covers ...  Pubs, weddings, corporate gigs.  Quite a few of my friends do exactly the same. They supplement the income with a bit of teaching, I supplement my income with a bit of electronics repair.   Some months there is so many gigs  it's not necessary to do anything other than play in the  evening. 

I know a lot of people would absolutely hate it . Playing other peoples music et cetera !! but I actually don't mind it ... I really enjoy the lifestyle 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    @colourofsound , you may be interested in taking a look at the OP video, given the tack of one of your recent threads.

• @colourofsound , you may be interested in taking a look at the OP video, given the tack of one of your recent threads.
    Cheers buddy, will check it out :)
  • Danny1969 said:
     Making money from selling original music must be extremely difficult now.  People generally expect music for nothing nowadays ....  The revenue from streaming sites is pathetic 

I do know of some recent success stories but these are from people who had the money to back themselves to begin with.  They are now reaping the rewards and making a lot of money  being effectively their own record company  and having a product which most people prefer to buy  in physical CD format as that's the age range . 

I make a living out of music by playing live ...  playing covers ...  Pubs, weddings, corporate gigs.  Quite a few of my friends do exactly the same. They supplement the income with a bit of teaching, I supplement my income with a bit of electronics repair.   Some months there is so many gigs  it's not necessary to do anything other than play in the  evening. 

I know a lot of people would absolutely hate it . Playing other peoples music et cetera !! but I actually don't mind it ... I really enjoy the lifestyle 
    Do you have to travel a lot? I could do weddings etc but where i live there just isn't the number of decent paid gigs to earn a living. Very active pub-gig circuit but its very low paying; however some of my mates in the big city earn their crust from function work
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17453
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    I know someone who plays in two bands:

One is the band of a solo artist you have definitely heard off who had a number of top 10 hits in the 70's/80's. With this band he typically tours Europe playing festivals.

He also plays in a top end function band. He earns about twice as much for the latter, but still works as a decorator in between as he doesn't earn enough from his two bands.

Another person I know is an exceptional classical musician and tours with a number of the top orchestras in the country (not as a soloist just rank and file). She is in her late 30's and still lives with her parents.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    It's all relative to your needs, I know several people making money from music if not their whole living, not all of them well paid but several comfortable. Most people need to do more than one thing (generally teach and perform), except those that work in Secondary or Higher Education - the guys I know working in HE own nice houses (but it is cheaper to live on the NW).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10342
    Danny1969 said:

Do you have to travel a lot? I could do weddings etc but where i live there just isn't the number of decent paid gigs to earn a living. Very active pub-gig circuit but its very low paying; however some of my mates in the big city earn their crust from function work
    No I don't travel much, most gigs are within 30 miles of Portsmouth. I got a corporate gig on Wednesday night in Warwick which is a good 2 & 1\2 hours drive but that's unusual. Most corporate stuff is London but that's only 65 miles from me

It's a shame about the pub scene rates in other parts of the country. We are lucky in Portsmouth as venues will pay up tp £500 for a good band and you can get up to 2K for a wedding gig.
    It's not hard to earn £1100 or so  a month which isn't a lot but if you keep your cost of living down it's enough 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1071
    Very very difficult to make money to live off from one income stream. I'm a private tutor and its been going for about 9 years and its ok, has it ups and downs but I don't bring in enough to get a one-bedroom house in London, let pay off a mortgage, so its tough. People are flaky, mess you about with payments and at some point move on with their lives meaning they give up lessons. The demand for guitar tuition has fallen (in my area anyway) and I seem to have suffered a high turnover rate since 2017 kicked in. Only just taken on a new beginner this week after 6 months of advertising.

I'm trying to look for another role somewhere, maybe a sound guy at a local venue, or a music shop (even though they're in dying existence round here) and even cover band/function stuff so I have a variety of jobs and income. 

Unless you're Oasis or the Arctic Monkeys you're not going to make much money off originals music. Live audiences have also decline and many music venues are shutting, alot of bands I know have had to split due to living costs and no money from the band which is sad to see.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14257
    The easiest way to make money from the music industry is as a facilitator or in management. Provide a necessary service for which others will a) pay and b) specifically seek you out. 

A character in my area divides his time between instrument repairs and small scale gigging. There is not enough of either type of work to survive on in any comfort.

In the U.K., the music industry has an obvious and direct parallel in the theatre business. How do you get noticed in either of these? You get lucky with a surprise hit. Once your name and success are known, demand will (hopefully) snowball. 

Readers of "Believe Me" by Eddie Izzard will know that his "overnight success" took ten years of working his butt off in unglamorous circumstances. Some productions were good. Some were terrible. Eventually, the guy got spotted and given a break.

Simon Cowell may well be an obnoxious get but he does know what sells. He is unashamed about putting his money behind acts that will usually generate even more money for him. One hit would suffice. 

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    1. Dumb luck
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16227
    I've never known many pro musicians well, the only one I knew wellish played and sang in his own 3 piece band. Ancient gear that was maintained and seldom changed and a circuit of pubs playing blues and rock covers. Lovely guitarist who had played in the past with some fairly well known people and when I knew him made a living out of surprisingly small gigs. The money was only split 3 ways and they had minimal costs so he got by on this. Not a very luxurious lifestyle but a pretty relaxed one, he seemed a happy  chappy. 

I also used used to know a pro comedian who wasn't in the slightest bit famous ( he was married to someone I worked with) and he made seriously good money. Pubs, clubs and holiday parks plus the ( fairly low) salary his wife was on and they lived in definite style. 

The easiest way to make money from the music industry is as a facilitator or in management. Provide a necessary service for which others will a) pay and b) specifically seek you out. 

A character in my area divides his time between instrument repairs and small scale gigging. There is not enough of either type of work to survive on in any comfort.

In the U.K., the music industry has an obvious and direct parallel in the theatre business. How do you get noticed in either of these? You get lucky with a surprise hit. Once your name and success are known, demand will (hopefully) snowball. 

Readers of "Believe Me" by Eddie Izzard will know that his "overnight success" took ten years of working his butt off in unglamorous circumstances. Some productions were good. Some were terrible. Eventually, the guy got spotted and given a break.

Simon Cowell may well be an obnoxious get but he does know what sells. He is unashamed about putting his money behind acts that will usually generate even more money for him. One hit would suffice. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I liked Rick's vids, there's some useful knowledge on his channel but I had to unsubscribe in the end as I was getting spammed daily.

As well as his regular vids he does live streaming, which is great if you are into the q&a stuff but sending out daily reminder emails is a bit over the top imho.

As for making a living from music, one way is to find a niche. I used to write loop packs for GarageBand until everyone else started doing it, but for a couple of years it paid the bills.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4936
    The clichéd 'hobby that pays the bills' is merely a cliché . @Danny1969 and a few others have managed to make a living from music but they are the exceptions. Like having an interest or skills in computing and photography, the reality of making a living from these interests is far removed from the dream. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• dindudedindude Frets: 8533
    Rocker said:
    The clichéd 'hobby that pays the bills' is merely a cliché . @Danny1969 and a few others have managed to make a living from music but they are the exceptions. Like having an interest or skills in computing and photography, the reality of making a living from these interests is far removed from the dream. 
    @danny1969, full respect, but his music income equates to around a £16K salary. I'd have to REALLY enjoy what I did for that.