Now Sorted . . . Gassing for a decent Vox AC30 . . .

maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 558
edited July 2017 in Amps
Its killing me . . . I miss my old AC 30 . . It was old & scruffy but it had tone in spades . . Loud or soft it was a dream . . Mine was point to point, hand wired but it didn't have the valve rectifier, it had a solid state rectifier . . .  I'll have to sell my Cornell Romany Plus to fund the AC30 as well as my Telecaster but the GAS is strong so its going to happen soon . . . GAS is so cruel sometimes !!!
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    What model ac30 did you have....old 70s green panel?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    I sympathise. It happened to me too - sold my AC30 handwired early last year, and I lasted until last month before I had to buy another AC30. This one's a '90s TB, sounds fantastic.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 558
    siraxeman said:
    What model ac30 did you have....old 70s green panel?
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/27245/ft-vox-ac30-dallas-arbiter-1974-for-something-with-humbuckers

It was basically the same as this with Greenbacks . . . . Happy days :-) 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Cirrus said:
    I sympathise. It happened to me too - sold my AC30 handwired early last year, and I lasted until last month before I had to buy another AC30. This one's a '90s TB, sounds fantastic.

Did you by the Fawn beauty from the Classifieds? I want another TBX, still have my handwired but wish I'd kept the TBX which I sold a couple of years prior to getting the handwired...2 AC30s running at once sounds like its worth the effort to cart about and set up/down each gig.
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1442
    More sympathies here too. I went around the houses thinking there was something better than my old AC30TBX, there wasn't.

I now have two JMI 60's top boosts and couldn't be happier. Best tone I've ever had.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    A conversation I might have with my wife: -

"There were these gorgeous shoes in the shop, just perfect I loved them.."
    "cool, did you buy them?"
    "No...."

Now every other post on the Fretboard: -

"I used to have this guitar/amp/pedal and it was perfect just perfect...wish I had it back again"
    "oh cool, so why did you sell it...?"

The mystery is, there are SO FEW female guitarists! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited July 2017
    siraxeman said:
    Cirrus said:

Did you by the Fawn beauty from the Classifieds? I want another TBX, still have my handwired but wish I'd kept the TBX which I sold a couple of years prior to getting the handwired...2 AC30s running at once sounds like its worth the effort to cart about and set up/down each gig.
    No, but I was sorely tempted. It was just one that popped up on ebay - spotted it the night before it ended, put in a cheeky last minute bid on the drive to work (I stopped the car...  ) and won it for just over £400. Actually, it wasn't a '90s one - 2003, now I check the listing again.

Not really wanting to engage in model oneupmanship, but it really does have *something* the CCs I had, even the Handwired one I had, didn't. It feels more immediate, takes pedals better, responds to dynamics better... downside, and I was surprised, is that in terms of build it's not even a patch on the old CC series - the PCB is flimsier, the heater wiring is pathetic - I'm going to re-do it to try to get the buzz down as it's quite noisy when idling. The cab's well build though and the tone is fantastic, so I don't want to go diving in randomly "upgrading" things like I've done in the past.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    There is a jmi AC 30 on here - one of the re-made ones of 5 years ago 
    They are a very faithful repro and sound superb
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I've always wanted one.