Shoegaze

What's Hot
Thanks to @Bucket posting a Ride song on a post about bass tone, I've discovered that I really, really, REALLY like Shoegaze.  

So thanks.  

Any other fans?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes! I was raised on post-punk more than anything else, so it's a logical progression. Ride, Lush, Slowdive, MBV, Curve were all great. There's some pretty good modern stuff as well: SPC ECO and Daysleepers being my favourites.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I'm just going to leave this here.

That guitar tone is incredible too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Bucket said:
    I'm just going to leave this here.

That guitar tone is incredible too.
    It's brilliant! And so different to what I usually write, maybe I'll look into doing stuff like this.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Leave Them All Behind is up there as one of my favourite songs of all time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    It's weird, I'd not heard "Going Blank Again".

I had the Ride album with the blue pic of a wave and my ex- had "Going Blank Again" so, even though I burned a copy, I never got around to playing it until the other day.  What a great album.

Curve, I've always liked.  Not tons, but enough.

Latest find, (probably about 27 years behind everyone else), is 65daysofstatic.  Listening to the album "Wild Light" on Spotify and liking it so much haven't got around to their others yet.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    This.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited February 2014
    It's brilliant! And so different to what I usually write, maybe I'll look into doing stuff like this.
    That whole album just sounds great too... the guitar tones, the bass tones, the drum sounds - not to mention the actual drumming - wow! Listen from about 3 mins into Cool Your Boots where he will occasionally slip into double time for a single bar, seemingly at random, never heard that before but it sounds awesome. And the songs are brilliant.

Not such a fan of their first album - it has some cool moments but the vocals are pretty much shite. You can definitely see a major progression between that and Going Blank Again. The first one does have a cool album cover though.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • I saw Ride at the Town and Country when they toured in support of their first album. The thing I remember most is when I suddenly realised that they were younger than me. That was a first. First Lp was quite MBV style, Going Blank Again was far more tuneful. Saw Curve and Swervedriver in a double header at Brixton Academy. I loved both bands but Curves sequencer was on the blink so Dean Garcia had to go off stage after every song to start the next one! \m/
    Link to my trading feedback
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    YES! I love shoegaze - all the bands already mentioned, that whole early 90s era before Britpop took over I find fascinating. Lush especially - I think I have a full collection of all their releases, including the singles. Slowdive - Pygmalion is a wonderful album, I guess getting a bit away from what you could call mainstream shoegaze, but still, under-appreciated imo. Chapterhouse, just to mention another band...
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    True widow are a great current band that describe themselves as stonegaze. Sorry, on phone so no links.
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Yeah, loved all the above - saw most of them a few times, though never looked anyone in the eye.
    I'd throw the Cocteau twins in there too for the music if not the vocals and the whole Mortal Coil thing too. Galaxie 500 were brilliant too

• ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Check out the Cheatahs album which was released last week - obviously influenced by MBV. There's also a large dose of Swervedriver in there which brings me on to this classic:

The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1209
    edited February 2014
    New track from Swervedriver and new LP due 2014!! :)>-

Link to my trading feedback
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    mogwai really deserve a mention here too!
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    d8m said:

That's the song I always think of when someone mentions shoegaze.
  • I definitely need to reqire my jazzbastard.  My poor soldering skills at the time have let me down, and the 3 way needs replacing.  

But when I do, I think I'm going to be using the clean channel and an OD pedal an awful lot more than normal ;)

Another nice thing is, without the technical elements of my usual playing, I feel a lot freer to use simpler, more melodic phrases over normal chord progressions.  It's like a breath of fresh air in my playing.  

Couple all of this for my love of Warpaint, and I think I'm a convert.