Should I sell my vintage amp

What's Hot
AllthegearNoideaAllthegearNoidea Frets: 293
edited July 2017 in Amps
I have a 1969 silverface fender princeton reverb. Was USA voltage but the transformer has been professionally changed to UK voltage. I have the original transformer as well. A couple of filters habe also been changed. Some work on the vibrato as well to make this stronger but apart from that all original according to the seller who I know and trust. 

I worry about long term value and reliability although I don't gig. I had a Carr Sportsman which I misguidely sold and was wondering what opinions there are on vintage amps over boutique amps for the bedroom guitarist. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8n8bq5rgwko8tc/20170702_115034.jpg?raw=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38k41ljjop3gkd1/20170702_115051.jpg?raw=1
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    If things go wrong it will be easy enough to fix so I think the question is less about reliability than which amp you prefer tonally and if you like vintage things in general for vibe.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    As already said, there's nothing in that amp which won't be fixable for as long as valves and discrete electronic components are available. If anything it's less of a potential problem even than the bigger Fender amps, since it doesn't use an opto-coupler in the tremolo. (For what it's worth, if the tremolo wasn't very strong, check that it isn't biased wrongly - the trem works by modulating that.)

It's pretty much the ideal bedroom amp too, and although I think we may be not far off 'peak amp' in terms of values, it's unlikely ever to go down in value either - it's always going to be a classic amp in very nice condition.

So unless you don't like it or you have no use for it, no I would not sell it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It's my favourite amp and I don't need to sell so thanks for the repairability  advice. I'll keep it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    good call
  • HoofHoof Frets: 494
    You definitely should sell it. To me. For £50. I'm doing you a favour mate.

Seriously, until you need the money more than the amp then hang on to it. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    It's in an obviously extremely dangerous state and you risk fatal electrocution if you so much as look at it. I can dispose of it safely for you.
  • Thanks guys. I'll wear by rubber gloves. 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    FWIW for about three years I had a lovely wine red Sportsman and an original silverface PR. Not a lot to choose between them tonally. But I sold the Sportsman, kept the PR and never regretted.

Since then I have stuck a Celestion Gold in the PR and it has improved an already delicious tone no end 

• Since then I have stuck a Celestion Gold in the PR and it has improved an already delicious tone no end 
    That would be interesting to try on mine. My speaker has been reconed but is possibly the weakest link
    edited July 2017
    My favourite speaker for princetons, other then the 60s gold label Jensen C10n are the new Eminence alessandro GA10-SC64.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    No. Don't sell it.

Princetons are the ultimate utility amp.

Yours is a peach.

You'll never get what it is worth to you and you'll regret it 2 weeks later.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    J, as you know I have done some work on this amp in the past, the previous owner wanted the trem oscillator slowing down and also a little more output, due to the style of music he was playing, the transformer and filter cap swap have also been well done. Its a beauty to be honest and being an early drip edge, just about as collectible as any SF is likely to be - hang on to it :)  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    DJH83004 said:
    J, as you know I have done some work on this amp in the past, the previous owner wanted the trem oscillator slowing down and also a little more output, due to the style of music he was playing, the transformer and filter cap swap have also been well done. Its a beauty to be honest and being an early drip edge, just about as collectible as any SF is likely to be - hang on to it :)  
    Ah! I forgot... yes, I remember you mentioning it now. That makes sense - the Princeton trem never quite has the depth of the opto type normally - although I prefer the actual 'sound' of it, it's somehow less 'straight up and down' than the opto is, if that makes sense…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Perfect sense IC, the optos seem more on / off, whereas the bias modulation sounds sweeter to my ears, there must be some maths behind it, but getting too old to contemplate it :s  
  • I must admit it's by far my favourite amp. Thanks for advice everyone 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    JBL D110F for the speaker win!

(the Celst gold @jimkehoe is selling is also stunning)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.