At what point is it ok....

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22826

I'd be up for it again, though, where we did it in Leicester (Quad) is a great place with some awesome amps and drums set up ready. At £16 an hour it's far from the most expensive place in town, either.
    @TheOtherDennis  You're already starting to sound like a man with renewed confidence...!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I would personally love to do this.

I'll talk to @Bridgehouse and see what we can arrange but as we found out in Leicester, it absolutely revolves around having a decent drummer there. At the Jam in Leicester, we didn't and the comparison between that and the frankly amazing day we all had in Walsall a few months earlier was huge.

Walsall was one of the best Jams of all of them if not THE best and it was all down to the people who attended.
     @not_the_dj
     @jonnybradford
     @IanSavage
     @vasselmeyer

........Among quite a few others and having Ian Savage and Jonny Bradford there provided the perfect backing for the guitarists. Also, Ian brought the PA and we were upstairs at a music pub who left us alone and let us make as much noise as we wanted.
    It was an epic day.
    Actually, it was a 9-hour piss up but that's another story.

If we do this at Quad Studio we already have PA and Mics etc but we will absolutely need the drums to turn up or there's just a room full of noise with nothing to gel it all together.
    I would go as far as to say that until we get a drummer 100% confirmed then it's not worth confirming because there's always going to be enough guitars and bass but without the drums, it's impossible to play anything coherent.
    If we can nail down a drummer then yes let's do it.
    I've tagged Ian above but I don't know if he's still about. For me, he's one of the best drummers I ever played alongside and I would do anything to get this together if he's 100% confirmed to be there, it would make my whole summer to do that.
    There are other drummers and I'm sure they're good but I *know* Ian loves these Jam sessions so if he's still about and wants to do this then it's going to be a good day guaranteed!

Count me in as long as we can get that backing sorted.
    It'll be my first time in that situation since my health issues started those years ago so Den,......you're not exactly on your own this time man!

I'll get practising I think.

:)
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    I would certainly come down to Leicester for a jam with you guys. I really enjoyed the last couple. Mark's right though, there has to be a drummer there or it just doesn't work. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited July 2017
    Don't be too proud to have a few lessons, even now. Built-up bad habits and even lack of breathing(!) properly can all anchor you to your current skill level. It may be a few simple things that you just don't see currently...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Same here. i'm up for a jam with you guys again. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @Alnico is right - needs a drummer or it won't work. 

If it's going to work we need a fixed date and place, and then hopefully we can identify a drummer.

At that point I would say it's a go-er 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797

If it's going to work we need a fixed date and place, and then hopefully we can identify a drummer.

I'll drum for you.
    octatonic said:

I'll drum for you.
    Good man. And I'm happy to bass away to make sure we have a back line for the day.

Its probably important we pick a day we can both definitely do then. Early August a goer at all?
    octatonic said:

I'll drum for you.
    Good man. And I'm happy to bass away to make sure we have a back line for the day.

Its probably important we pick a day we can both definitely do then. Early August a goer at all?
    I can't do early August.
    I can do any weekend after the 16th.
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

I'll drum for you.

I can't do early August.
    I can do any weekend after the 16th.
    Let me have a look at the diary then... or we could wait till after holiday season and go for early September?
    @octatonic
    Thank you, that's really good of you to do this.

@not_the_dj
    @vasselmeyer ;
    It would be great to see you again

Quad studios in Leicester is THE place for this. The big room is BIG with plenty of space and sofas, it's what we had last time so a few will remember.

@ennspek you're going to this whether you like it or not!

@Flink_Poyd are you going to come along?

Waiting until September sits better with me for a few reasons if that fits with everyone else?

That's sorted then. 

I will have a chat to @Alnico and @octatonic  to get some basic details sorted then we can invite people along.

Quad would indeed be best, and I'm sure we can get the big room.

I would just add - it would be great to get some time aside in the day for those with no experience of playing live with others to get some experience - we don't bite. Well, not unless asked..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I would just add - it would be great to get some time aside in the day for those with no experience of playing live with others to get some experience - we don't bite. Well, not unless asked..
    That's a great idea.
    Agree entirely.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Sept better for me as we're pretty busy over the school holidays. 
    Sept is good for me if I t is a weekend daytime.
    I might need to pack up about 5-6 and get to a gig down south as I have a pretty full docket that month but that is fine.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    @Alnico I'd come down even if it's just to make the tea. 
    @strumjoughlamps was there last time as we. Up for it?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

octatonic said:
    Sept is good for me if I t is a weekend daytime.
    I might need to pack up about 5-6 and get to a gig down south as I have a pretty full docket that month but that is fine.
    Quad will undoubtedly run on a 4-hour slot booking but last time we paid for an extra hour (I think) and they didn't mind because there wasn't anyone booked right after us.
    I think if we aim for a 12 pm start then that gives everyone time to get there and means you could easily be done and going by 5 pm.

For anyone who thinks 4-5 hours isn't enough, you would be really surprised how long that actually is when you don't have a full, pre-prepared set to rehearse and you're looking for ideas on what to play etc.
    This will easily allow us some time for some tuition, jamming on a more basic level for beginners and playing as an ensemble. If we're lucky enough to get some really good players attending and some of the guys who've all played together before, there will still be time for that as well.

@strumjoughlamps .......if this fits with your schedule, would you be able to give us your photography/video skills for the afternoon again? After last time I just have to ask. You're a definite pro in this field and to get some really great shots of this would be fantastic for all of us. You would, of course, be most welcome to join in with the music at whatever level you want to?

@TheOtherDennis ........you are categorically BANNED from paying the whole bill for the studio this time! It was a very nice gesture that you did that last time and you're a genuinely good guy for that but with enough people there, it shouldn't cost each person much to be there at all.
    This said it will need paying for up front as far as the booking is concerned but I'm sure we can organise that and maybe if we get a list of 'Definites' together, we could ask people to pay in advance so that one person doesn't have to fork out in advance?

Based on a 4-hour slot @ £16 per hour that's........er..........£64. and extra hour would make that £76.
    If we get just 10 people that's only £7.60 each!!!

I don't think it's too much to ask for people to send payment in advance for this so that one of us can place the booking.

What say you guys?
    @Alnico I'd come down even if it's just to make the tea. 
    @strumjoughlamps was there last time as we. Up for it?
    Nice one man.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I think this should be split into a different thread. If @TheOtherDennis pays a penny this time I'll refuse to show up, not much of a threat but you get the idea :)
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....