Telecaster bigsbyfication

What's Hot
Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
edited July 2017 in Making & Modding

An afternoon with a drill, screwdriver, and a B5 kit. Bring on the yaysayers and unleash the naysayers, let battle commence. 

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/thompy2/IMG_1525_zpsal3jtq30.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e259/thompy2/IMG_1523_zpsgratcfdc.jpg

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    Fucking HELL I hate photobucket. Post GOD DAMN YOU!!!!!

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    A big fat "Yarp" from me. Teles and Gretsches are the best bigsby-holders by far. 

Is that your old blue one stripped & refinned, or something new?

(Photobucket's gone to shit - most of us use imgur now!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

This one's something new ish. The blue one is still blue, this a diy-er I made years ago that I've decided to give a new lease of life to.

• That's a hell yes from me.

The orange with pearl scratchplate and maple neck reminds me of the G&L ASAT I had that I didn't get on with but loved the look of.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Yep they look cool.

Having done the exact same thing this weekend, then took it all back off again (see my thread elsewhere), I decided that Bigsbys and I don't mix.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    How has the Bigsby changed the normal sound and dynamics of of the guitar?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    How has the Bigsby changed the normal sound and dynamics of of the guitar?

I don't thick its affected it much tbh, it still sound like a tele though the action is a bit higher than it was previously.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Very nice - good to see you've done it the righteous way with the horseshoe bridgeplate and rocker bridge, not the cheating way with a slotted standard bridge :). It does make it somewhat less reversible if you drill it for the thimbles though...

I think it does change the sound a little and the dynamics quite a lot too, which is unfortunate as I love Bigsbys but prefer the stock Tele sound/response, and I can never quite get both on the same guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Looks great. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I love my tele. I love my tele's Bigsby. I love your tele.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    love it!
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited July 2017
    ICBM said:
    Very nice - good to see you've done it the righteous way with the horseshoe bridgeplate and rocker bridge, not the cheating way with a slotted standard bridge . It does make it somewhat less reversible if you drill it for the thimbles though...

I think it does change the sound a little and the dynamics quite a lot too, which is unfortunate as I love Bigsbys but prefer the stock Tele sound/response, and I can never quite get both on the same guitar.

Interesting that you think using the original bridge is cheating, Jack White seems to disagree:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    olafgarten said:

Interesting that you think using the original bridge is cheating, Jack White seems to disagree:
    Is that the Jack White who is notorious for always playing in tune?

;)

It does work - certainly with the polished steel saddles, which I think is what he's using (although the lighting makes it hard to be sure) - but there's quite a lot of friction as the strings move over them which can cause trouble, particularly with brass saddles. The rocker bridge was purposely fitted by Fender to avoid that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Looks awesome 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I like the look of a Bigsby on a Tele, makes sense of that space behind the bridge. Although I've never got on well with a Tele or a Bigsby so I would probably hate playing the thing but it looks nice! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    Love it. Tele. Bigsby. What's not to like??