Is it me, or are these Yamaha SG prices getting a bit silly?

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
edited July 2017 in Guitar
I mean, it's nice and all, but..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122581433085
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    One or two price gougers on ebay can't artificially inflate the value of these guitars, but they're trying. Same for the person who's selling an impressive range of awesome MIJ Mustangs, all vastly overvalued. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    There's one in Richards Guitars (*gasp*) for £4.5k as well.

Am I missing something bleeding obvious here? I mean Carlos S was good.. but.. but..

*shakes head*

I don't get it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Something to do with ladies reaching their peak at 40, perhaps?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    Well, something is worth what someone will pay for it.
    The top Yammys are good, but not worth that much of my money.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    I don't get it either - I've commented before but I'm either losing it or there is a lot of speculative pricing going on - Outlets like E-bay or Reverb or indeed FB, allow sellers to dangle a carrot and see what happens with barely any expenses involved  - No joy and they can leave it for another day unless funds are urgently required, in which case common sense applies - If it sells then all well and good - Part of the issue is that even if it doesn't sell, other potential sellers see such prices and they can become a bench mark for the future

As a dealer I would not be prepare to pay 4 or 5K on such a guitar to hope I get a 5-6K sale

I would suspect that if dealers are asking such prices then they are commission sales and again they can join in with such speculative pricing - I can't see dealers investing such funds on such pieces
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I'd rather have a Terry Morgan at that price - or two Duesenbergs....
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 966
    edited July 2017
    £249 postage costs...!! talk about squeeze as much money out of a sale as possible...
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    They've always been sought after for sustain mojo (can't be the weight !!!!!)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14245
    tFB Trader
    Jalapeno said:
    They've always been sought after for sustain mojo (can't be the weight !!!!!)
    the guitar might have sustain but I'm not sure the market can sustain such a price
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    I don't understand buying a guitar for its sustain. I've never been playing and thought that my guitars aren't holding notes for long enough. How long are you trying to hold a note for that you need to buy a specific guitar to do it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    All Japanese guitars seem to be getting silly, like it's some sort of hallowed ground.

Same as how age seems to add value, even if the era of birth was a shit era.

"This guitar was shit in 1970, but now it's 45 years old and shit, so that'll be £1000 please."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5038
    I'd rather have a Terry Morgan at that price - or two Duesenbergs....
    You wouldn't get a Terry Morgan for that price!  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    It's deeply horrible, as is the price.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Jack_ said:
    All Japanese guitars seem to be getting silly, like it's some sort of hallowed ground.

Same as how age seems to add value, even if the era of birth was a shit era.

"This guitar was shit in 1970, but now it's 45 years old and shit, so that'll be £1000 please."
    Exactly. People seem to forget that the original reason 50's stuff got expensive is because 70's stuff was shite.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I agree that there are some ridiculously overpriced Yamaha SG's out there, they are ok but only really became popular back in the day because they were cheaper than a Les Paul and better at the time, LP's of the 70's were generally woeful. There is one chap on eBay who seems to not actually want to sell his collection because the prices are that crazy 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Nope. Silly prices.

There's one in Richards Guitars (*gasp*) for £4.5k as well.

Oh yes, but these aren't just guitars... these are Richards Guitars. He will have checked it for being perfection first and then written a diatribe on Facebook about how appalling the rest of them were that he turned down.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    I mean, it's nice and all, but..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122581433085

The seller joined and departed from this very forum some time ago, following some dodgy practices, IIRC. He also consistently claimed that he was a "...collector, parting with a few guitars", rather than a dealer.

He sells on pretty much every available platform, under multiple ID's - jaysgrocker2000, Joey Moorewood,  Jay's Gear Depot, Elite Vintage Guitars, Elite Vintage Guitars...by Jay, etc. I'd also like to bet that "Henri Mood" and Mr. Moorewood aren't ever in the same room at the same time, either... ;)

His prices are consistently way OTT.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Quick, fetch my smelling salts, @Bridgehouse has a 6 string avatar.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    He pressed the zero before the decimal point, easy mistake to make.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    JezWynd said:
    Quick, fetch my smelling salts, @Bridgehouse has a 6 string avatar.

It won't last. I just like to stir up the old lags every now and again!